Nemo Outis
United States
flag msg tools
Background:

Like many others my first experience did not properly segregate the higher level monsters. We also misunderstood and were having each monster activate each turn. Not shockingly the first time out died. Second time we fixed those issues and still died. Swapped our characters from a wizard/cleric team to a fighter/ranger team. Came close but died. 4th try we finally beat the first mission. [/background]

It did finally start getting fun but our first couple attempts were not fun. I've been reading through some of the variants posted in the forum and some of the houserules seem good. So I thought I'd start a thread with two goals:

First: A checklist for n00bs like me who die ie (explore whenever possible, make sure only the right monsters are activating, make sure you have seperated the decks, use XP to buy out encounter cards). I'm sure there are other common mistakes/misunderstandings and it would be good to help them fix those issues rather than pitching a 50 dollar game.

Second: For different variants that you have enjoyed, post what you did and then some sort of rating of how much easier or harder it made it. The idea being the n00bs can say "why don't we try the houserules that put it on easy/med/hard" like we do with video games.

And if the mods think this is a bad thread- feel free to delete. Just a n00b trying to help here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your rate of failure to success is about right.

Remember, not EVERY monster activates on every hero's turn. That one had me nuts when I first bought Castle Ravenloft a few years ago.

I don't know that you need a variant to make your games harder - unless you just want a variant. Simply don't use any Healing Surges or only have one. That usually makes it harder to win. Ravenloft and Ashardalon can be rough games on a hero. I'm reading that ToEE and LoD (in the same D&D Adventure Game series) are both a tad easier.

Last game of Ashardalon I played with a buddy came right down to the wire. We had to find the Chamber, kill the boss there, and get out. With both of our Surges used up, the last few rounds became an intricate puzzle of actions and timing. We didn't win.

Have fun with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.