Subject: First Walk Through Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had Mage Knight Board Game sitting on a shelf for a bit over a year. I had heard great things about the game, and it looked like one that I could really get into while playing solo. When I first received the game I looked at the rule book and walk through and to put it mildly was slightly overwhelmed.

I started to set up and quickly realized that my gaming card table was not going to cut it for space. After about 30 minutes I decided I needed to be more dedicated to give this game a go, so back to the shelf it went. And there it sat mocking me for months.

I finally decided to give it another go. I watched the entire walk through done by Ricky Royal on youtube. His walk through made it look so easy.

So with my confidence newly bolstered I went for it again. I used the card table and an additional folding tray table to make sure I had enough room. I also had the laptop set up next to me so I could have Ricky Royal's walkthrough playing as I played.

I slowly progressed focusing on exploration and in fact going out of my way to avoid conflict for a while.

There is so much to this game that for the first time playing I decided to focus on exploring and learning to use my cards and mana combinations. I did finally decide I had to battle. I fought several orcs while exploring and took out a mage tower. I didn't explore any dungeons, crypts, etc.

I won't pretend that I have a firm grasp on this game, but I do feel less intimidated by it. To make set up easier I did read a lot of information on the game about how to group everything for the individual Mage Knight together in baggies.

There is so much to this game that without the video walk through I'm not sure I would have ever felt comfortable putting it to the table. But after going through the walk through I am so glad I did. This game allows so many options. You can choose the directions to explore, if you want to fight various enemies, if you want to attack fortified positions, if you want to explore dungeons, crypts, etc. It somewhat fills that itch for a role playing game and sometimes I felt like I was 10 years old again with a choose your own adventure book.

I will read through the walk through scenario and rules again and I will try to go through the walk through again in a week or two.

Edit - I forgot to mention my score, which was 34. I'm not sure how that stands for a first time playing the walk through scenario but just figured I would share it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Wolfsburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I am in almost the same position you have been.
But I actually sold the game and bought it again in the English language version after hearing so many great things in the solo player guild.
Now I am actually additionally watching Rickie's Solo conquest videos and feel confident.
I hope that it sticks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle Farm
New Zealand
flag msg tools
If you are like me, the next stage will be total bewilderment about how you can EVER defeat the final cities. They seem so strong.

Then the game starts to click as you work out the side quests are needed to get strong enough to eventually take on the cities. The hard part then is working out how many to do to leave enough time to take the cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to start with the Walk Through videos. He has a ton of videos out there and when I first started watching I think I was watching the solo conquest instead of the walk through scenario.

This is the first video you should start with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cam_millar wrote:
If you are like me, the next stage will be total bewilderment about how you can EVER defeat the final cities. They seem so strong.

Then the game starts to click as you work out the side quests are needed to get strong enough to eventually take on the cities. The hard part then is working out how many to do to leave enough time to take the cities.
I still plan to do the walk through exploration scenario one or two more times before moving on to conquest. The next time I will make sure to spend time on the side items like dungeons, crypts, etc. Then I might try a conquest. I still had one more night left based on this scenario when I discovered the city. That is probably way to little time to be able to take the thing out. There were turns where I felt like I was hardly doing anything based on my lack of understanding on how to properly use my cards. I often forgot that I could turn cards sideways to add movement or attack, so I would move somewhere and be worried I couldn't defeat the enemy or I would wait until the next turn to explore when in all actuality I could have completed it in the same turn I moved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls