Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
Hi all,

After purchasing my own copy of The Scheldt Campaign (not yet arrived by Canada Post), wrapping up work on the module for GMT's Churchill, and having a few weeks rest before tackling the last bits of the updates to the Band of Brothers modules for Worthington/Jim Krohn, I contacted Brian Train to ask about the possibility of volunteering my time and skills to create a Vassal module for The Scheldt Campaign.

Brian was kind enough to reply and to tell me that "I think people would like a VASSAL module for the Scheldt game. If you develop it, you have my thanks - I don't use VASSAL much myself but I see the appeal of it."

I am now moving the process forward to get Kerry Anderson's approval (and artwork) to get started and create a Vassal module for this fantastic game. I imagine that with life/work etc it'd take just a few weeks to get a module done for fans of the game and Joe Miranda's brilliant "command staff engine".

I will post progress and news as soon as I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Vassal module possible
Thanks David.

You probably know that there is a Vassal module for Bulge 20, the original staff card system game, though I made a lot of changes to it for the Scheldt game.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Bulge_20

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Transgender pride | Unconditional love, pride, and support | LGBTQ Ally | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
Microbadge: Power Grid fanMicrobadge: Troyes fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: Modern Art fanMicrobadge: Tigris & Euphrates fan
No word back yet from Kerry. Fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have heard form him by now.
Kerry's always good about VASSAL modules if the original designer has given his permission.
Just be sure to credit Kerry for his very good artwork and graphics!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
ltmurnau wrote:
I think you have heard form him by now.
Kerry's always good about VASSAL modules if the original designer has given his permission.
Just be sure to credit Kerry for his very good artwork and graphics!

Brian
Will do, just got word from Kerry who said if it's alright with you, it's alright with him. I'll let him know what graphics files I need and I'll get started this weekend.

Update. I am in the process of asking for the various art files I need for the module (map, player aids, counter sheet, cards), and will get started as soon as they arrive. I will post my progress in this thread to keep everyone updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Re: Vassal module -- in progress
End of day 1.

Art assets have been received, and I'm starting to create the various bits for the module. Those include: map (with a slight change to layout to accommodate the cards on the battle mat areas better), counters (with beveled edges), cards, and charts and tables. I should have all this done by the end of day tomorrow and started into the module work. I plan on creating the module to be able to play Allied, German and solo, and allow for both the historical set up and optional set ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
End of day 2 of development.

Got lots finished. All the counters and cards are in. The player OOBs and private hand (windows) with automatic card counts are also in. Charts are all in and all menu functions added. I need to complete the icons for the menus, and get the two set ups ready (the button that currently says Setup Counters), and it'll be very close to being complete.

I'm making it a pretty non-automated module ... you drag a staff card from the pile to your hand, and then select a specific card to draw from your hand (number based on C2 level) to drag on to the board. Cards can then be discarded back to their starting pile with a right click. I have added some nice movement trails in national colours on the pieces as well. The visible pieces palette may be hidden in the final module since I will provide full game set ups with correct counters.

Getting close. Working more tonight on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good David!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Thanks.

End of day 3 of development and done.

All finished but a question for the fans of the game ... do you want me to restrict your opponent from moving your pieces on the board or not? I can lock the units and TF (HQ pieces) down so that the German player can't move the Allied player's and vice versa (Solo obviously has access to everything), or does anyone really care?

Otherwise, ready to release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If your opponent makes a habit of moving your pieces while it's his turn, you should get a different opponent.

Thanks David!
How does one handle the Hit markers during play?
(I'm not experienced with VASSAL at all)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
ltmurnau wrote:
If your opponent makes a habit of moving your pieces while it's his turn, you should get a different opponent.

Thanks David!
How does one handle the Hit markers during play?
(I'm not experienced with VASSAL at all)

Brian
I had originally used the counters (-1 to -7) and had a right-click command to add one (above) a player's unit. These markers also were simple to increase or decrease using the up/down arrows. But the issue with that solution is when you were transferring units back to the OOB, or battle mat, or moving them on the map, you had to make sure to bring that extra counter along with them.

Since I'd automated the "move to" work for some of those moves, I thought a better way might be to have the user simply apply a text label (red text on white) on the unit piece (again, a simple right-click and select "Add # hits to unit") so that they are easy to modify and stay with the unit wherever they move.

You can see an example of this solution on the unit in 0309 at the start of the historical scenario (the German 1039 infantry) in the image above if you zoom in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Version 1.0 is now online ... http://bit.ly/1HQ7uP5.

Any issues, please let me know if this thread and I'll attend to them as time permits.

Thanks to Brian and Kerry for the amazing game, and permission to provide a Vassal module for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb