Popular Tags: [View All]
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Not a real zombie.
Microbadge: Santorini fanMicrobadge: Riichi Mahjong fanMicrobadge: Root fanMicrobadge: Evolution fanMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
When playing we constantly (inadvertently) skip over the other players "Resolve threatened hits" step before adding our own threatened hits to the plate.

Does it make any practical difference whether threatened hits are resolved at the beginning of the players turn vs midway through the turn of the previous player?

In 3p hot-pepper play it would (because next player and previous player aren't the same), but I can't see the what the difference would be in 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Level 07 BGG posterMicrobadge: Silver File UploaderMicrobadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level I - One small step for geek... One giant leap for geek-kind!Microbadge: Silver Image UploaderMicrobadge: 10 Year Geek Veteran
Yes, this mostly comes from being overexcited about your own threatened hits. I did it a lot when I first started playing.

We have found that things resolve best if the Immediate Action is done, well, immediately, AND then the threatened hits are resolved immediately thereafter.

I also found it helps both the game play AND the immersion to treat the Immediate Actions and Threatened hits as 'trash talk' conversation during the game. "I'm threatening an average double followed by a single!" Well I Glove your double" (and as opponent resolves his hits) "and now I threaten you with a fast triple!" If you try this a few times, it should help sort things out.

Although in most cases it doesn't really make a difference, it is just cleaner, once you get the hang of it.

Best
Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when I teach this game I ask the players to do just as Ralph said. It goes a long way in helping players understand the mechanics of the back and forth play.

I do it myself, because as Ralph said, it creates another layer of player interaction and brings out the theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls