BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games Similar to Oregon rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hibbard

Middletown
Ohio
msg tools
I had the chance to play Oregon recently and I really enjoyed it. Aside from there being a re-print (that sounds unlikely), I don't think I will ever get the chance to own my own copy.

So, are there any games similar to Oregon that I might be able to look into? Some of the things I liked about Oregon:

-Placing things on certain spots on a grid, depending on what cards you have (wouldn't have to be card based)
-Using things on the board that someone else may have played for your own benefit

Livingstone was suggested on Amazon when I looked up Oregon. Does anyone know anything about that game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I Covet More Dark Stone!Microbadge: Shadowrun: Crossfire fan - MageMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fan
Cacao has that similar thing of when you place a tile, someone else may benefit from it also, though it's less obtuse than Oregon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I CompostMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Rank 1 vs 100 is all the same, out of tens of thousandsMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
hibbarda wrote:
-Placing things on certain spots on a grid, depending on what cards you have (wouldn't have to be card based)
-Using things on the board that someone else may have played for your own benefit
Far from being an exact match in mechanisms, yet I think you might pursue Seeland for placing items onto the board and maybe sharing some of the bounty with an opponent.

Another game of longer heritage and short availablilty right now would be Manhattan, which uses cards for placement and lets you "top" your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I CompostMicrobadge: Game ExplainerMicrobadge: Plays Games With FamilyMicrobadge: Rank 1 vs 100 is all the same, out of tens of thousandsMicrobadge: Golden Image Uploader
hibbarda wrote:
Aside from there being a re-print (that sounds unlikely), I don't think I will ever get the chance to own my own copy.
Several "chances" are available in the BGG marketplace right now. Even if you might be resisting based on price, the length of time some have been sitting there might make the owners more open to other offers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2019Microbadge: The Chosen One - A Chain of Generosity winnerMicrobadge: Thumbs up for the 2018 Geek Supporter Drive Rummage-O-RamaMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
So I know this doesn't actually answer your question, but as someone who owns Oregon, loves Oregon, and owns 300+ games and has been exposed to probably thousands of games at this point, I'd daresay that if you really enjoyed Oregon, just go ahead and buy Oregon. I can't think of a game that really uses similar mechanics, it's sort of its own unique little snowflake.

Also, while it is currently OOP, I don't think demand for it is high enough that its prices are out-of-whack with other games. For example, as of this posting Amazon has one for $39.95 plus $5.99 shipping, albeit from a new store. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0011X523U/ref=dp_olp...)

Not sure where you live, but there are a large number of copies in different countries in the BGG marketplace for less than $50.

Spielboy shows it going for less than $40 regularly on BGG auctions.

So honestly, rather than try out different games that may be slightly cheaper or easier to get in the hopes that one scratches the itch, I'd say go ahead and track down a copy of Oregon. I don't think you'll regret it.

If the amazon or bgg marketplace listings seem a little high and you are more patient, find one of the sites that crawls the BGG auctions for you, set an alert, and then just monitor whenever one is available on auction. For example, http://bggauctions.workingasintended.com/auctions

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Play some games at least
badge
Support BGG
Microbadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 15 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: 2020 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Parent of a transgender child
hibbarda wrote:
Aside from there being a re-print (that sounds unlikely), I don't think I will ever get the chance to own my own copy.
There are 13 copies in the marketplace, and 98 users trading their copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
Microbadge: Arkham Horror fanMicrobadge: Shadows over Camelot fanMicrobadge: D&D fan - Basic EditionsMicrobadge: I am a Boss MonsterMicrobadge: Marvel Heroes fan
It's snowing and I'm in an odd mood.. so here's my list:

Texas

Ohio

New York

Nebraska

Montana

Iowa

Hawaii

Florida

Colorado

California

Alaska

They're all games named after states, just like Oregon, right? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Gloom of Kilforth: A Fantasy Quest Game fanMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: 1565, St. Elmo's Pay fanMicrobadge: Parent of Three GirlsMicrobadge: 1066, Tears to Many Mothers fan
Given it was one of the games in the first wave of Works offerings, it's likely to be found for cheaper than many other OOP games. Although you may have to be in the UK for it to help much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Winner of a Century Event at WBCMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector
I recently snagged a new in shrink copy from eBay for $35 shipped (actually $25 as I had a $10 off coupon).

Keep looking and you'll get a copy at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Jack Vasel Memorial Fund auction participant - 2019Microbadge: The Chosen One - A Chain of Generosity winnerMicrobadge: Thumbs up for the 2018 Geek Supporter Drive Rummage-O-RamaMicrobadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
If you're still following this thread, OP, check out:

Item for Geeklist "CLOSED - Refugee Aid Auction, ending Thanksgiving Day -- for Charity"

No bid on it yet, starting bid is $10, proceeds go to charity. Flat shipping of $10.

May be a good chance to get your hands on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls