8 Posts

BGG» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: How do I turn a board game into an online accessible game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Lloyd
msg tools
Basically,

I want to know the steps needed to turn a fully functional board game into a computer game. I have a father who was a board game designer in the 80s and I want to help him make his games available on a computer.

Ideally, I would like to:

1st - Turn his board games into computer games
2nd - Make his computer games available online

Things I would like to know:
- What is the best programming language to learn for this?
- What other programs would I need to use?
- Would I need to hire a professional to make the game available online?

Any help would be great!
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well there's a few ways you can go and it just depends on how much you want to invest in what.
There are a few programs such as tabletop simulator (i'm blanking on the other program's name as I've only seen it mentioned here and I haven't used it) where its just a virtual world and you import whatever you want. This accomplishes your goals with minimal cost. The steps could be as short as get tabletop sim. Full input needs being: a computer budget rig should still be fine, steam and making a steam account which all that is free, internet, tabletop sim $15 or under, then the time to make the game in tabletop sim.
This could be a good option because it has the added bonus of actually giving your father a world to make board games in rather than just having the game.
I'm just not sure what you would gain doing it in a major programming way being that your gonna have to know or pay a lot. Well bear in mind I've never tried programming a full in depth game. I guess AI but is that something you need?

Does that idea work or am I missing the mark?
I'm not bothering trying to give you a list of programming stuff because I don't know if theres even a "best programming language". Kinda depends on what you want too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps first try http://www.vassalengine.org/ before you get sucked into the murky world of game programming. Tons of people here to help with that.

(PS Any thoughts about getting your Dad to release games here on BGG as "print and play" versions ... there's an upsurge of interest in that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Lloyd
msg tools
This is the game - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17429/fortress

The game is a turn based dungeon game with special cards, gold to collect, 4 unique units, and roll based movement. The goal is to collect a certain amount of gold and then have one of your adventurers leave the dungeon(castle).

Ideally, it would be playable with only humans (no AI). And I am a entrepreneur and love learning new things, so learning to program wouldn't scare me. I programmed a bit in highschool (VB) but I don't know much now.

Worst case scenario - I would have a version of his board game that could be played from a single computer.

Best case scenario - I would want his game to be available online through a private website where users can play vs. friends anywhere in the world. I know at this point I would probably require professionals.

Could this be made on table top sim? And if not, what would be the most ideal language to make this game?

Regards,
Sean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Lloyd
msg tools
gamesbook wrote:
Perhaps first try http://www.vassalengine.org/ before you get sucked into the murky world of game programming. Tons of people here to help with that.

(PS Any thoughts about getting your Dad to release games here on BGG as "print and play" versions ... there's an upsurge of interest in that.)
He could do that. He is actually getting old (50+) and lacks the passion and energy he once had. Which is why I would love to help him.

He has created some of the best games I have ever played and if I could figure out a way that I could do the hard stuff, it would be great. Even ways to outsource the whole project and pay someone would be an option. I am not tied to a budget - but I love learning, so the programming interests me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yup tabletop sim has you covered easy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cityandsean wrote:
gamesbook wrote:

He could do that. He is actually getting old (50+) and lacks the passion and energy he once had. Which is why I would love to help him.
Er, I am 50+ ... and program full-time for a living. I hope I have not yet lost my passion and energy Maybe gaming helps keep one young-ish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Learning to program will take a long time. You are not only needing to learn how to turn a click of a user into a result, but also how to save his actions, how to solve your bugs, how to design the user interface and how to test well.
Even creating a simple game like love letter will take (a few) hours to program, design, test and deploy for an experienced programmer.
You have to learn how to program and then find the time to program, test, design and deploy it.
If you really want to not use an existing program to create it, ask around here. I think there are plenty of programmers that want to spend some time to help you out and program a game for you.

About making the game available:
there are free websites where you can host the game. There are also some BGG users with a website and they maybe want to host your game, who knows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls