Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi meeple

I've heard some comments saying Éowin's ability and stats don't fit thematically with the character from the books. I feel the same way (hey, she faced the Witch King alone!), so I ended thinking that we could have a more thematic version of Éowyn (Tactics sphere?), maybe with the same stats but changing her ability to something like:

"After Éowyn is declared as an attacker against an Enemy with equal or higher Engagement Cost than your Threat, add Éowyn's Willpower to her Attack for this attack."

Or

"After Éowyn is declared as the single attacker against an Enemy with equal or higher Engagement Cost than your Threat, add Éowyn's Willpower to her Attack for this attack." (less powerfull, but still useful).

I'd like to create this version by myself, but my drawing skills are childish soblue to say the best. Could anyone around here be interested in put this idea into a card with properly artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How could I contact Caleb Grace to give him this idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the addition of Herugrim greatly reduced the chances of us seeing a tactics Eowyn, because now you can give her almost the exact ability you are describing. But don't let that stop you from making a custom card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
How about making her ability something like:

"When Eowyn attacks an enemy, that enemy gets -X Defense until the end of the phase. X is Eowyn's willpower"

Still very powerful, but you will only get the full effect usually against large "boss" enemies. Honestly, even if she had no ability, it would be crazy good to have a Tactics hero with that much willpower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give her Mirkwood Runner's ability against monsters with a higher engagement cost, like this:

Éowyn
9 threat
3 willpower
2 attack
1 defense
3 hit points
Rohan. Warrior.

When Éowyn attacks alone against an enemy with a higher engagement cost than your threat, the defending enemy does not count its defense.

"I am no man!"

Slighty more restrictive than Mirkwood Runner, but a hero's attack is easier to boost. Especially with the existence of Herugrim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Wohlganger
United States
Valley City
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned previously, Eowyn has way too much willpower for a tactics hero. I think the best fix for that would simply be "Eowyn cannot quest." I think a good fit abilities for her would be "Discard a card from your hand to add Eowyn's willpower to her attack or defense. Once per round."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bailey
United States
Hendersonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
That's what thon said.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically, tying her combat prowess to Engagement cost like the hobbits is awesome. Another thematic wrinkle to this version of Eowyn is that she hid her identity, so hampering her questing ability is appropriate and also mechanically makes sense because 4 WP in Tactics is ridiculous.

How about: "When Eowyn commits to a quest, raise your threat by 2. When Eowyn is declared as an attacker against an Enemy with Engagement Cost higher than your Threat, add Eowyn's WP to her ATK."

That way, you capture both thematic elements and make questing with her directly work against her utility as an attacker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Was Eowyn ever discribed as being a great warrior? Her spirit gave her the bravery to stand up to the Witch-King and laugh in his face, which no other Rohan warrior could do.

So her willpower is exceptional, but I don't think the book ever described her fighting prowess or does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bailey
United States
Hendersonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
That's what thon said.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Tactics Eowyn that can attack with Willpower would probably work better as an Ally, though. An Ally that leaves play after questing or pulling off the big attack. It would be more appropriate to the once-in-a-lifetime quality her moment had and wouldn't make her seem like a great warrior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
S2076 wrote:
Was Eowyn ever discribed as being a great warrior? Her spirit gave her the bravery to stand up to the Witch-King and laugh in his face, which no other Rohan warrior could do.

So her willpower is exceptional, but I don't think the book ever described her fighting prowess or does it?
This, basically. Facing the Witch-king by herself has nothing to do with her actual fighting ability and everything to do with her strength of will - she most likely isn't anything special in the former, but the best of all the Rohirrim in the latter. In the game, she's perfectly thematic the way she is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david rodriguez
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is the mine

You see it and more in Susurros del Bosque Viejo

http://susurrosdelbosqueviejo.blogspot.com.es/

Text in English:
Rohan . Warrior.
When Eowyn attacks only, or with a Hobbit, Eowyn can use her Will force in fact of Attack force
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filgonfin wrote:
This is the mine

Looooove this!! thumbsup you've captured the essence of what I was looking for!!
---
¡Me encanta, en serio! ¿Me das permiso para imprimirla? ¿Puedes pasármela en alta resolución?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moritz Schubert
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that one of the two heroes in "Flame of the West" is going to be Tactics Eowyn or at the very least a Dernhelm attachment for Eowyn. The fans have been asking for this for so long and I think it's time that Caleb and Matt answer the call. I think Caleb even talked about a hypothetical Tactics Eowyn in an interview. If I remember correctly he said something like "If we were to design a Tactics version of Eowyn, maybe I would come up with the idea, but I would show it to Matt and ask him for his opinion." I think he even said that sooner or later there would be a Tactics Eowyn.

EDIT: Btw, I'm not a big fan of the suggested effects that have the condition that the enemies engaging cost must be equal or higher than the player's threat. That's a hobbit thing and I think giving such an ability to a non-hobbit would only unnecessarily muddy the waters.

EDIT: I found the quote. Here's the link to the interview: http://ec.libsyn.com/p/9/c/b/9cb57d0a43657f60/Episode_74_-_M...
Skip to the 1:27:50 mark. Caleb clearly says that he and Matt would love to do another version of Eowyn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
According to the book, Éowyn DOES work well with hobbits together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls