Subject: When you're the ghost, do you look at the table? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I played my first game of this last night and greatly enjoyed it. I had to pick the ghost, of course, as only I really knew the rules. But one thing that's "interesting" about the rules is that they leave out quite a bit. I feel like they're letting you play the game how you want to play it. Or maybe I'm misreading. This leads me to ask how people are playing a few things.

Do you (as ghost) ever look at any of the people/locations/objects cards on the table? I did, and it helped me avoid giving confusing visions that might apply to more than one card. But later it struck me that maybe the ghost should only look at the cards in the screen.

I feel like this would bring in some fogginess that might be entertaining (if you sometimes find frustration entertaining, which you should if you're playing this game!) Especially since the card versions that go behind the screen are smaller, leading to the ghost sometimes missing details that the psychics see. I'm thinking if you want to go really hardcore, during manifestation you ask the psychics to hold up the card and ask something like, "Oh spirit, is this place this vision points to?" The ghost would get to see what the cards were that were wrong guesses, and would get to hear the psychics discussing the cards, but it would be through a mirror darkly.

I'm also wondering if people are passing out the vision cards face up one psychic at a time, or if they pass each psychic face down cards, draw, then the next, etc. and have them all turn over at once before flipping the timer? We did it the face down way so that everyone had equal time. But I can see doing it the other way. You might want to give a certain psychic their vision first so the others could talk about it with her. In general, it gives them all more time to talk without lengthening the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Petersen
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
What are those!
badge
このていどだな、ね?
Microbadge: Conan fanMicrobadge: Inis fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter - I like OrangeMicrobadge: Roll for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: It was for this that I was born.
I played as ghost and did not look at the table. I thought the confusion was a great effect.

My wife was ghost and kept looking at the table and at one point gave away a clue by picking up a card from the table to look at it closer.

I like not looking at the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I Covet More Dark Stone!Microbadge: Shadowrun: Crossfire fan - MageMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fan
It's all a lot to keep track of, especially if you're running six players or so. Trying to keep track of every card on the table, every card that may be relevant in a future round, etc is too much for me, personally. I just see if I can give a decent clue to one, hopefully get a new card that helps for the next, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've been the ghost several times now and I find I am trying to keep things moving so I really am just studying my cards.

And because I've been teaching in nearly every instance I am usually talking more time than I would prefer.

I always handed out the cards and let them jump right into that first one or more and I flip the timer when I hand out the last set. I think this really helps with the down time. If no one looked at their cards until I handed out the last set I don't think everyone would even have a chance to examine all of the cards, particularly in the higher player counts. As it was, I usually got a comment if I handed the same player their cards last twice in a row. That sand goes pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Android userMicrobadge: Red and White Ribbon (Lymphoma/Lymphadema Awareness)Microbadge: New Mexico State UniversityMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!Microbadge: Linux user
In the rules, it implies that the ghost doesn't get to look at the other cards.

In the setup it says for the ghost to randomly assign the one person/place/thing combo to each investigator and return the unassigned cards to the box without looking at them.

To me, if the ghost isn't allowed to look at the unassigned cards, they're implying that the ghost isn't supposed to look at their unassigned duplicates on the table either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!
If you're not allowed to look at the cards, how to you verify that the investigators chose correctly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Android userMicrobadge: Red and White Ribbon (Lymphoma/Lymphadema Awareness)Microbadge: New Mexico State UniversityMicrobadge: Elder Sign Protected!Microbadge: Linux user
Arcadious wrote:
If you're not allowed to look at the cards, how to you verify that the investigators chose correctly?
Try not to look too hard. A quick glance should tell you if they're right, since you already know the right answer.

I think the intent is for the ghost to figure out the other cards (or at least what to avoid in the other cards) from the investigator talk rather than by inspecting the cards themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!Microbadge: Trains!
rvinyard wrote:
Arcadious wrote:
Try not to look too hard. A quick glance should tell you if they're right, since you already know the right answer.

I think the intent is for the ghost to figure out the other cards (or at least what to avoid in the other cards) from the investigator talk rather than by inspecting the cards themselves.
But that's the problem, I've already looked at most of the cards closely, so if I just glance at them, I will be able to recall quite a few details from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Microbadge: Level 17 BGG posterMicrobadge: Louisiana State UniversityMicrobadge: Low Player Count: a podcast about games for 1-2 playersMicrobadge: The Colonists (Die Kolonisten) fanMicrobadge: Musician
Looking at the table: yes. I'll pick one I think works for that person then glance at the table to see if there's anything misleading then pass them their vision.

Handing out cards: the timer is the worst thing about this version of the game. It's cooperative. The whole point is to communicate and work together. Putting a timer on it really dumps on that aspect of the game. I hand them their cards face down, but that's so the psychic who receives it can have a chance to look at it on their own and formulate ideas before an alpha starts declaring what they think is right. This can lead to the primacy effect and wrong answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Arcadious wrote:
rvinyard wrote:
Arcadious wrote:

But that's the problem, I've already looked at most of the cards closely, so if I just glance at them, I will be able to recall quite a few details from them.
The players could tell you the card number of their guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
rvinyard wrote:
This occurred to me, but it seems so incredibly anti-thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
jepmn wrote:
rvinyard wrote:
This occurred to me, but it seems so incredibly anti-thematic.
I would only do that if you think that scanning the table would tip you off as to the other cards and you would remember details that would materially alter the game's fun level.

I haven't looked through the decks, so I don't know what might come out on the table for the psychics.

I also try and look at only the card that is under their crystal ball.

So far, I don't think I've gotten clues to the other cards from scanning to tell them if the card is right or wrong, but I have gotten clues by listening to the psychic discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Albuquerque
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Also, for anyone interested the BGG Store just posted the Mysterium Promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Garcia
Portugal
Tomar
Lisboa
flag msg tools
designer
I am addicted to Game Design!
badge
Time flies when designing games!
Microbadge: Grupo de Boardgamers de Lisboa memberMicrobadge: Will work for board gamesMicrobadge: Dilluvia Project fanMicrobadge: Constantly thinking about game designMicrobadge: I'm a Geek And Proud of It!
Hello,

Actually the ghost can look at the cards laying on the table. He may not take them into his hand thus: if he does the psychics will know that this card is not assigned to anyone. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rvinyard wrote:
Also, for anyone interested the BGG Store just posted the Mysterium Promos.
Thanks for the heads up Rick!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Immaterial wrote:
Actually the ghost can look at the cards laying on the table. He may not take them into his hand thus: if he does the psychics will know that this card is not assigned to anyone. meeple
Right, I know the ghost CAN look at them, I'm just asking people how they play it, as this can be a game you can really play with to fit your group's idea of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Gerard
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
jepmn wrote:
Do you (as ghost) ever look at any of the people/locations/objects cards on the table?
No, but it doesn't make much of a difference except for the very first vision. Once everyone is talking, I know what cards they have. They need only mention one of the red-herrings once and I know they have it unless they use nothing but pronouns. We've played enough that I know most of the content of every card.

Furthermore, nearly every vision card points to many of the solution cards. If you only give one card, the psychics can narrow it down but will most likely still have to guess between a couple of the cards. That's why you try to give more than one vision card. One cards points to A and B; a second card points to B and C. Must be B then. In the same way, you can protect yourself from the red-herrings that you don't know about just by giving extra clues. Sometimes you don't have 2 or 3 vision cards that will work and then you make do with what you have and can't defend against the wrong interpretations whether you know about the red-herrings or not.

jepmn wrote:
I'm also wondering if people are passing out the vision cards face up one psychic at a time, or if they pass each psychic face down cards, draw, then the next, etc. and have them all turn over at once before flipping the timer?
The rules say face up. We never considered doing it any other way. When teaching it, we tell new people to let each psychic form a first opinion about their own vision before tossing in their 2 cents. And each psychic asks for input from the others when they are ready for it before making a final decision. This way we avoid the Alpha player problem but still have a cooperative effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls