Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Does adding a fresh coat of art make much of a difference for you? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Many games have either had revisions, new editions, and alternative cards/components. For some folks, it makes the games all the better. Others, it's worse. Then there's everything in between.

I guess it can liven up some games, like the reprintings of Samurai, Mission Red Planet, and Pandemic, but it seems in the end, most of us care more about other changes. And AFAIK, anytime you have new art, there's often been other changes or clarifications to gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
Microbadge: One does not simply recognize great geeks. Not with 10,000 stars could you do this...Microbadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: Level 20 BGG posterMicrobadge: Chit Chatter of the DayMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
I would be fine with direct reprints of previously released games. If I liked them, they are fine they way they are.

If I didn't like them, I'd prefer they just come out with a 'new' game entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ask Glory to Rome.

The original was like a cartoon. The black box edition is now a grail game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars FanMicrobadge: Castles of Burgundy fanMicrobadge: Trajan FanMicrobadge: I'm a Concordia Vintner!Microbadge: I'm a Concordia Weaver!
Quote:
Does adding a fresh coat of art make much of a difference for you?
It depends. Is the new art better or worse than the old art? If it's better then yes, if not, then no. If the only difference is the art, then it would have to be a significant improvement over the previous art to make me want to replace a copy I own with a new copy. I'm much more likely to purchase a revised version of the game if something in the gameplay has changed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cystic Fibrosis AwarenessMicrobadge: I speak GreekMicrobadge: Rules LawyerMicrobadge: Platinum Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Lawyer
ChipChuck wrote:
Ask Glory to Rome.

Which is fine by me.

Pete (hates the black box edition and got the cartoony one for $7 because of it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm having a hard time thinking of a game in which a later edition improved on the first edition's art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: ProfessorMicrobadge: Video Game DesignerMicrobadge: 2013 Dice Tower Convention attendeeMicrobadge: Golden Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Carnegie Mellon University
clearclaw wrote:
I'm having a hard time thinking of a game in which a later edition improved on the first edition's art.
Celestia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Code MonkeyMicrobadge: GMT fanMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: I Love Gaming with My GirlFriend!!!
ChipChuck wrote:
Ask Glory to Rome.

Yet the real grail version is getting an English version done with the European art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clearclaw wrote:
Dragon's Gold ?

Sorry, I just get to use that for all my game questions this week, it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Star Wars fan - GreedoMicrobadge: University of South FloridaMicrobadge: ChristianMicrobadge: City of Heroes fanMicrobadge: LEGO fan
I actually like Nexus Ops reprint better, at least the minis, I can agree the tiles are a bit busy.

Also prefer the reprint of Fortress America, especially the card art.

Art does matter to me. I was drawn to Hunters of Arcfall by the art style.

I hope facelifts in general breathe new life into OOP games so we can see more of them come back. E.g. I'd get a reprint of Big City even if it was same aet & sculpts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
The Temple of Andor, from a Spore GA Logic puzzle. Last EA game I ever bought.
Microbadge: Laurie AndersonMicrobadge: Tom Waits fanMicrobadge: Ursula K. Le Guin fanMicrobadge: Johnny Cash fanMicrobadge: Disneyland: Haunted Mansion fan
If my original copy is functional, I don't typically buy a new addition. My Kill Dr. Lucky is thin cardboard inside a disintegrating envelope. However, if the art really appeals to me, I might notice a game I hadn't noticed before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
While it's not the most important thing, how a game looks is important to me (as a game artist, it had better be! ). Since I'm new to boardgames I haven't encountered a situation where a game I already own has a shiny new edition, but when buying games I find I'm usually happy with the art of new editions, and usually either prefer it to the old one or am at least 50/50 on it. I can't really think of any where I heavily preferred the old art when deciding what edition to get (note: this is separate from whether the graphic design is better or not, which I've seen mixed results for)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
clearclaw wrote:
I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Art doesn't matter too much to me, so I couldn't say. Usually they screw up the remakes of the games I enjoy by changing rules for the worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Golden Retriever loverMicrobadge: RPG Geek of the Week!Microbadge: Sam & Max fanMicrobadge: I was here for BGG's Tenth Anniversary!
Ain't gonna happen, but I don't mind a few facelifts for some seriously old games I enjoyed... laugh

Board Game: Mystic War

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jiryfoe Man
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
open the heart
Microbadge: Sushi Go! fanMicrobadge: Sylvion fanMicrobadge: This is so exciting! I've never been so excited! Well, except for that time when I went "Oh my gosh, I'm a microbadge!", but I mean, really, who can top that?!Microbadge: Eminent Domain fanMicrobadge: Print and Play Games News fan
Art makes all the difference.

I hate zombie games, due to the gore.

I bought "I hate zombies" because the art was insanely good.

I Hate Zombies

ALSO

Check out this retheme for Fairy Tale:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/480734/re-theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
Microbadge: BirdwatcherMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Dominant Species fanMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Agricola fan
I really don't care about the art, so long as it is highly functional and not distracting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clearclaw wrote:
Lords of Scotland, definitely.
I bought the first edition based on the theme. I liked the gameplay, but the art was horrible. Then the second edition came out and even though it was double the price, I had to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Game Design HobbyistMicrobadge: Magic: The Gathering playerMicrobadge: Role-playerMicrobadge: Spirit Island fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls
Sam and Max wrote:
Ain't gonna happen, but I don't mind a few facelifts for some seriously old games I enjoyed... laugh

Board Game: Mystic War

I've got a copy of that I picked up an eternity ago based on a recommendation in the pre-BGG era, but it's so eye-gougingly hideous I've never been able to bring myself to actually play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United Kingdom
West London
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Babylon 5 fan - G'KarMicrobadge: I've played games in JapanMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level II - If I have seen further, it's only by standing on the apex of other's dice.Microbadge: Amiga fan - Make Up Your Own MindMicrobadge: Faith No More fan
Really excited for the new Grail Games version of Medici. It's a great game but was always let down by it's rather poor art design in the various releases.

Now the new art will make a great game even better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Bauer
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: Happily married for 20 yearsMicrobadge: Kansas City Royals fanMicrobadge: I speak MandarinMicrobadge: Silver Board Game Collector
About the difference in driving a primer grey corvette or a glossy candy apple red corvette. One works...the other stuns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
Microbadge: QA/Software TesterMicrobadge: Area control games fanMicrobadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: The Dresden Files fanMicrobadge: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim fan
Both Glory to Rome (as already mentioned) and Innovation were hugely improved by the artwork facelift. Seems Carl Chudyk has a thing for getting bad artwork in first editions :-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
Neuquen Capital
Neuquen
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Pandemic: On the Brink fanMicrobadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Terry Pratchett fanMicrobadge: Copper Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek Veteran
I don't Know if it´s enough to change an older version for the new one...
but definitely if there is a newer version with better artwork and I want the game, I´d go for the new...
almost always the newer edition has fixed mayor or minor issues in addition of the art changes..

Example came to mind: Dominant Species

edit: typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I generally like new editions - but there are some games that I prefer the older editions of:

Catan: I prefer the colour palette in 3rd edition because it's nice and dark. 4th edition (like Smallworld) is too cheery for me.

Caylus: The box cover with the grumpy king is representative of the (sometimes arbitrary) punishment you will receive in this game. It's a perfect fit - why change it?

Tigris and Euphrates: I like the colour choices and the elegant/minimalistic wooden components in the Mayfair edition (symmetrical player pieces = awesome).

Power Grid: Though Power Grid Deluxe doesn't technically replace Power Grid, I much prefer Power Grid's elegant minimalistic tendencies. The muted colour palette is very fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Russian Railroads fanMicrobadge: Terra Mystica fanMicrobadge: Five Tribes fanMicrobadge: Blood Rage fan - Bear ClanMicrobadge: Carson City fan
Board Game: Robin Hood

vs.

Board Game: Sheriff of Nottingham

I rest my case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls