Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Steampunk Rally» Forums » General

Subject: just 8 stands? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my retail copy only has 8 stands for the 16 characters. i thought gavin said they would up the count of these stands from 8 to 16 for the retail. so am i missing parts or does the retail copy really just come with 8 stands?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
8 is the correct number of stands, the game is intended to play up to 8 players simultaneously. (We playtested it with greater numbers and it *can* be done, but the risk of running out of components (cards, dice, cogs) rises, as well as the level of chaos.)

*EDIT* this is the same for both the retail and Kickstarter versions of the game.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the issue is people wanting to play with more than eight players. It's why not include 16 stands so we don't have to continuously swap stands when we change inventors?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ol_bubba wrote:
I don't think the issue is people wanting to play with more than eight players. It's why not include 16 stands so we don't have to continuously swap stands when we change inventors?
yeah exactly this. you risk chafing the cardboard and artwork (which is gorgeous btw)of the inventor pawns by constantly swapping the stands in and out andyoull eventually get loose fitting stands in the end. the wording on the rule book is confusing too.

imo, adding 8 more wouldve been a negligible cost to production but wouldve been a great qol addtition.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Brennick
United States
Lewiston
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't want to have to worry about damaging the character tokens by removing/replacing stands over and over again, so I went to the Fantasy Flight website and bought one of those little packages of stands. They don't look the same but I was willing to deal with that rather than possibly damage my game pieces.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SkyShadow38 wrote:

I didn't want to have to worry about damaging the character tokens by removing/replacing stands over and over again, so I went to the Fantasy Flight website and bought one of those little packages of stands. They don't look the same but I was willing to deal with that rather than possibly damage my game pieces.
Game Crafters has stands too.
https://www.thegamecrafter.com/parts#category=Stands
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
travelbug wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:
I don't think the issue is people wanting to play with more than eight players. It's why not include 16 stands so we don't have to continuously swap stands when we change inventors?
yeah exactly this. you risk chafing the cardboard and artwork (which is gorgeous btw)of the inventor pawns by constantly swapping the stands in and out andyoull eventually get loose fitting stands in the end. the wording on the rule book is confusing too.

imo, adding 8 more wouldve been a negligible cost to production but wouldve been a great qol addtition.
I don't forsee anyone playing this game enough that they'd place a character on a stand the requisite number of times that would lead to damage to the stand. The easy solution is to leave the inventors on their stand in case they are reused next game and only remove the ones that aren't used. You'll get many hundreds of plays before it might become an issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert baynosa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as i stated in my previous post, its not the stand that can get damaged but the cardboard inventor pawns that will get chafed and worn out leading to loose fitting, and eventually useless stands.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
travelbug wrote:
as i stated in my previous post, its not the stand that can get damaged but the cardboard inventor pawns that will get chafed and worn out leading to loose fitting, and eventually useless stands.
I talked to the designer last night, and he says that he and Gavan have had other people bring up the same sort of question. I'm not sure what the official plan is but they *are* talking about it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genesyx

Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any updates on this?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
Any updates on this?
Perhaps more stands could be included the "Blast Pipe" expansion as noted in the Official Errata - Steampunk Rally - 2015.11.19
"We are currently hard at work on an expansion for Steampunk Rally. We will be including 2 new Blast Pipe cards along with instructions to destroy the old cards."
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony N
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
If you have access to a 3D printer, you can print some stands that my friend designed specifically for the game.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1197600

Note: Should be 18 characters, including promos, not 20, as stated in the description. I'll get him to update it later.

Since this is a dice rolling game, I'd suggest looking at his 3D printed dice towers too. They don't take up a lot of table space, modular and are pretty cool.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1156522
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1131768


My friend is on BGG too, if you want to contact him.
Julius Howlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


Edited for actual link.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I'm sure my copy has 16 stands. I'd have to check to be sure but I remember thinking how odd, you would only ever use at most 8 of them. And I was wondering if they were allowing up to 16 players. And if so, what does the box say up to 8? and not up to 16?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls