Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George I.
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The event reads "Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Set it aside". Is the "set it aside" clause a "when-gain" effect of the card? If so, then I assume I can choose the order of the resolution.

Example: Nomad Camp
(a) Put it on top of your deck (card)
(b) Set it aside (event)

If (a) happens first, then the event has lost track of it, as it expects the card to be on the top of the discard pile, so it cannot be set aside and thus being played next round.
If (b) happens first, then the card cannot move itself on the top of the deck, as it expects to find itself on the top of the discard pile.

Gaining an Inn (with cost reduction) should be more straightforward: if we first set it aside, then we cannot shuffle it back in the deck, as it's not in the discard pile. If we first resolve the Inn's ability, then we can only set it aside if we do not shuffle it back in the deck and we leave it on top of the discard pile afterwards! If, for some reason**, we do not want to either shuffle it back or set it aside, then we can just cover it with any other card from the discard pile after resolving the Inn's ability.

** say, an opponent has played a swamp hag, you have no cards in your draw pile, you have a quarry in play, gain an Inn through Summon to avoid taking a Curse, and shuffle exactly 5 action cards in your deck; you might not want to play the Inn, so as not to trigger a reshuffle and miss the juicy cards you're about to buy... or screw the Counting House. .

Concerning the Death Cart, I assume you always gain 2 ruins (if able), regardless of how you resolve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Picon wrote:
The event reads "Gain an Action card costing up to $4. Set it aside". Is the "set it aside" clause a "when-gain" effect of the card? If so, then I assume I can choose the order of the resolution.

(b) Set it aside (event)
Setting the gained card aside is not timed like "when you gain this" things are; it's just an instruction on Summon. You gain a card. Then you set it aside. All "when you gain this" abilities would happen prior to setting the card aside. And the card is not set it aside if it was lost somehow (e.g. covered up), which then causes the rest of Summon to fail due to the "if you do" (that the German version accidentally leaves out).

Nomad Camp is a further special case; even though it's phrased like it triggers on gaining, in fact Nomad Camp goes directly to the top of your deck, without visiting anywhere else. It's a special case just for Nomad Camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Picon wrote:

(b) Set it aside (event)
Setting the gained card aside is not timed like "when you gain this" things are; it's just an instruction on Summon. You gain a card. Then you set it aside. All "when you gain this" abilities would happen prior to setting the card aside. And the card is not set it aside if it was lost somehow (e.g. covered up), which then causes the rest of Summon to fail due to the "if you do" (that the German version accidentally leaves out).

Nomad Camp is a further special case; even though it's phrased like it triggers on gaining, in fact Nomad Camp goes directly to the top of your deck, without visiting anywhere else. It's a special case just for Nomad Camp.
I'm sure this has been answered by Watchtower/Nomad Camp questions in the past, but does being placed on top of your deck cause lose track to take effect? In other words, if you Summon a Nomad Camp, does it get set aside? I'd guess yes, because it was not covered up, but the front of the card was hidden from view...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
I'm sure this has been answered by Watchtower/Nomad Camp questions in the past, but does being placed on top of your deck cause lose track to take effect? In other words, if you Summon a Nomad Camp, does it get set aside? I'd guess yes, because it was not covered up, but the front of the card was hidden from view...
If a card is gained directly to somewhere other than the discard pile - such as Nomad Camp's special case, or a Silver gained with Mine - then things that want to move the card have not yet lost track of it. Using Summon on Nomad Camp lets you set aside the Nomad Camp, provided there's no when-gain trigger that messes this up for you (such as Watchtower).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kurgas
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording on Nomad Camp does not include "you may", so I would think it must go onto the top of your deck -- preventing it from being set aside. Using Watchtower from your hand is an optional Reaction, so why would you do that, unless you wanted to trash the card you summoned?

To me, Summon works a lot like a Duration card's "next turn" effect, as long as the summoned Action card can be set aside.

I presume that at the start of your next turn, bringing the set aside Action card into play uses up your one allowed action for that turn. Best to make sure the card you summoned has a +1 action or better available.

Beware if the player to your right played a Possession card during their turn, as the Action card you just set aside will be used by them!

I am unsure what the correct procedure is, when Inn is your summoned card. Could we please get Mr. Vaccarino's input on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
billk1928 wrote:
The wording on Nomad Camp does not include "you may", so I would think it must go onto the top of your deck -- preventing it from being set aside. Using Watchtower from your hand is an optional Reaction, so why would you do that, unless you wanted to trash the card you summoned?
Nomad Camp's default destination is the top of your deck. Other things can provide another possible destination (e.g. Transmogrify), and since it's not lost track of, you can move it from there (such as with Watchtower). Why you would use Watchtower in this situation is something people can consider for you, but the rules don't involve why's, you can do things even if they're very poor strategically.

billk1928 wrote:
I presume that at the start of your next turn, bringing the set aside Action card into play uses up your one allowed action for that turn. Best to make sure the card you summoned has a +1 action or better available.
No, playing the card doesn't use up your normal Action play.

billk1928 wrote:
I am unsure what the correct procedure is, when Inn is your summoned card. Could we please get Mr. Vaccarino's input on this?
If you shuffle Inn into your deck, Summon will fail to play it next turn. If you shuffle other cards into your deck and Inn is no longer on top of your discard pile, Summon will fail to find it to set it aside and thus will fail to play it next turn. If you do not shuffle Inn into your deck and also leave it on top of your discard pile, Summon will then set it aside and play it on your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
If you shuffle other cards into your deck and Inn is no longer on top of your deck, Summon will fail to find it to set it aside and thus will fail to play it next turn. [..]
I assume you meant "on top of your discard pile", or else this doesn't make sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
borgemik wrote:
donaldx wrote:
If you shuffle other cards into your deck and Inn is no longer on top of your deck, Summon will fail to find it to set it aside and thus will fail to play it next turn. [..]
I assume you meant "on top of your discard pile", or else this doesn't make sense.
Yes, corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Kurgas
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for your input. My friends and I were not going to play with the Summon event card until we knew better how to use it properly. I'll pass this information along to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls