Hide
9 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: After resolving a X encounter you may... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Wolf
msg tools
A fair number of cards, mysteries and even one adventure I've come across have text that reads

Quote:
After resolving a X encounter you may ...
And then permit certain actions (flip task unique assets, perform actions on e.g. mineralogical asset).

Example: (there are many similar dictating different types of encounters)

My question is, what constitutes resolving an encounter? Is it enough to simply have drawn an (appropriate) encounter card and resolved it fully (for better or worse) or do you need to gain a "successful" outcome?

Initially, I interpreted these as requiring a "successful" outcome, but sometimes it can be hard to define what constitutes success. For example if an encounter offers you the option to become delayed to gain an effect. Does it count as failed if you decline?

That led me to think that perhaps I was overthinking this and that you just needed to do the encounter and the outcome (short of the investigator being defeated) was irrelevant.

What is the correct way to handle these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: After resolving a XXX encounter you may...
Well, it seems straightforward :

After resolving a X encounter, do Y means 'after going through an X encounter from begining to end, if you are survived, do Y'.

But honestly I can't remember any card like this (Note that I have only the first expansion).

However I remember cards like : "After a monster encounter, if you killed the monster, do Y." or "If you gain the clue of a clue encounter, do Y".
In that case, you'll to fulfill the condition to do the 'Y' part, not just survive the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Roy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you're overthinking it. Just need to finish the encounter, fail or success doesn't matter.
It makes sure you at least get something out of the encounter and not just a waste of time, especially if it's a courier run you traveled halfway around the world for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you give us an actual example of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wolf
msg tools
I've updated my question with one example. There are many others that use the same "after resolving a TYPE encounter you may ..." pattern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
I think the game does not even have "successfully resolving an encounter" as a concept (successful test sure, but not encounter as a whole. Some don't involve tests etc).
So yeah, another vote for "regardless of outcome", because the other option doesn't exist in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. When you encounter the space corresponding to the clue token, not a token on the space, such as a gate, but the space itself. You draw a location card that corresponds to the space and finish the encounter (pass or fail). This causes you to flip the card.

The example provided by the OP doesn't include the word "may" however. So I am not sure if that word is on any of the other cards in question. May would imply choice. The card example does not imply choice but must be done when the condition is met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
oppedj02 wrote:
The example provided by the OP doesn't include the word "may" however. So I am not sure if that word is on any of the other cards in question. May would imply choice. The card example does not imply choice but must be done when the condition is met.
Prof Rice doesn't use "may" either. Mineralology Research does, just to name 2 more examples.

Is asset use always optional by default, making use of "may" here reminder text (optionally and occasionally included where there's room for it) instead of rules text? I forget and am too lazy to look up.

Not a big deal either way, all things that use the wording/mechanic are beneficial I think, and the potential situational benefits of not taking the benefit at that time are rather fringe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
oppedj02 wrote:
Prof Rice doesn't use "may" either. Mineralology Research does, just to name 2 more examples.

Is asset use always optional by default, making use of "may" here reminder text (optionally and occasionally included where there's room for it) instead of rules text? I forget and am too lazy to look up.

Not a big deal either way, all things that use the wording/mechanic are beneficial I think, and the potential situational benefits of not taking the benefit at that time are rather fringe.
It depends on whether an asset uses 'may' or not. You're right, it's unlikely that you wouldn't use an asset if you could. But using 'may' avoids the argument that the lack of choice means you have to use them (hopefully that makes sense).

If there is no 'may' you have no choice in the effect. Usually an asset might say something like, "when you gain this asset, X occurs." Or, "when you perform an X test, Y occurs." In these instances that thing will happen.

Not sure if my rambling made sense, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls