26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: Victory Point Games 20% Off Site Wide Nov. 6th-9th [dead] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS SALE
NOV. 6th THROUGH Nov. 9th!

For a limited time, from Friday, Nov. 6th through Monday, Nov. 9th (midnight to midnight U.S. Pacific time), everything is 20% off! (the prices for every item will be reduced 20% site-wide)! This discount also stacks with our normal Volume Discounts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Victory Point Games 20% Off Site Wide Nov. 6th-9th
Hadn't realized a game like Circus Train had gotten so expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Lee
United States
Forest Hills
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up! I've been holding off getting the Darkest Night Tinker & Hero Cards, and looking forward to throwing in a game or two with the order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
matthean wrote:
Yeah, you ain't kidding. Even the Nappy 20 series is now approaching $50 per game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greydt wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! I've been holding off getting the Darkest Night Tinker & Hero Cards, and looking forward to throwing in a game or two with the order.

No prob, I'm going to be picking up some Darkest Night stuff myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up, might have to finally break down and get Darkest Night. For anyone who's played it, is it different enough from Defenders of the Realm to warrant a space on my shelf or are they close enough in feel to not need both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Yeah, looks like the price has definitely crept up. But it's a great game, and a unique one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VPG's website mentions that the 20% off "does stack with our normal Volume Discounts achieved at purchases of $50 or more!" What's their normal volume discount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
VPG's website mentions that the 20% off "does stack with our normal Volume Discounts achieved at purchases of $50 or more!" What's their normal volume discount?

You receive a 5% discount if you order $50 or more; a 10% discount at $100; 15% at $150; and 20% at $200 or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archibaldo wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, might have to finally break down and get Darkest Night. For anyone who's played it, is it different enough from Defenders of the Realm to warrant a space on my shelf or are they close enough in feel to not need both?

I traded my copy away and still have DOTR. It's got a glaring issue with balance until/and if you buy the expansion for it. It's broken without the expansion. You just move your chars to the location above and below the monastery and search until you have enough keys, draw the necromancer to you and then kill him with ease... you never have to explore any other parts of the board.

I didn't want to have to spend more money on it just to "fix" it. So, just a heads up. You can also find this on the DN forums.

If you get the inner light expansion or the big box then your fine.. this just applies to the base game alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alandric wrote:
Archibaldo wrote:

I traded my copy away and still have DOTR. It's got a glaring issue with balance until/and if you buy the expansion for it. It's broken without the expansion. You just move your chars to the location above and below the monastery and search until you have enough keys, draw the necromancer to you and then kill him with ease... you never have to explore any other parts of the board.

I didn't want to have to spend more money on it just to "fix" it. So, just a heads up. You can also find this on the DN forums.

If you get the inner light expansion or the big box then your fine.. this just applies to the base game alone.

I have both and they're different enough that you could have both in your collection - I like Darkest Night more than DOTR as a solo game, and vice-versa I feel DOTR plays better with a group than Darkest night (I felt there weren't enough actions in DN for a group, but my wife enjoyed it quite a bit... so who knows?)

Regarding Andrew's comment about the base game - I haven't had any problems with it so far and enjoy playing the base game by itself, I do have all the expansions however, and the point about expansions "fixing" the game is relevant - they do make the game more "lively" and challenging as it gives you more option and rewards for those options, but the base game is fine and still enjoyable as you're getting used to the rules (although like Andrew said, it's a bit easy without the expansions). The point is kind of moot however if you're eyeing the necromancer bundle, which at 20% off, is a steal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anybody have any experience with For the Crown (Second edition)? Looks like an interesting game that could be a fun 2-player experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the regular prices look like they are going up. I picked up Frontier Stations back in August for I think 27.99 on sale (reg 32.99). The price is now $39.99.

Even at 32.99 I thought it was a bit high for a deck of cards and counters. The included playmat/board was completely unnecessary, making the box a lot bigger than it needed to be. I was also displeased with the quality of the components. I'd like to try Conquest At Kismet but I'm worried like Frontier Stations, these smaller games don't get the same treatment as their flagship titles like Darkest Night.

I still love the Darkest Night series. I've had no significant problems with the component quality in those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Theriot
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been eyeing some of these, and just a day ago, The Barbarossa Campaign, for example, was $54 - now it's $60. Makes you wonder if this is really a 20% off sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
Archibaldo wrote:

If I were to get it, the Necromancer bundle is the way I would go. It's good to know at least that the issues with the original game were addressed right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddiepbauer wrote:
alandric wrote:
Archibaldo wrote:

I have both and they're different enough that you could have both in your collection - I like Darkest Night more than DOTR as a solo game, and vice-versa I feel DOTR plays better with a group than Darkest night (I felt there weren't enough actions in DN for a group, but my wife enjoyed it quite a bit... so who knows?)

Regarding Andrew's comment about the base game - I haven't had any problems with it so far and enjoy playing the base game by itself, I do have all the expansions however, and the point about expansions "fixing" the game is relevant - they do make the game more "lively" and challenging as it gives you more option and rewards for those options, but the base game is fine and still enjoyable as you're getting used to the rules (although like Andrew said, it's a bit easy without the expansions). The point is kind of moot however if you're eyeing the necromancer bundle, which at 20% off, is a steal!

Ok, I'm glad to hear that it varies enough to warrant a spot as well. I know the mechanics are different etc., but overall they seemed like they fell into that same niche and I didn't want to end up feeling like I was playing the same exact game. The reason I don't own Pandemic is because I would play DOTR over it almost every time because I enjoy the theme(since gameplay is almost identical), and I was just trying to avoid a similar situation with Darkest Night. Thanks for the advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Here's a screen capture from September of this year that shows the Darkest Night Necromancer Bundle was $77.99. They've recently jacked up the price to $85.99. So, they basically raised the price on this game by %10 (and I wouldn't be surprised on the other titles people are saying have increased) before announcing a 20% off sale.

I mean, you're still saving some money from the regular sale price, but it's just this sort of dishonest sales tactic that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. I've bought from VPG before, and I'll probably do it again, but this sort of tactic makes me pause. And I had $160 worth of games ready to purchase for tomorrow. Wah wah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, with a print-on-demand publishing model, I'm sure their margins have to fluctuate all the time to keep pace with materials and changing manufacturing costs.

I can understand that, but my reservation stems from inconsistent component quality. I started with the base Darkest Night game and purchased all the expansions as they came out. The cards from each expansion seem to vary and I don't mean cutting imperfections. At some point they got a nice card rounder and the cards were perfectly rounded and symmetrical. In a later expansion, the cards were cut (I'm assuming with a laser cutter?) and match closer to the cards of the base game.

Then I ordered the large DN big box to hold everything and the sleeve that came with my box was measurably bigger and taller than the red box. It falls off on it's own and sits above the height of the box. The red boxes by the way, have changed as well- they no longer have the the two wings that lock the side flap in.

I just never know what I'm going to get from VPG laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
To be fair, with a print-on-demand publishing model, I'm sure their margins have to fluctuate all the time to keep pace with materials and changing manufacturing costs.

I can understand that, but my reservation stems from inconsistent component quality. I started with the base Darkest Night game and purchased all the expansions as they came out. The cards from each expansion seem to vary and I don't mean cutting imperfections. At some point they got a nice card rounder and the cards were perfectly rounded and symmetrical. In a later expansion, the cards were cut (I'm assuming with a laser cutter?) and match closer to the cards of the base game.

Then I ordered the large DN big box to hold everything and the sleeve that came with my box was measurably bigger and taller than the red box. It falls off on it's own and sits above the height of the box. The red boxes by the way, have changed as well- they no longer have the the two wings that lock the side flap in.

I just never know what I'm going to get from VPG laugh

Good point. It is very possible that because of their business model that their prices fluctuate! (Still, unfortunate timing given the price increase and then sale announcement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Theriot
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
(Still, unfortunate timing given the price increase and then sale announcement)

Exactly. Makes you go, "Hmmmmmm..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish VPG would embrace KS. I own Darkest night and the first expansion, but I'd buy a "more professionally" produced product, all of it, if available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
I wish VPG would embrace KS. I own Darkest night and the first expansion, but I'd buy a "more professionally" produced product, all of it, if available.

Agreed. Or generally cheaper products, perhaps. You'd think the whole in-house production and in-house distribution would cut costs. If it doesn't, they have several popular titles they could take to KS or I'm sure publish through a more "capable" company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:

I won't be surprised if Darkest Night didn't go there eventually. It looks like Nemo's War is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They have done 2 Kickstarters with pretty good success.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
They have done 2 Kickstarters with pretty good success.

Yeah, but I wish they'd "embrace" the platform. Why not take their best-sellers and bring them to the next level. No risk if you pre-fund the endeavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.