Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
Note 7 from Terrain Effects Chart:

"Crest Hexsides block LOS unless either the spotting Unit or the spotted Unit is adjacent to the Crest hexside and no more than one Crest hexside has been crossed."

Say you have in a straight line of hexes in a row:
Hex A -> Hex B -> (Upper) |Crest Hexside|(Lower)-> Hex C -> Hex D

Assume Hex A & B is the higher elevation of the Crest, Hex C & D is the lower part of the land.

Visually it makes sense that if a unit is in Hex B, it is in the LOS of all other hexes i.e. Hexes A,C,&D.

However, if a unit is in Hex C, it would seem to me that LOS could be achieved from B & D, but Hex A due to the depressed inclination would not be able to see Hex C. Yet the rules allow a LOS into Hex C.

In other words, a unit hiding just beneath a Crest (not on top of a Crest where it would be visible all around) is still visible. What am I missing here?

I guess a follow up question here is: what is the difference between a crest and a ridge? Aren't they pretty much geologically the same thing??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John, one thing you don't realize is that crests aren't about up and down - they are about changes in any elevation in the ground. I know they look up and down since Niko made them in 3D - but that isn't how they work in the game. While generally, the crests do follow the 3D effect, this game doesn't use a "wedding cake" way of looking at terrain at all.

As for ridges and crests, there are actual real life examples in the rulebook to have a look at...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Amenta

Idaho Falls
Idaho
msg tools
mb
adamant wrote:
Hi John, one thing you don't realize is that crests aren't about up and down - they are about changes in any elevation in the ground. I know they look up and down since Niko made them in 3D - but that isn't how they work in the game. While generally, the crests do follow the 3D effect, this game doesn't use a "wedding cake" way of looking at terrain at all.

As for ridges and crests, there are actual real life examples in the rulebook to have a look at...

Thanks Adam. I appreciate the reply. So no matter what side of the "crest" hexside the unit is on it can be seen (as long as it is adjacent and there isn't an extra "crest" crossed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds right, John...the rule as written is what we intended here. I know it can occasionally look a little odd if you think of these as elevations to plateaus (and they look like that too)...but think of them more as undulations in the ground as the ground rises...

Looking over Kansas versus looking over Pennsylvania (if you're an American)...if not, one is flat and you can see for miles, and the other is ground that rises and lowers - so you can only see a mile or two (even when the ground is actually consistently rising).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.