Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've watched a couple videos for the game and it reminds me, in spirit, of Rallyman. That's not a bad thing as I love Rallyman.

Rallyman has a push your luck element that this game appears to have and it's one that is rich in theme, which Tavarua also seems to have.

The unique theme initially drew my attention but the pushing your luck aspect is holding it. I'm intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Lawn GnomeMicrobadge: I will never stop playing SNES!Microbadge: Rubber DuckyMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fan
Hey Paul!

Thanks for the comment! Is there anything that would help push you one way or the other? A game-play video, or better understanding of the rules? Or do you just need to play it yourself?

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question and one I find difficult to answer. Truthfully there are a lot of games that have my attention which is not something you probably want to hear as a designer with a kickstarter. =)

Gameplay videos are the best way for me to digest how a game works and to try and determine if it might be for me. However the big thing for me is the current CAD/USD exchange rate. It makes pledging for kickstarters kinda painful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Star Wars fanMicrobadge: Lawn GnomeMicrobadge: I will never stop playing SNES!Microbadge: Rubber DuckyMicrobadge: Race for the Galaxy fan
Yeah, I think it must be tough to be a Canadian on KS right now! Hopefully things will turn around soon!

Cheers, -Cody
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering your question some more, perhaps a video emphasizing the push your luck aspect of the scoring? It appears that successfully riding out a wave to the shore can net you some big points. If you crash what do you lose? If you play something safe and bail out what happens exactly then?

I think something with more focus on those questions and scenarios could help sell the game's tension. It seems to me it isn't just a surfing game but a lush your luck surfing game. Sell that second part more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Zwergfell
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Hy Cody,
Same question as Paul and it would be great, if you could tell us something about the playtesting: How many people, how many times, what do they say about the game. How long takes a game - I think, about 30 minutes?!
I really like the theme and after reading the rules I felt like I've understood all the great mechanisms, so very good work for a prototype!

As a German I didn't find a german translation for "Stoke"...

I wish you a good kickstarter campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is no german word for "stoke"... It´s the excitement after a or during a surf session or ride. Also found in skateboarding I think.
The lamest translation would be "Begeisterung"... but better
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Zwergfell
Germany
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
Danke Felix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Goss
United States
Upland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It reminds me of this game: Surf's Up, Dude!. This game looks like it plays different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Miller
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
zwergfell wrote:
Hy Cody,
Same question as Paul and it would be great, if you could tell us something about the playtesting: How many people, how many times, what do they say about the game. How long takes a game - I think, about 30 minutes?!
I really like the theme and after reading the rules I felt like I've understood all the great mechanisms, so very good work for a prototype!

As a German I didn't find a german translation for "Stoke"...

I wish you a good kickstarter campaign!
Hey zwergfell!

Thanks for the questions! Tavarua's been in playtesting since April, we've it's in the 13th official revision. I honestly haven't kept amazing records of playtests - we've been in blind-testing starting with version 10 in September - and it's been going really well, we've moved through version 11, 12, and are currently in version 13, which I believe will be the final version.

You can find the rulebook for version 12 here: http://faroffgames.com/images/games/tavarua/Rulebook_v1-2_OP...

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Cheers, -Cody

EDIT: Forgot about Stoke! It is a slang word, usually associated with extreme sports, and might be translated as "Excitement" or "Enthusiasm" or "Thrill". I think it comes from the idea of "stoking" a fire, but in this case the fire is your excitement!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls