Antonio Guerra Gerdel
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
~Best for Business~
mbmbmbmbmb
When I originally reviewed Fleet a while ago, I thought that it was one heck of a great game to play with my group. A theme that involves fishing is something that not many games have. I mean, there might be a action that allows you to fish but I mean as a theme itself surrounded by just fishing is something to be explored. Fleet is a perfect little card game that needed to be expanded. And thus, we have this wonderful expansion.

Arctic Bounty continues our adventures within Ridback Bay with even more animals appearing deep within the bay. Now you can mix and match all the fish from Fleet and have one epic fishing experience! While you could just put everything together, it's best to remove some cards from the original game and add in the new cards from this expansion. Overall, I'm here to explain the new cards and everything in between when it comes to this wonderful expansion!!!

I heard again that Long John Silver was around here somewhere. Waiting.

Fleet: Arctic Bounty
Eagle-Gryphone Games
Released: 2014
1-6 Players
Auction/Hand Management
~30-40 Minutes
Expansion

Components

Once again, Arctic Bounty continues the trend from Fleet and having such amazing artwork on the cards. While normally I'll just explain what's in the box, since we are dealing with the expansion to the base game, I'm going to describe all the cards to help you have a better understanding on what's inside this lovely expansion! We now have 64 new boat cards added to the game, 16 each for the four new types of licenses for the game. Let's go take a look.

Swordfish License - The swordfish license allows you to launch swordfish boats and may take a boat card instead of a crate, allowing for some interesting gameplay changes.
Pacific Oyster License - This will allow you to launch pacific oyster boats and it maximizes how many crates you can take on your oyster boats and how many you can hold.
Char License - This will allow you to launch char boats. With these licenses, you can get free captains, as in drawing from the main deck instead of using a card in your hand, a discount on launching boats and gaining a card if you launched.
Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans Licenses (DFO) - These licenses allows you to launch the DFO boats. While the DFO boats already has a captain on it, you can also take three fishing crates from other players! This will allow players to start really attacking others when it comes to crates, plus they are worth more victory points at the end of the game if you have more DFO licenses.
Marina License - These licenses allows for a player to "captain" this card and score the victory points on the card at the end of the game. You can place three captains under this license and score those victory points without having to launch them!
Tug Boats - These boats allows for players to draw cards from the main deck and placing them face down in front of the boats, allow you to pick them up any time during the game. Once you do, the card is discarded.
Artisan Fishman - Not only counted as captains, but they can also catch fish without the need of a boat! However, you can only carry one crate with these guys but they are worth bonus victory points with the other licenses you may have.
Gone Fishin' - These cards are worth victory points at the end of the game, but you can discard it to gain two coins worth to purchase a license or launch a boat.
Crewman - These are special cards that act as the other cards from the game, without actually having that card in play! So in a way, you got an extra card without ever drawing it and buying it!

Along with these new cards, you also have even more crates to add to the game, making the game up to 6 players! That's madness I tell you! But, this is nice because the game continues to be quick once everyone understands how the game is played. And, we even have a two player and solo player variant of the game so you can try the game solo or go it with two players. The game pretty much expands the base game by adding new things!

More Fish!!!

Any great expansion should at least either fix a few issues from the base game and add more to the base game. While my group isn't that big, the ability to just add all the boat cards and licenses makes for one interesting game! We continue to really love the game because of the wonderful artwork and easy to play mechanics of the game. We still have the same game but now, we have more cards to mix around so we can continue to have fun! An expansions job is to expand on a game and Arctic Bounty expands on an already great game and make it that much more fun! If this is the last expansion to Fleet, then this is one heck of an expansion to have! You have more of everything and I think that's more then anyone can really ask for in this day and age. My group continues to really like this game and adding more just pushes it over the top! I remember when I first introduced Fleet to my group and they fell in love with the game. Now with the expansion, it just adds more fun. With even more cards and more crates, more players can enjoy the game and just have a big stack of cards on the table! That's a pretty big stack of boats to try and launch!

Final Verdict

When we first played Fleet, we love the simple gameplay that we continued to play over and over again. Arctic Bounty adds more to an already great game and many should go out and try to get their hands on this expansion. The fact that you can mix the licenses with the new ones and add more boats is something that just makes the game more fun, without making it too long of a game. It still remains a great filler and can knock it out of the park without trying. It's a must get for me and a must buy for all of you if you really love Fleet!

Overall, I give Fleet: Arctic Bounty a solid nine and a half out of ten, showing that expansions can add to a game and make it that much more fun for everyone. Just watch out for those who have the DFO License, cause your crates will start disappearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge