Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has good days and bad days, but in general...

Poll
Do you love your job?
Yes, I love going to work.
No, I do not love going to work.
I love my chosen profession, but don't like my current employer.
I am retired.
      195 answers
Poll created by futhee

Just wondering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
I've worked at the same company (its a Public School System)for 16 years. I really liked my job, but about 7 years ago my position was cut and I went to work for a different division. It was wretched. I did not like my boss, hated not being in the schools. It was torture. I finally managed to get another position and now I am back into the schools, with another boss, and every day of the last two years has been blissful. I would love to be independently wealthy and not have to work, but this is the next best thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a CPA and have worked in auditing and/or management consulting for 24 years. I started out as a Broadcasting and Film major. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't love my job--it's not my reason for waking up each morning--but I do like it. Been on the same program for 5 years, I like the work, I like the people, and the commute is great. I'm hoping I can ride it straight into retirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned *long* ago that if I don't like something, I don't do it anymore. If I had answered anything other than "Yes", you can bet I'd already be searching for a new job . . .

[I'm the Director of Finance at a non-profit children's summer camp, despite a liberal arts background . . .]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
I love my job and the company I work for. And yes, we are still hiring.
Again, I have no relevant skills (maybe no skills at all). Will you hire me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just in a rut at the moment, wondering where it all went wrong. Not that I should be complaining, mind you - I'm lucky to have a job at all given how badly I did at school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
cold_fuzion wrote:
Three months ago I would have definitely gone with "hating work and everyone in the building," but I have since changed positions and while I'm more busy it's so much better.
Being busy is good. Being overworked is bad, but being bored and trying to find something meaningful to do, just to avoid shitty busywork, is worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
futhee wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
If you don't have skills, you will not enjoy my job.
Well, I mean, I have some skills.
Here is a brief list of my skills:

- I can read.
- I can ride my bicycle fairly long distances.
- I'm really good at falling asleep anywhere, anytime.
- I can play the piano fairly well and a few other instruments decently.
- I'm amazing at eating large amounts of food.
- I am able to sing along to a large number of 80s pop songs.
- I once went two weeks without bathing.
- I'm pretty good at darts.
- I like cats. This may not seem like a skill, but believe me, I skillfully like cats.

What are my chances for employment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary H
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't love my job but yet, I do not hate it. It's all right.

I have been here 23 years. My boss is great and our coming and goings aren't monitored just as long as we get the job done and not complain if we have to work a full weekend. Benefits are solid and I don't mind what I do.

It's a job that I have never dreaded going into in all of the 23 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Ronkonkoma
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Duke UniversityMicrobadge: Lemur fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Game Group OrganizerMicrobadge: Daniel Tosh fan - And for That We Thank You
At this point, I'm the only one to say "I love my profession; not my employer"

I'd love to do what I'm good at - what I've won awards doing in my past.

My current employer seems to not see the wisdom in that (neither letting me do that *nor* embracing the innovation that many other companies have already realized).

Is it shocking that I'm looking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
futhee wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
futhee wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

- I can read.
- I like cats. This may not seem like a skill, but believe me, I skillfully like cats.

I'm retired but have always wanted a lackey.

But it looks like you're overqualified. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
futhee wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
futhee wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

- I can read.

I'm retired but have always wanted a lackey.

But it looks like you're overqualified. soblue
Does the lackey position involve playing board games daily?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Microbadge: Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.Microbadge: A dingo ate my baby!Microbadge: Chit Chat EPYC games fanMicrobadge: This badge goes to 16Microbadge: FlagPoll user
My boss is a real asshole.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm self-employed, and I have no employees...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
Well, the usual starting disclaimer - while I loved my job, I'd still rather be independently wealthy, and have a job doing things explicitly of my choosing, for as long as I feel like, with someone else hired to take care of the day to day.

That said, I loved my job. The environment was pretty amazing, work was fairly relaxed, my boss was my long time friend, I got great vacation, benefits, and fun work parties. The only reason it wasn't my best job ever is I've had a job where we played boardgames at lunch all the time. The only downside of my job was pay, which was a fairly big cut from my previous job - partially, I'm sure, due to the recession at the time.

Alas, the other downside was that they had to cut positions, and I got cut. On the plus side, I got lots of recommendations, and prospects currently look pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Great Googly Moogly it's
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be addicted to the hokey pokey, but then I turned myself around.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my job and the company I work for! Feral kittens couldn't drag me away from this place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lemur wrote:
At this point, I'm the only one to say "I love my profession; not my employer"
If I were not the only one checking "retired" at this time, I'd be with you in checking that choice.

I drove the big rigs for more than 33 years, and while it is a dangerous career and a very hard life, for me it was a good life. There was something deeply satisfying to me in being able to drive those twin trailers with a very high level of skill, I truly enjoyed the driving and didn't mind the long hours and long miles, and because most of my career was spent driving back and forth across or along the Blue Ridge Mountains, I found great peace and pleasure in just driving and enjoying the scenery and the coming and going of the seasons.

But the company that I drove for is infamous for their utter lack of respect and mistreatment of employees. A blind eye was turned toward drivers who worked quickly but badly or even unsafely, while drivers who were safe and conscientious were often subjected to great pressure and harassment, both regarded and treated as bad employees.

Just to cite only one example to give an idea how bad things were and the lengths to which this company will go, I was MANY times pressured to exceed the posted highway speed limits, and on numerous occasions was threatened with disciplinary action because I refused to do so. And that really is just one little example....

The great majority of days, I could get out of the office and then get my doubles built and get off the property with only minimal interaction with the bosses, but still the pressure added to the natural stress of the job itself until I simply couldn't take it anymore. I'd known that my retirement was locked in for a few years, and when the night came that I was sitting at home after a particularly bad day and realized that I couldn't take it anymore, I just never went back. I never even called to tell anyone I wasn't coming to work anymore, I simply stopped going. It was hardly on my mind at the time, but these days I get an extra laugh from the scene in Office Space when Peter says "I don't like my job, and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore".

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Lost in thought.
Microbadge: It--it says, "Romans go home!"Microbadge: No it doesn't. What's Latin for Roman?Microbadge: Understand? Now write it out a hundred times.Microbadge: Hail Caesar. And if it's not done by sunrise...Microbadge: Thank you, sir! Hail Caesar and everything, sir!
Today I do! During our organization's fundraiser I met former Texas Ranger Michael Young and got to hear him speak about the ball club.

Events such as that and the generous time off my job affords me are reasons why I like my job. The list of things I don't like about my job is much longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been very nice hearing about all of you who enjoy your jobs. It's nice to know it happens! I'm happy for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the company I work for, but my job is meh. If I had the choice each morning to go to work or stay home and play games, I'd choose the latter (money not withstanding).

A question you can ask yourself is "what do I seem to do without being prompted" and, in your case, you seem to enjoy posting on these forums. Maybe you should become a community manager for some company's online presence!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I Love teaching. Don't like thereactionsnofnsome parents, though....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Microbadge: Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.Microbadge: A dingo ate my baby!Microbadge: Chit Chat EPYC games fanMicrobadge: This badge goes to 16Microbadge: FlagPoll user
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I selected my career path, at 18, to pay the bills. It is working quite well. I work short hours, am paid well, and the job isn't terrible if a tad dull at times. It meets my needs well therefore I do not dislike it, but I do not like it either. It leaves plenty of time for my eclectic hobbies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:
I work short hours, am paid well, and the job isn't terrible if a tad dull at times.... It leaves plenty of time for my eclectic hobbies.
Oh, I know this one! Are you a hitman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a GIS guy who regularly gets to weld, use a plasma cutter, run heavy equipment, review plans, plow snow, and deal with contractors and developers. I also teach math a couple of times a year.
It's usually pretty damn good.

[edit: my fine arts degree has sure come in handy shake]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |