28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game to convert my non gamer husband? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janette Lynch
msg tools
Hi all, I'm looking to pick up a couple of two player games for myself and my husband to play together when the kids go to bed. He works longish hours but at the weekends I've been trying to get him to play some more 'complicated' games than those which we play with the kids.

So far we have played Splendor and Isle of Trains both of which he has enjoyed but I'd like to add two or three more for Christmas. Something that's not too much of a brain burner eg Twilight Struggle.

To give you an idea, with the kids he loves Coloretto, UGO and Little Prince Make me a Planet. So maybe something along the lines of these but an adult version.

Not looking to spend a huge amount of money so under €20 per game would be ideal. I had thought of Tides of Time, or 7 Wonders Duel. 7 Womders Duel a little expensive. I can buy from Amazon.de if that helps with recommendations.
Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: The Knife fanMicrobadge: Yasujirou Ozu fanMicrobadge: You've been CakedMicrobadge: K Records FanMicrobadge: Feminism
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small and Patchwork are both pretty great "evening with the spouse" games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My standard recommendations for things like this is what I play with my mom, so:
Patchwork (2-player tile-laying)
Jaipur (2-player set collection)
Splendor (2-4 players so you could also play with the kids)

All of them are simple to teach and play, but have enough going on in them that they're interesting, and have light themes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7 wonders duel is excellent. 4 plays in and loving it. It has a lot of iconography but you'll soon pick it up.

Targi is pretty cool as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are his favorite hobbies, TV-shows or movies, or other interests?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 2 you mentioned, I've only played Tides of Time and it's a fun and quick filler. The games below are good 2-player games and all of them are available from Amazon.de as well:

Patchwork
Battle Line
Lost Cities
The Duke
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small I also have been on a mission to collect Kosmos 2 player games. Ones that my wife enjoys are Balloon Cup, Hera and Zeus, and Jambo.

Star Realms is a good, inexpensive one. If you want something a bit more complex you could give Race for the Galaxy a shot. My wife enjoys the game, but much like The Castles of Burgundy we don't play often enough to remember all the iconography.

Then a game that everyone I have introduced it to has enjoyed is Dominion

That is probably a lot more options than you might have been expecting, but I'm in a similar situation with my wife. One thing I would recommend is pick 1 or 2 and stick with those for a while. I ended up with a bunch of games and kept pulling out new ones and my wife got so burnt out on new games that she wouldn't even play the ones she liked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
Jaipur seems like a good bet - I like the price point €13 from Amazon.de

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a little bit more than I was hoping to spend on a two player although I like the look of it myself.

Looking into some of the Kosmos line and The Rose King looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janette Lynch
msg tools
I love the look of Patchwork but can't seem to get it without huge delivery fees. Pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kodeski
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few my man-spouse and I enjoy.

If card games are an option:

Sky Tango - great for two
Beasty Bar - better with more, but still fun for two

We also enjoy, and play pretty often with just the two of us:

Rattus
Thurn and Taxis
Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All about family wrote:
Jaipur seems like a good bet - I like the price point €13 from Amazon.de

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a little bit more than I was hoping to spend on a two player although I like the look of it myself.

Looking into some of the Kosmos line and The Rose King looks interesting.
While being a nice game Jaipur isn´t really much more "complicated" than Coloretto, if it´s that what you are looking for. Still recommended though.

Rosenkönig is a great game, just be aware, that it has a bit of an abstract feel to it.

+1 Targi, feels more "grown up" than most other games in the Kosmos 2player line.

I´d also like to suggest Alhambra. It´s whithin your price range and plays well as a 2p game, but could also be played with your children.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All about family wrote:
Hi all, I'm looking to pick up a couple of two player games for myself and my husband to play together when the kids go to bed. He works longish hours but at the weekends I've been trying to get him to play some more 'complicated' games than those which we play with the kids.
I suggest it better not to focus on 2-player games and look for other medium games that do work well with 2 players.

I expect most of the Carcassonne series to fit, although I have no knowedge of the Gold Rush version already in your collection. Perhaps, too, Cartagena which you own.

Seeland, which comes in a bigger box has been almost exclusively played by 2 in my household. A friendly competition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
Microbadge: ShamanismMicrobadge: I drop the F-bombMicrobadge: Mark of the DamnedMicrobadge: Dune fanMicrobadge: Neon Genesis Evangelion fan
Hive is a fast little abstract that is a nice warm-up or cool-down before/after something heavier.

Imperial Settlers is a nice design, and great with 2… could probably work the kids into the game down the road, the art is very family friendly.

Ginkgopolis is a really great game, and it's very solid at two. It's abstract, but the art and design is very superb and make it a nice way to spend time playing a game. It's meatier than Carcassonne, but the payoff is greater, as well!

Gink is tougher to come by in the US, but since you're speaking in Euro, I suspect you could probably scout out a 2nd hand copy quite readily, which are relatively cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I love Puerto Rico and it's super easy to convert to two players. Casual, quick, and fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Original Trilogy fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Fallout fan
+1 Jaipur
+1 Targi
+1 Dominion (although probably too expensive, but the replay value is great, so it's worth mentioning)
+1 Alhambra
+1 Battle Line

Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy is a fantastic game, but probably too heavy in this case. Same applies to Puerto Rico.

Takenoko

2-4 players (competitive)
Fantastic components
Great step up from light games
Excellent family game (so the kids can join you in the future)
Nice relaxing game atmosphere, thanks to the great components and cute theme
E The only negative I could think of here is that the price is probably too high. Can't recommend this game enough in your special case, as it plays very well with just 2, has a nice light-hearted atmosphere and will also very likely be a game for your children later on. It's the game I can still bring to the table and enjoy after a long day, as the rules are easy and decision-making is on-turn tactical without the need to plan turns ahead.

San Juan (Second Edition)

Easy to learn, hard to master
Room for different strategies
Low price
E Get this instead of Race for the Galaxy. They are very similar, but you won't scare your husband because of Race for Galaxy's iconography. Make sure to get the second edition.

Elder Sign

1-8 players (cooperative)
Easy rules
Fantastic components
Strong theme
Good replay value (lots of encounters, investigators, items, ect.)
E This game looks super complicated at first, but it's really easy to learn and play because everything is solved by rolling dice. It lacks a bit of player interaction, but you will still play and make plans together. This is by far the most thematic game on this list. If you like the base game, definitely get the expansion Elder Sign: Gates of Arkham.

Valley of the Kings

Easy rules
Low price
Good replay value
E If Dominion is too expensive, give Valley of the Kings a try. It's also a deckbuilder, very compact and brings some nice new ideas to the genre.

Good luck and have fun !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If we own Puerto Rico do we need San Juan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Mass Effect fanMicrobadge: Star Wars: Original Trilogy fanMicrobadge: Batman fanMicrobadge: "Make It So!" - Captain Jean Luc PicardMicrobadge: Fallout fan
ReluctantFr0g wrote:
If we own Puerto Rico do we need San Juan?
If you are a big fan of Puerto Rico, I would say: yes. San Juan is in comparison more compact and streamlined, thus plays faster and demands less time. It's also very portable (the first edition fits in a single deck protector box) and offers a really great depth and replay value, especially considering the low amount of components (mainly a stack of cards). If you are coming from Puerto Rico, it will feel very familiar, yet different and in my opinion interesting enough to own both. So, again: yes, if you are a big fan of Puerto Rico.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Port Royal works well for 2, even though a bit better with more, and I see it on Amazon.de for about €10.

For something very quick-playing Limes is nice. Very much multiplayer-solitaire (no interaction, you both try to do better getting the same tiles), which may (or may not) be a problem for you. The price is about €13. A bit on the light side but there are the Pro rules from the BGG page to get it more complex.

Also +1 on Star Realms (€15) and Hive Pocket (€14) for something quite cheap and has relatively a lot of game in it (both have digital free versions which are a little limited but can let you get a good feel for the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about his interests, but here are a few that work really well with 2P.

Mr. Jack- 2 P deduction game
Stockpile- Plays 2-5, stock trading, very simple to learn has loads of fun and plays surprisingly well as a 2P game
Star Realms- 2P deck building game, takes about 20 min, lots of tactical depth and very very inexpensive ~$10-$15
Mykerinos- Highly under-rated, but a great game that plays under an hour and plays 2-4...great as a 2P game as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play a lot of two player and I agree with the above suggestions of patchwork, jaipur, mr jack, lost cities, castles of burgundy(for something heavier).

Other options are:

Morels
Biblios
Red7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Davidsonville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played Ingenious, Dominion, and Evolution last night. I recommend all three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
caner özyurtlu
Turkey
İstanbul
Kadikoy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Qwixx
Welcome to the dungeon
The Game (maybe its nice to start with a co-op)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Catan.

Pretty simple and good interaction with multiple players. If it's just you and your husband try to invite another couple over so you have 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Mykerinos and Ginkgopolis

Great with 2p and good replay value:

Thebes
Dos Rios *
Ingenious
Tobago

* underrated game and inexpensive used

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms is only $20 and a BLAST to play. Can be played over and over again. Great space battle card game. Easy to learn. He will love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |