Subject: More games like TotAN? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I have been absolutely adoring the game, and I was wondering if anything else like it exists?

I can feel some of its game design DNA in games like Fortune and Glory, as well as Arkham Horror, but only in small doses. We really love the purity of focus... Tales wants to procedurally write a character/story, and does so by brute-force, wealth of narrative options.

Anything else similar we might want to check out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Leonard
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agents of SMERSH is similar, and there is the print and play Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game. Those are the only ones I can think of right now. I did back The 7th Continent in the hopes of something similar, if less character/story driven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley M
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Greatest Game Ever
mbmbmbmbmb
Above and Below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Riddlebox85 wrote:

I was a little disappointed by the storytelling aspect in this one:
-My decisions were driven by what I could realistically roll on some dice
-After the decision and dice rolls, I only knew what rewards I got, not a clear description of what happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: The Adventure Game was released in the same timeframe as the first edition of TOTAN and features similar gameplay. Players explore planets with plotlines paralleling the original series, but earning different resolutions based on the choices made and skill composition of the landing party. It's a two player game with one player being the Federation and the other being the Klingon Empire.

The game has some clunky mechanics such as tracking ship movement and crew, and at some point during play if you go on expeditions every turn (which is the fun part of the game), you will TPK (total party kill) your landing party, putting you at a severe disadvantage since your named crew has 3-4 skills and the unnamed replacement crewmembers only get 1 skill.

I would happily pay the exhorbitant licensing fee surcharge for an updated version of this game if the redesign quality met the bar of the 2009 Totan re-release which included streamlining some game systems and a better graphic design. Expanded stories could be generated by mining subsequent Trek series with everything explained as being in the JJ Abraham's reboot universe, hence the different outcomes from episode canon.

Of course, I realize this is all a pipe-dream because licensing alone would kill this project, and a generic "space" reskin wouldn't work as part of the appeal of this game is recognizing the episode and seeing things turn out different, even if the difference means Kirk, Spock, and McCoy getting permanently marooned or killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manus trium
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though it is really quite different, I actually get a bit of the same feel as Arabian Nights when I play Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jovel Castaneda
Philippines
Makati / Marikina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ironically we backed Agents of Smersh's reprint/expansion on KS so we have it sitting here, unplayed. It sounds like it will be a perfect treat for us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Seconded! As mentioned, Star Trek: The Adventure Game is a terrific game - and the one that most reminds me of Tales when playing.

Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases is a favorite of mine. If it is of interest, there was a sister game set in the 1930s, Gumshoe, that is pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Snow
United States
Millcreek
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
University of Utah - Go Utes!
mbmbmbmbmb

Apparently there is a similar game in the works with an Arthurian Legend theme. I don't know any details but there is a thread about it here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1004416/did-one-guests-anno...

Hopefully it is not just rumor. Sounds like a blast to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to SMERSH and Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective....also watch for the soon to be released Arkham Investigator (name may change).

Cannot wait for 7th Continent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to shamelessly plug my own Mabinogion design here https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/24856/mabinogion. I designed the game long before I'd ever played and loved the peerless Z-Man version of TotAN, but there's definitely a similarity in the focus on quests and story. People who've taken the hit on the high price (price is set at cost from Gamecrafter, I don't make any profit on a sale) seem to have enjoyed it in that way anyway. There's a lot more in the way of player interaction though. It's more like a cross between TotAN and Kingmaker. It's not available right now but should be back online soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.