United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you/Could you theoretically play through the entire "year" in, say, 4 hyper-focused sessions of 4 to 6 hours each, spread out over a long weekend?

I'm thinking about the context of running it as an "event" at a weekend con, for example, but giving players the opportunity to experience the rest of the convention, and also sleep/bathe/eat.

My basic questions are:
a) Is it realistically "finishable" in that time?
and
b) Considering the average gamer, would you be burned out by playing it in such rapid succession?
Is it better to savor the experience and spread it out over weeks/months?

Has anyone done this, completing it quickly?

No spoilers, please! I'm just trying to get a general feel for whether one should attempt this feat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In each of our sessions we have played 3-4 games in a row and we are definitely enjoying it a lot. It is perfectly doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut feel is "Yes" but I think you'd have to have 4 players who were all familiar with the Pandemic rules.
Theoretically, you'd have a maximum of 24 games at 1 hour each, so over a four day convention, 6 hours per day should be reasonable.

The players would be the key.

The only thing that worries me for a convention environment, is the massive spoiler effect that will happen with an audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strategically, I would spread it out if you want to have a good record.

There were 8 in my local group playing Legacy, one finished it in a calendar week, with a record of 12-8. 2 to 3 months per session. 4 - 5 hours per session.

In our, our games started short and then got pretty long, about 90 minutes in the later months plus another 15 minutes for upgrade discussion. We are currently 10-1
Spoiler (click to reveal)
[Augustshake ] I think if you can get through July and August without a loss you have a good chance to go undefeated
and have been playing 2 games every Tuesday and Thursday. We will be finishing this Thursday.

I recommend taking your time. It is more enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Martin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is another note on "shotgunning" the campaign.

Our group observed that when we stopped after a major rule change we tended to perform better. Taking a break gave us time to think about the change and ways to play around it efficiently and use the change to our advantage.

I think our end game would have been significantly worse if we hadn't stopped after a few key moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright.. sounds like there are a bunch of reasons why this isn't the greatest idea.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm currently halfway through the year, been using two characters as a solo player and it goes quickly. I plan to finish it this weekend if I don't by friday night.

So I'd say, absolutely you can do it.

And if you didn't feel you savored it enough, buy the other color box and try again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished a 2 player game on Wednesday - each game was about 90 minutes. Two losses, 14 games, that was 21 hours total play time. A "normal" time frame is listed as 60 minutes, so that is 12-24 hours of play.

So, yeah, you can marathon it over a weekend if everyone can keep focused. My wife and I did it over a month (Started Oct 9, finished Nov 4; played one practice game for 15 total games) and I'm glad for the breaks, but glad it didn't go much longer. Worth the play, but I really just want to get back to regular board games now. (I also binge watch TV shows... on Season 5 of X-files on Netflix.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls