21 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Conan VS Imperial Assault rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools

I know this game has not been released but still any thoughts of this game compared to Imperial Assault? I know
both are different game but its still 1 DM VS many type of games.

Would like to understand more on the replayability between these 2 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I've played both, and the biggest difference is that IA is a campaign, were Conan is more one off scenarios. I know there will be a campaign book for Conan but as a base game it's just one and done games.

I think they both have replayability, due to the variety of expansion available. I one IA and have Conan on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played Conan yet, but watched the game play videos. I think the main differences are Conan has area movement while IA is still wedded to the "tactical movement by squares" paradigm.

The other is in IA, players take alternating activations, and each Rebel player must complete his move before the next player can activate. Conan seems to be freer in that the players can act a bit, then another player acts, then the first player acts again. This means of course that one side activates all their units before the other activates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With Conan you manage your energy (the most important point of the game) and can influence the fate by deciding on the number of dice to be thrown...
The more you spend energy, the more you can throw dice and obtain good results. But doing this, you can be quickly exhausted and not able to defend yourself when Overlord plays...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the Conan camp...even though I have a pretty regular gaming group, we don't get enough repeat play for a campaign driven game. I've tried to get into dungeon crawls before, but without luck. They feel samey and repetitive to me, personally.

With Conan, there is less time commitment, as each game/battle is not a linked campaign, so its more of a battle skirmish minis game with some euro-like elements (managing your energy) and less RPG/Dungeon Crawl.

Thats why I backed Conan. Just depends on what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't all that happy with IA. Can't completely put my finger on it. Game play didn't evoke SW for us. It seemed tactically okay but wasn't hitting the excitement triggers one desires with SW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teong Teh
Malaysia
flag msg tools
So Conan seems better than IA?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Iván
Chile
Santiago de Chile
Region Metropolitana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it is... if you're asking on a Conan forum. Go ask to he IA forum and see the results...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would definitely rate IA higher than conan.
everything in IA is made to be integrated together easily, the campaign of missions for longer plays and the skirmish game format for short games.

i'm not yet convinced how the energy management in conan will work, it seems a bit odd a low level figure could possibly beat a higher level just because he uses lots of energy on extra attack dice, it kinda makes difference in figures non-existant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
teha123 wrote:
So Conan seems better than IA?
Is the crocodile greener or longer ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
If replayability is your main concern, then I'd speculate Conan has more replayability than IA.

Conan is scenario based, IA is campaign based. I think the story in Conan is driven by the gameplay itself, so you can play any scenario you like and replay it many times. IA, on the other hand, uses a scripted campaign (mission structure) to tell the story, one mission leading to the next. Once you finish the campaign you know the story. However, you can replay IA campaign with different characters after you finished it. I'd say replaying IA campaign will probably feel a bit like replaying a RPG video game. Also, in IA your character level up and gain more items as you progress in the campaign. So if you have a gaming group where everyone is dedicated to playing a certain character, then you will feel a sense of character development. It feels a bit like a RPG video game.

(P.S. IA has skirmish mode, I've never played Skirmish mode myself but only campaign mode, so I can't comment on IA skirmish mode)

Having said this, Conan does have a campaign mode, but that is KS exclusive for king pledge only. At this time, KS pledge manager finished long ago, so I do not think you can get it anymore if you haven't pledged yet.

So I guess it's up to your personal preference. If I was to choose only one game, then I would break down my selection criteria as the following:

1) What theme do you like? Conan or Star Wars?

2) Do you like a game where the story is driven by a scripted campaign? O do you prefer a story told by the gameplay itself? If your prefer a game driven by a scripted campaign, then go for IA. If not, then go for Conan.

3) Do you have a gaming group who is prepared to commit themselves to playing as a certain character/role through the entire IA campaign? If so, then IA may be really fun for you. But if not, then Conan is probably a better choice.

4) Do you mind spending a lot of time setting up a game? Just beware IA takes time to setup. From what I've seen, the setup time for Conan doesn't seem to be as long as IA.

5) Also remember, IA does not have every miniature in the base game. For examples, you have to buy Han Solo and Chewbaca "ally expansion pack" separately although they appeared in the campaign. In IA base game, they only give you cut board cutouts for Han and Chewie. Where if you buy retail Conan, it comes with everything the base game is supposed to have, so in Conan you won't get into the situation where you are playing a scenario and one of the characters doesn't have a miniature but only a cardboard cutout.

For me, I have IA, and I also backed king pledge Conan since the first day it appeared on Kickstarter, because I am a huge REH fan. I think IA is a good game, but from what I've seen, it is very different to Conan in every aspect and Conan looks like it's going to be an excellent game. For me, I like both games and I want both of them in my home.

Anyway, whichever game you decide to get, congrats in advance for your new game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Perez
France
Paris
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
designer
Soon in retail !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:

Having said this, Conan does have a campaign mode, but that is KS exclusive for king pledge only. At this time, KS pledge manager finished long ago, so I do not think you can get it anymore if you haven't pledged yet.
Indeed the pledge manager is finished, however there is still an opportunity to get it remaining (an while doing so, giving money for a good cause).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan is a kick-starter so I'm operating under the assumption that it'll be a load of cool ideas combined with a lot of enthusiasm that'll end up being a hot mess when first released.

Realistically I know very little about Conan so I can't really compare the two, but I can say that Imperial Assault is the best 'dungeon crawl' type game I've played in years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
Assumption indeed. But I'm afraid it's wrong.
Conan's gameplay is very streamlined. Anyway, it's totally different from IA, apart from "dudes on a map" there are not many common points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Microbadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Marvel Champions fanMicrobadge: I backed Cthulhu: Death May Die on Kickstarter!Microbadge: Nemesis fanMicrobadge: Hanabi & Ikebana fan
Another difference is that you can easily trade off being the Overlord each game in Conan, whereas IA's structure pushes for one player being the Overlord for the campaign.

Depending on your group, one of these may be a better option for you than the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is kinda relevant to me because Imperial Assault has been around for as little as 50-something Euros whereas Conan King + shipping is 135+40 for a total of $175 USD.

That mean you get three copies of Imperial Assault for one King pledge.

Throw in expansions there and you may be looking at Imperial Assault + possibly three expansions vs Conan King.

You'll have a shit-ton (is that a unit?) of map-pieces. I have no idea how Skirmish work in Imperial Assault and I should really compare it to Dust to find out but .. That's relevant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
si Mon
msg tools
mbmb
You might even calculate that for the price of a ks version of conan you can get imperial assault and the distributed version of conan...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrii Chabykin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mb
Conan feels like Claustrophobia for more than 2 ppl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Depew
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chabster wrote:
Conan feels like Claustrophobia for more than 2 ppl.
Haven't played it, but this was the impression I got from the playthroughs. More than the theme that's why I backed it (that and the umpteen billion miniatures).

Another thing I look forward to is not having 30 stacks of cards to negotiate. I do love Fantasy Flight games, but I also get sick of tables covered in card stacks falling over. or having to carry around an extra box just for card organizers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D
United States
Asheville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
Having said this, Conan does have a campaign mode, but that is KS exclusive for king pledge only.
wow. that sucks. so only the campaign backers get to play a campaign?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kaufmann
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter- Campaign is only the FIRST campaign for Conan. No one ever said that there won't be another one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls