Hide
6 Posts

Minecraft Card Game?» Forums » Rules

Subject: When Can the Shovel be Used? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Stirling
msg tools
So using the shovel takes one of a player's actions. Obviously this can be used to prevent a player from winning. Say a player needs diamond to craft an item for the points to win. When can we take their action away?

When we played we kept running into problems that essentially boiled down to arguments of who played which card first. When a player snags those diamonds and immediately tosses it into discard while grabbing the crafted item, it makes it difficult to butt in with a shovel and say, "no you lose that action so you don't win yet."

One solution we thought of was to use the shovel before someone took their first action but that takes strategy out of the game since the player could not have noticed the opportunity to win and therefore that shovel could have been saved. Also using the shovel before a person's turn shows everyone that you've noticed an opportunity to win so now the other players would be more heavily scrutinizing the cards before them.

Does anyone have a solution to this? Perhaps even having players ask if a shovel is being used before taking each action? Hmm. Your thoughts and house rules are appreciated, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Fetter
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As in another thread, DISCLAIMER: I haven't been able to play an actual game yet... just look through the rules and do a mock play through...

Anyway:

In the "Using Tools" section on page 4 it says, "use these powers at ANY TIME during the game and using a tool DOES NOT count as an action."

This is where my years of playing TCG/CCGs comes in and tells me to use the chain system with every action requiring a response from the other players.

Basically:

-Player A Beginning of Turn
-Player A uses 1st Action
-Player B may play a tool or Pass
-Player C may play a tool or Pass
-Player D may play a tool or Pass
-Player A uses 2nd Action
-Player B may play a tool or Pass
-Player C may play a tool or Pass
-Player D may play a tool or Pass
-Player A End of Turn

And so on and so forth.
This system would follow your suggestion of allowing other players to play a tool immediately after the first action but before the second action, allowing for strategy and hi-jinks.

Player A wouldn't necessarily have to ask the table if anyone is going to play anything, but would need to wait a moment to see if anyone would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Traci Adjovi
msg tools
I've played the game and we play that you use the shovel before your last action to eliminate any arguing from other players.

I have a question: Can two shovels be used against the same player in one turn, thereby eliminating both of his/her actions on the next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the shovel, the rules say the card can be used to force a player to skip an action on their next turn. So the card has to be played before their turn starts, otherwise it affects their next turn.

Re use of multiple shovels on a player, yes, we've used 2 shovels on a player to skip their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Durtschi
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mb
mikemartins wrote:
For the shovel, the rules say the card can be used to force a player to skip an action on their next turn. So the card has to be played before their turn starts, otherwise it affects their next turn.

Re use of multiple shovels on a player, yes, we've used 2 shovels on a player to skip their turn.

That's the conclusion, we came to as well, the wording "on the player's NEXT TURN" means that you need to play the shovel before their turn starts, otherwise, it would take effect on the next turn, but if they are about to win, then it wouldn't stop it.

Personally, I think the rules for the creeper, shovel and hoe could use some serious re-working because they are lame. But we haven't played it enough to house rule them yet.

I wonder how much play testing went into this game? It reminds me of a really quick and dirty/broken version of "The Builders".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gord Pratt
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game. After looking at the rules in context, made a quick decision to ignore the bit about "tools can be used at any time during the game." Use the tools on your turn. Playing with 6-7 year old I don't need to introduce M:TG's Action/Instant/Interrupt madness into this.

In today's 2-player game I crafted 2 shovels early in the game (who shuffled this deck?) and looks like I could have made him skip his turn for the rest of the game? I just didn't play my shovels but in the future I would say either 1 tool of it's type can be played on your turn or shovels only work to cancel extra actions granted from the pickaxe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.