Codenames» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF #36- Turbo- Red 1 Blue 0 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
I want to watch the world burn, I'll grab the gasoline.
mbmbmbmbmb
Player Listing:
red Team
jargo - Spymaster Round 1
Syvanis - Spymaster Round 2
zorah - Spymaster Round 3

blue Team
theknightofcups - Spymaster Round 1
benesephiir - Spymaster Round 2
edbolme - Spymaster Round 3

Rules that may be different from other games:
1. 24 hours without pointing or giving a clue opens up the opposing team to forcing a pass. If the last clue was given/guessed >23:59 hours ago and the opposing team posts something pointing this out then the offending team effectively passes.
The hours between 8pm Friday - 8am Monday do not count against the 24 hours. Those times are based on Central Standard Time in America (AKA BGG time).
2. Google is ok.
3. If you are not sure if a clue is allowable then check with opposing spy master to get approval.
4. If you need a judgement on something and I haven't chimed in then GM me.
[i]5. Please point at one word at a time and wait until finding out the result prior to pointing at another clue.

6. Any private GM discourse about the game between anyone other than the two spymasters should go through the GM and with GM approval prior to sending it.
7. Moderation of apparently invalid clue: The rules indicate that the offending spymaster should lose their turn and that their opponent will get to choose a free word of their own color to be revealed. The moderator reserves the right to enforce that rule or to use a less harsh version of that rule if it seems more appropriate. A less harsh version could involve only a word reveal or only a loss of turn or a word reveal chosen by the offending spymaster. This may be done to deal with a borderline case.

Rules

Codenames is a team-based party game with limited communication between a team's captain and the rest of the team. The captain changes from round to round.

At the start of each round, each team will nominate a captain. A 5x5 grid of words (25), will be laid out in front of all players, and the team's captains will be told secret information about those words, which they will need to convey, with limited communication methods, to their teammates.

I will randomly generate an assignment of four different types to the 25 words in that round: 8/9 Blue, 8/9 Red, 7 neutral (regular font), 1 Assassin (bolded). I will then assign randomly at the start of the game a color to each team and a starting team. The starting team will then alternate in future rounds. I will GeekMail the spymasters of each team the assignment of each word to its color via GeekMail, so that both captains know this secret information but the other team members do not. All the other players know are the 25 words in the grid.

Each team's turn is broken up into two steps: giving a clue, and pointing at words.

1. Giving a clue. On a team's turn, the captain must only say one word and one number. For instance, they might say, "safari 3." That means that there are three words out in the grid that are related to the word safari. They can say ONLY those two things: one word and one number. They must bold this to make it clear that is their official clue. After that, they are done talking for that turn (minus idle chit-chat). The only restriction of the word portion of the clue is that it cannot be one of the words in the 5x5 grid, nor any sub-word or super-word of those words (eg, if "snake" is a word in the grid, "snakes" is not a valid clue).

2. Pointing at words. Now the rest of team must select up to four (three plus a bonus) words to guess at, one at a time. They can stop pointing out words at any time (after they guess at least once). Players must bold this pointing action to make it official (eg, "point to elephant"). They can only point at up to 4 words on their turn (because the clue used the number 3). Once they point to a word, the moderator or one of the captains reveals the color of that word. If the word is the color of the team, the team may continue guessing words (up to the number given in the clue). If the color of the word is either White, or the other team's color, the turn immediately ends and the other team takes a turn. If the color is Black, then the round immediately ends and the other team wins the round.

The first team to point at all 9 (or 8) of their words wins the round. The team that goes first will always have an extra word.

Here is a pdf of the official rulebook, which should address many of the questions.

Other Rules:
- Compound Words: Allowed (including standard hyphenated words. Must get the ok from either the mod or the other spymaster before posting a hyphenated word.)
- Homonyms: Not allowed.
- Rhymes: Only allowed if they relate to the meaning of the word.
- XXXX 0: Allowed
- XXXX Unlimited: Allowed
- Acronyms, Abbreviations, Proper Names and Titles (fiction or non-fiction): allowed (as long as they are real and fairly common).
-Examples of acceptable clues: FBI, Federal Bureau of Investigation, CA, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, New York City, Lawrence of Arabia, George Washington, or Han Solo.
- Important note on speed etiquette: As a regular spy, if you agree with your teammate's plan or the first part of a multipart plan then go ahead and act on that plan. If you agree on their first choice of word then point at it or if you agree that it is time to pass then pass. Also, if it is early in a round and you have already gotten all of your words then go ahead and pass. Don't discuss it or wait for approval.

We will play all 3 rounds regardless of who wins the first 2 rounds.

In case you want to use the banners:
Blue Team
Blue Spymaster
Red Team
Red Spymaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF #36- Turbo
Please confirm participation, and I will send out grids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Bolme
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Don't Tread On MeMicrobadge: plusMicrobadge: A parasol a day keeps a sunburn away.Microbadge: equalsMicrobadge: I love Hong Kong!
here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woohoo I am in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian, Benny, Bennis, Beans, Binesse.
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
Please confirm participation, and I will send out grids.
participation confirmed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll confirm.

A couple of questions: your waiting list post says Google allowed, but this thread says not.

And for compound words, it means closed compounds are okay, hyphenated compounds need approval, and open compounds are ... not allowed? Or something else?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Google is allowed. Sorry. I stole the post from someone else and just scanned it for things to fix.

That is exactly what it means for the compound words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ljtrigirl wrote:
Google is allowed. Sorry. I stole the post from someone else and just scanned it for things to fix.

That is exactly what it means for the compound words.
Cool, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
Microbadge: Water Pokemon FanMicrobadge: Pick-a-Seal fanMicrobadge: Team RocketMicrobadge: LeoMicrobadge: Pokémon fan
Hi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theknightofcups wrote:
Hi!
Welcome to the blue team!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOOO RED TEAM!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Play to win!
Microbadge: Water Pokemon FanMicrobadge: Pick-a-Seal fanMicrobadge: Team RocketMicrobadge: LeoMicrobadge: Pokémon fan
Benesephiir wrote:
theknightofcups wrote:
Hi!
Welcome to the blue team!
Hi, Fluffy Lamb.
heart heart heart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OH YEAH! VROOMMM! VROOOOOOMMMM!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bump

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patience: 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
patience: 2
Spoiler (click to reveal)

I think it must be virtue and Bullshit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

PBF #36, Round 1

9 Red Remaining sugar
8 Blue Remaining

Think
Smile
Face
Angel
Shark
Mop
Feast
Thief
Corner
Glasses
Pirate
Hurdle
Spit
Champion
England
Toast
Fair
Old
Mascot
Sink
Film
Row
Spool
Gum
Can

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trafford 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I can't say I know what Trafford is. Something makes me feel like it has something to do with England. Other than that I am clueless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
point to England

Will ponder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
England is Red

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I was coming up with some off-the-wall theories, but I think it's just Old. Apparently Old Trafford is a stadium that is the home of Manchester United. That would presumably be something well-known among soccer fans!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
point to old

Everything in England is old...sounds good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old is Red

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |