Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathrin
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

this is not at all intended to become another thread about the pros and cons of the retheme.
I rather have question about the suitable age group. This new version Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo is 7+. Many people have, however, pointed out that the original Gulo Gulo was well suited for younger children.
In your experience, till what age will kids remain interested in this?
When have your children stopped demanding to play Gulo Gulo?

Or else:

Is it worthwhile getting Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo for an 8 year old now?

(Obviously, we're not lucky enough to ever have played Gulo Gulo.
That's why I ask for your opinions)

Thanks a lot,
Kathrin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably get something else for an 8 year old. My kids still played it at that age, but not so much, and mostly as an old favorite. Depending on how experienced at games the kids are, 3 to 5 is probably the best time to get them this game IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Neuhauser
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think younger kids easily grasp (ha!) the concept of grabbing the eggs from the nest, but when younger, it took a bit to get the hang of the mechanics. (for example, flipping the next unflipped tile, but not necessarily going there if there are other tiles that color in the way) It sounds like Pharaoh adds more mechanics/complexity to Gulo Gulo, so maybe that's why the recommended age is higher.

To your question, I still think Gulo Gulo is fun at any age, but 8 year olds might be getting more interested in the "family games" rather than "childrens games" (I can't count how many games of Love Letter I played with my 8 yo last year!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how early you start. My son started a few months before he turned 3, and I just checked - we played about 60 games and our last game was shortly before him turning 4 (!).

Now, 6 years later, my daughter is a few months from turning 3 so I figured I should get her playing this too. We started a week ago (7 days), and I think we've played every day since, and I have 14 games logged with her. She absolutely loves it and would play way more often if I'd 'let' her.

She pretty much understands everything - brilliant (she turns 3 at the end of May).

In closing, I would suggest to get started as early as possible, because it's a great game, but when they turn 4 or 5 they're surely ready for the bigger games. My son was playing Lord of the Rings TCG with me when he was 5...

All games with the original Gulo Gulo - the new version sounds awful...

EDIT: oh, and I have to say the game is easily my favorite kid's game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls