Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially I liked the idea/theme of the game, although it was a bit too dark to play on the family table. Again, I liked the theme.

However, after watching Rhado's video review, I think this game is "unforgiving", which I feel if the player makes a mistake (e.g. kill a victim and laying down a new corpse, instead of bribing), it could put the player into a very difficult situation, and may not be able to catch up.

Any thought?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
[5] Flip to Exceed Mode!
mbmbmbmbmb
ah3Dog wrote:
Initially I liked the idea/theme of the game, although it was a bit too dark to play on the family table. Again, I liked the theme.

However, after watching Rhado's video review, I think this game is "unforgiving", which I feel if the player makes a mistake (e.g. kill a victim and laying down a new corpse, instead of bribing), it could put the player into a very difficult situation, and may not be able to catch up.

Any thought?
Well, it really depends. When exactly are you killing a traveler? Is there a police at the inn? Do you already have some corpses? If so, I don't think it's good timing to kill a traveler in that round, unless you have enough cards to kill the police (if there is only one of course). If you made a mistake you can always bury corpses under your opponent's annex, that makes your opponent to lose physical space to bury her own corpses and after that you'll have some time to catch up and make some money.

If early in the game you try to build your engine to get discounts when burying corpses then it won't be too hard when you make mistakes. Remember that there is a 40F limit, so if you make a mistake that limit will avoid your opponent going too far away, but of course you will need to slow them down a bit while you find a way to catch up.

In most of the games I have played all the scores were tight, except for a player that only built annexes and buried just a couple of corpses, that made him to have a really bad score comparing to the rest of players, but he obviously didn't play with a right strategy.

Other than that, I don't feel it's unforgiving, I feel that you just need to pay attention to the police investigation and to what your opponent is doing, if they are trying to collect red cards to get discounts when building an annex, then go ahead and take those red cards before he does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: IPA Beer fan - Make it hoppyMicrobadge: Asheville Tourists fanMicrobadge: Pancake fanMicrobadge: Heavy Metal fanMicrobadge: You've been Caked
In Rahdo's case though, he knowingly put himself into that position by pushing his luck too far. Several times he said something like, "if I kill another guy now I can earn a ton of points, but if more cops show up next round I'll be in big trouble."

It seems like every player would be consciously aware of how far they are pushing their luck each turn, so I don't feel like it's a game where someone accidentally makes a bad move and then they spend the rest of the game trying to recover.

He also only showed a handful of rounds, but for a full game you would go all the way through the deck of guests twice. So maybe recovering from a bad play early on isn't actually as daunting as he made it seem in his run through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cool thing about Rahdo is he frequently makes 'bad' decisions (even saying how this 'is very risky' and he might get screwed) just to show more of the game in a short time. From Jen's side he usually plays more sensibly (as she would). On the reverse side, had there been no police show up on that one critical turn it would have paid out nicely for him! So there's that.

I actually kinda like the cutthroat nature of the game (goes with the theme). I've never really understood the whole 'it's unforgiving' argument in games, especially short ones like this. If you play risky or bad moves with a high probability of failure shouldn't you be punished? Chalk it up to a 'learning moment' and make better decisions in future games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamonson wrote:
I've never really understood the whole 'it's unforgiving' argument in games, especially short ones like this.
This. Unforgiving to me by definition is being heavily penalized by a tiny mistake early in the game that has repercutions for the rest of the game.

But in the case of Rahdo's runthrough of the Bloody Inn, I don't think that the consequence of pushing your luck should be consider unforgiving gameplay. It was a collection of purposely(?) made bad decisions, i.e. playing poorly. It's not a tiny mistake that was unavoidable. He always had the actions available to play it safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls