Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathrin
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

this is not at all intended to become another thread about the pros and cons of the retheme.
I rather have question about the suitable age group. This new version Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo is 7+. Many people have, however, pointed out that the original Gulo Gulo was well suited for younger children.
In your experience, till what age will kids remain interested in this?
When have your children stopped demanding to play Gulo Gulo?

Or else:

Is it worthwhile getting Pharaoh's Gulo Gulo for an 8 year old now?

(Obviously, we're not lucky enough to ever have played Gulo Gulo.
That's why I ask for your opinions)

Thanks a lot,
Kathrin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this with a 3 year old and an eight year old. I don't think the eight year old will be all that interested other than to play with his little brother for much longer.

But he has been playing a ton of games since he was three and typically is into games that are a few years ahead of him according to the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fowler
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8 years old is probably reasonable - your child would probably get a few plays before growing out of it. My daughter is ten, and she requested the original Gulo Gulo a few months ago, so it can last. I love Gulo Gulo myself and really like to pull it out for any kids. The new addition of the Pharaoh theme and some other aspects may make this version work for kids a bit older.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
Be aware that boardgamegeek children are 3x smarter than the average. Be very wary of claims of children that can play the game and are much younger than the manufacturer’s recommendations. Anything more than a year is either suspect or an outlier. Game producers lose money by excluding an age group. Of course if you have one of those many 3x children….

Your question however is on the other end of the age recommendation. Interested to see where this goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify- they have two sets of rules. The standard set is for 7+, the basic set is for 5+, so it is still for young kids. that doesn't really answer your question, but there is always a ton of variability with who plays and enjoys what types of games.

Quote:
An exciting dexterity adventure for 2-6 players, ages 7-99 but also includes a variation for younger players 5+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liu Apertotes
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 kids, but the oldest is 3, so I can't really answer your question with their experience. But what I can tell you is that I myself would have never played this game with more than 6. When I was 7 I was playing much more thrilling games (of course, in my opinion) like Monopoly, Risk, Hotel, Parcheese, Poker (and many other card games) or even Chess.

I am sure many of us can think back to the time when we were 7-8 and have a pretty good idea about our interest in a game like this.

I was hoping to get this game for my oldest kid, for her 4th birthday, expecting her to get bored of it in 2 years. The new theme negates that option for me, so I will try to get a non-outrageously expensive copy of the original Gulo Gulo, or pass completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls