Subject: MRP or Concordia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Olson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't have a role selection game in my collection, but I think I'm ready for one.

Mission: Red Planet (new version) looks great and looks like a game that would appeal to family and friends on just the look itself. I have yet to play it.

I have, however, played Concordia and really enjoyed it. It's definitely meatier, which I like, but I'm not sure the theme will lure my group.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - full heart containerMicrobadge: The Legend of Zelda fan - half-full heart containerMicrobadge: Rush fan
I hated MRP but loved Concordia. They're pretty different.

I'm not sure I'd consider Concordia a role-selection game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
I enjoy both games (1st ed MRP), but really don't see much in common with either game.

I prefer the mechanics and chaos in MRP 1st edition over Concordia, but wouldn't turn own either game.

If you've played Concordia and have enjoyed it, why risk MRP (if you aren't getting both )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KnightProducer wrote:
I don't have a role selection game in my collection, but I think I'm ready for one.
(...)
I have, however, played Concordia and really enjoyed it. It's definitely meatier, which I like, but I'm not sure the theme will lure my group.

Thoughts?
As curtc said, Concordia is not really a role selection game, it's more like a trading game with deck building and network building.
If you'd like to get the role selection game, think about Puerto Rico. Yes, it's not new, but there is still nothing moldy/dusty at it (and it won't be in 5 or 10 years).

But as you enjoyed Concordia, I'd also say: Go get it, it's a great and beautiful game!

A telediagnosis whether your group will like it or not is hard without knowing about the guys...
Are there very slow thinkers between them? (This may slow down Concordia and ruin one of its' biggest strengths, the quick and incredibly smooth gameplay.)
Are there any popular games your group did especially like or not like?
Does it need "Take that"-moments or big epic moves you'll remember to excite your buddies (there is not much aggressive interaction in Concordia and there won't be that one move that completely changes the game)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls