B Patterson
United States
Kaufman
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Star Wars Rebellion most reminds me of
What the what? This sounds amazing. But, what is it? Will it take 30 minutes or 30 hours? What will the game play like? Does it have to be only two players? What in your opinion does this most resemble?
Star Wars Rebellion most reminds me of...
Axis and Allies
Freedom in the Galaxy
Imperial Assault with ships
Love Letter (Vader edition)
Risk
Twilight Imperium
War of the Ring
X-Wing Miniatures with a board
Xia
      279 answers
Poll created by WFPII

If you don't see your option, please write it out in the comments. I can't change a poll once it is posted and these are the games that quickly came to mind. Thanks for voting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Rodriguez
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Peace and ToleranceMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: ShadespireMicrobadge: Warhammer 40k Kill Team fanMicrobadge: Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire - Sepulchral GuardMicrobadge: Trust me? Of *course* you can trust *me*!
You should add both "Twilight Struggle / CDG" as an option, and "other."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the page for it on FFG's site says 3-4 hours.

I think it is going to be something like Forbidden Stars, or Runewars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lacks an option to choose the video game it's based on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
Microbadge: Wargamer of 30+ yearsMicrobadge: Card-Driven Wargames fanMicrobadge: Byzantine Empire fanMicrobadge: Commands & Colors Ancients fanMicrobadge: Solitaire Wargamer
...or perhaps Horus Heresy (2010) ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the: Reinterpretation of Rebellion (PC, 1998) option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might as well throw Empire At War on the list too, which was arguably a reimplementation of the original Rebellion/Supremacy game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
Might as well throw Empire At War on the list too, which was arguably a reimplementation of the original Rebellion/Supremacy game...
Will disagree with you here...Empire at War was an RTS, while Rebellion was turn-based.

In my eyes:

Rebellion : Empire at War :: Sid Meier's Civ Series : Age of Empires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is Freedom in the Galaxy. You could swap out the names on the FFG page and it would read like a 1979 description.

I know I have two copies somewhere (the SPI and AH) but where? Time to break them out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was gonna say it's parallel is Arkham Horror - lots of cards, nice minis, drenched in story and setting and theme - but War of the Ring is probably a much better analogy. It's competitive, not cooperative. It's essentially 2 player, but can sorta be expanded to 3 or 4 players. Lots of tactical battles.

Freedom of the Galaxy looks cool but the system looks not-insignificantly more complicated than typical FFG fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert McCloud
United Kingdom
Berkshire
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Sushi Go! fanMicrobadge: Android fanMicrobadge: Descent fanMicrobadge: Legendary fanMicrobadge: Eldritch Horror fan
I feel like I'm the only person that isn't familiar enough with all of these other games to think they are similar.

I'm sat here just hoping it's good regardless of what it's similar to. And if it's a clone of another game, so long as it's a good game I don't really care.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Forbidden Stars is what I first thought of, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Better Living Through ChemistryMicrobadge: GayMicrobadge: Beard fanMicrobadge: Leather Pride
I'm really wondering where this comparison with Forbidden Stars is coming from. Is it just because both feature spaceships-on-a-map and Forbidden Stars is the most recent instance of this from FFG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
COIN Star Wars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navajas
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BertMcCloud wrote:
I feel like I'm the only person that isn't familiar enough with all of these other games to think they are similar.

I'm sat here just hoping it's good regardless of what it's similar to. And if it's a clone of another game, so long as it's a good game I don't really care.
Yeah, I certainly don't think it's a clone of Freedom in the Galaxy as it was, at the galactic scale, a 12+ hour game. SPI don't you know, and as Brad above pointed out, outwardly much more complicated.

One of the main "problems" with SPI designs was accessibility. Many of their greatest games were NOT actually that difficult to play, AT ALL. Yes, it was massive, yes the rules were written like machine code, yes there were eight different ways to play, but if you had someone to teach you, or if you made the college slog through the book, the game on the other end was often fairly straight forward, and occasionally elegant. Freedom was in this class.

The rebel player has military troops, but is hopelessly fucked if he commits them early or poorly. He has to break his characters up into small task forces, sneak around in small personal sized ships, fly into systems covertly, and hop from planet to planet carrying out missions like Diplomacy, Acquisition, Sabotage, Rescue, Assassination, etc... Each character had a card with great art on one side (much like SPI's War of the Ring or Swords and Sorcery) and stats / special abilities on the other.

The Empire is obviously pretty much the opposite, powerful military, fewer and for the most part, shittier, characters. They have to identify what the rebels are doing, blockade systems, lay traps (units are deployed upside down), decide which planets you could bomb to dust as examples, set up planetary defense and so on. They go on missions too, often trying to undo the the damage the rebels have done, flying Senator Dermond around talking sense into rabble rousers, etc...

One cool facet of the game was how rebel troops are all keyed to their environs. Each planet had a dominant environ, so, volcanic, forested, urban, that kind of thing. Rebel troops, being a motley crew of different species, got large bonuses if they fought on a planet familiar to them, and penalties laid out in a chart for those substantially different (aquatic troops fared quite badly on volcanic planets.)

Honestly, it was, move units, move characters, avoid system defenses, assign mission groups, draw event cards to resolve missions (you needed a certain number of mission keyed success symbols on the cards, WHILE living through any events that occurred, like you know, NOTstormtrooper ambushes, security codes, etc...) fight any battles, check for... hell what did they call it? Cascade or something. It was cool because if you could get a single planet to rebel, that was great. But, if you could get several in the same area to get really pissed off, just on the brink, and THEN push one over the edge, you could get a big sweeping wave of systems slipping through the tightly gripped fingers of the regional governors who were keeping their systems in line with fear.

I think Freedom was a beautiful game. It didn't have fancy computer renderings, but, much like Star Trader, it had its own cool sci-fi vibe aesthetic.

Damn, keep rambling. Point is, once you're in the game, it's long, it's deep, but it's not hard. There is obviously room to modernize its delivery and presentation, and since it was a direct jack of the Star Wars IP it would be poetic on a number of levels if it was any inspiration at all to this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having not played War of the Ring on first appearances it reminded me of Arkham Horror.

On closer reading it reminds me of Nexus Ops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda reminds me of the old PC game "War of the Lance" where the good guys didn't really have a country per se, and had to travel around convincing various nations to join their cause, while the bad guys simply invaded and took what they wanted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
KY
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
I'm really wondering where this comparison with Forbidden Stars is coming from. Is it just because both feature spaceships-on-a-map and Forbidden Stars is the most recent instance of this from FFG?
Yeah I don't get it. Nothing alike other than "dudes on a map".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
Yeah I don't get it. Nothing alike other than "dudes on a map".
My sense is the same as yours - space, figurines, and recent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Ross
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks a bit like Rune Wars to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Rumple
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
When it's all said and done...Nexus Ops (advanced with asymmetry).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is a Dudes-on-a-map with special powers game. I love these kinds of games, so naturally Rebellion is awesome. Of all the games I know of I don't see an obvious parallel... I think it will be its own standalone system.

Dice are likely used for combat, but not in the Risk kind of way I think. My initial guess is that it's actually something like X-Wing, where you have hit and "focus" results. Since some of the power cards appear to have a dice symbol on them, they are probably results you can spend to activate those certain card abilities if you have them.

As of now it seems like each player has two faction decks. The larger one probably has events and characters, and the smaller one is for combat resolution and other special powers?

The game has four(!) other smaller decks, two of which might be faction-dependent because of how the example lays them out. I can only guess on the two on the left of the example... one is probably a global event deck drawn when the timer is advanced, and the other... a special draw deck? It's interesting that the Empire places their cards on one of the game corners but the Rebels have a new card there.

There are also... surrounds? for the character pawns. Empire have three, Rebels have four. I think I read that one of them was used to denote captured characters?

The units have more red dice than black on their charts. Does the game reward the attacker?

....all of these things are unlike any other game I know of. The dice seem to have 2 facings, so there is no roll-order mechanic like War of the Ring and Age of Conan. There are no obvious order tokens, so the Starcraft/Forbidden stars direct comparison is out. We know that there are special victory conditions and economics seem more complicated than points, so it's not Axis and Allies. And based on the things Navajas tells us about Freedom in the Galaxy, I'd think the game adopts the spirit of FitG without implimenting the grit. If anything the game superficially reminds me of Horus Heresy, but Rebellion is more of a traditional strategy game compared to HH's siege-defense feeling.

So I think we're looking at a new animal. Unless anyone can call out and translate individual mechanics, I don't think direct comparisons are going to work. FFG's taken a lot of their mechanics that worked in other games in the past and included them here. I can't wait to have it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres Cervantes
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Having not read the FFG post but by only browsing the forums it seems like there is no consensis as to what game this is derivative from. Is there a chance that this is perhaps an Original Design and not just a re-theme and a reshape?

Edit: Of course all mechanics in all games now are derivative of another game at one point in time or another, thats not what I mean by Original Design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Finnigan

Middleboro
Massachusetts
msg tools
Can I just cheat and say it is Star Wars Rebellion the pc game made into a board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burnett
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jobin13 wrote:
Invictus5000 wrote:
Will disagree with you here...Empire at War was an RTS, while Rebellion was turn-based.

In my eyes:

Rebellion : Empire at War :: Sid Meier's Civ Series : Age of Empires
I would say:

Rebellion : Empire at War :: Europa Universalis : Age of Empires

The fact that it was not turn based was one of the coolest things about it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |