Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike A
United States
Hensley
AR - Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

We have the original game of Power Grid. After approximately 10 plays we are looking for a new map. What do people suggest and why? thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much any of them. I've tried most and haven't found a bad one yet.

China is fun for a few plays because it's ordered power plant market is so different, but it also has less replay value than most.

France/Italy have interesting maps but few real rule changes.

The rest kind of blur together to me, but I've enjoyed them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Black & white film fanMicrobadge: Glass Road fanMicrobadge: I've visited all 48 contiguous US statesMicrobadge: Power Grid World Tour: I've Played All The MapsMicrobadge: Age of steam fan
foolinjected101 wrote:

We have the original game of Power Grid. After approximately 10 plays we are looking for a new map. What do people suggest and why? thanks
You might want to avoid India and Australia as they are significantly different than the others. France and Italy are good choices as they come with a map expansion box (at least they used to) and are similar to the base game except for geography issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you tend to play with new people each time, or want a quicker game, the Benelux map is great. The Power Plant market moves faster and the connections are cheap causing the game to go faster without sacrificing much. Also, the rules aren't too different from regular Power Grid so it is easy for new people to pick up. I have yet to do the flipside of the map (Central Europe) but I'm sure that is a good map too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I speak EsperantoMicrobadge: Fyodor Dostoyevsky fanMicrobadge: Jorge Luis Borges fanMicrobadge: Gene Wolfe fanMicrobadge: Vegan
foolinjected101 wrote:
we are looking for a new map. What do people suggest and why?
Whichever one sounds most interesting to your group so that it will be played more often. E.g. if some of you are interested in Japan, get that one. They're all fine, play-wise! They all have various specific little (or big) changes to the rules. If you have some preferences about that, you should probably just read their descriptions to see if one sounds appealing, e.g. the 2 markets of Korea, or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Gilutin
United States
Alhambra
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You really can't go wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Potter
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really enjoyed the Korea map due to the dual markets. But I agree with the above poster that the China map has limited replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Vive la France!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
Microbadge: International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against WomenMicrobadge: If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinkingMicrobadge: 2019 Secret Gelato participantMicrobadge: Love Spreader of the WeekMicrobadge: The Fantasy Trip RPG fan
I've played all of them except the Benelux map. My personal favorites are India and northern Europe. The Korean map is also really intriguing because of the split resources market.

I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the expansion maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Australia and India are the two with the biggest tweaks to the base rules, apart from that as Russ said, pick one(s) that interest you. The descriptions for each map here should tell you what the differences from the base game are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm mildly surprised at your request after only 10 plays. But I finally got to the point of going for new maps too.
MrFettuccine wrote:
If you tend to play with new people each time, or want a quicker game, the Benelux map is great. The Power Plant market moves faster and the connections are cheap causing the game to go faster without sacrificing much. Also, the rules aren't too different from regular Power Grid so it is easy for new people to pick up. I have yet to do the flipside of the map (Central Europe) but I'm sure that is a good map too.
Benelux/Central Europe is the first expansion map I purchased, as I had read exactly what MrFettuccine stated above. However, the Benelux game just felt very rushed to me. I like the map, but I'm not sure how I felt about the altered rules. I'm looking forward to playing the flip side--Central Europe. Honestly, most of the maps strike me as just another map (minus a few) with some altered gameplay & market replenish rates. If you just want a change of scenery, it seems to me that most any map will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rih Ile
msg tools
My own rank
China- new dimension of auction
Benelux - Fast play
Korea - permanent shortage
Quebec - strange

(and a new plant deck)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
China/Korea are two good maps with significant and interesting rules changes. China games tend to last longer though.
I've played plenty of other maps (Italy, Benelux, Central Europe, UK, Scandinavia). These have smaller rules changes and thus feel less different, just a change of scenery.
I haven't played the others, but I think I agree with those who said that you can't really go wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the guys telling you that "you really can't go wrong". I own all the maps and played everyone at least once.
Anyway, it's hard to give an advice without some more details about you and your group.
If you really like the game as it is (with the base maps) and plan to get more than one single additional map, I'd simply go map by map in publishing order: it's an interesting path (which I personally made step by step)...
If you DON'T, I'd suggest China/Korea as best single buy and India/Australia as most "revolutionary" addition. The only map expansion I'm not particularly fond of is Benelux/C.Europe: too easy. Of course it may be useful for some people, typically for novice gamers or for faster games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

France/Italy: Closest to original. France makes early nuke strategy viable; Italy has heavy resource shortage in coal/oil and makes early garbage viable.

Benelux/Central Europe: Benelux accelerates game; Central Europe adds better nukes, a garbage discount in Wein, and has a great all-around balance (IMO).

China/Korea: China is a brutal auction with sequential plants and a ridiculously tight resource market. Korea has the split-market, which can cause shortages (though my group's grooupthink tends to play around that problem).

India/Australia: India is a brutal experience with power blackouts cutting into money and has a runaway leader problem. Australia adds Uranium Mines which can provide some extra capital (also you'll actually have to calculate the final turn payments because of them to see who won). Australia also has a teleport mechanic that makes erecting expensive blockades ineffective.

Japan/Russia: Russia has a six plant market and no plant scrapping. Japan is a tight map introducing "15/20" cities and forced starting locations (you can have two networks but can only start in two different places).

U.K. & Ireland / Northern Europe: UK has a double network with a single expensive jump and different sized regions. Northern Europe adds replacement plants that change the resource market a surprising amount.

Quebec/Baden-Wurtemburg: Quebec is a tough map with lots of early wind plants. The 33 and 37 don't flip under which starts pushing good plants into the current market. Baden changes turn order after the AUCTION phase which brings a whole new element. It also has 15/20 "external" cities and tends to finish in Step 2 a lot.

Brazil/Spain & Portugal: Brazil is a mega resource shortage with expensive connections -- very brutal. Spain throws the 18/22/27 out at the start of Step 2 which guarantees a midgame stall; I don't care for that map.

Power Grid Deluxe: North America / Europe. (Standalone game, not an expansion) North America has a cool auction mechanic: the low plant gets a "1" token for its minimum bid. It is blown up if no one buys it, but stays in the market if a lower plant comes out. So you can have weirdness like the #35 having a minimum bid of 1 in Step 3. Europe has a slightly larger future market. The connections on both maps are quite expensive but they have 7 regions instead of 6 for more variability and introduce an initial variable setup where you pick 8 random plants from 03-15. One side has a steep drop in the oil market in Step 2, then it rebounds. Also it has dark backed low plant cards so you can "see" if a good or bad plant is coming up next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By coincidence played Brazil last night (3P).

Bulk of the coastal connections are CHEAP, so lots of knocking into each others empires trying to grab as much coastal as possible as quickly as possible (but of course you don't want to end up as "the Best" come Phase I of next turn).

Oddly-Step 3 card came down before we hit Step 2-so it was a free-for-all on coastal stuff. The more expensive inland areas were the zones in which the final rounds of the game were fought.

One or two other points of Brazil - in all 3 Steps, Uranium replinishes at ONE (1). So the only player who ever bought a nuclear plant kept purchasing the same priced uranium turn after turn (her power plant only required one Thorium-258).

Any plant requiring 2 or more? 2 (or more) players wanting to get into nukes? And its a real conundrum (game only starts with 2 uranium-and lets face facts, especially in early game, $14 and $16 nukes are simply too expensive....

alexdrazen wrote:

France/Italy: Closest to original. France makes early nuke strategy viable; Italy has heavy resource shortage in coal/oil and makes early garbage viable.

Benelux/Central Europe: Benelux accelerates game; Central Europe adds better nukes, a garbage discount in Wein, and has a great all-around balance (IMO).

China/Korea: China is a brutal auction with sequential plants and a ridiculously tight resource market. Korea has the split-market, which can cause shortages (though my group's grooupthink tends to play around that problem).

India/Australia: India is a brutal experience with power blackouts cutting into money and has a runaway leader problem. Australia adds Uranium Mines which can provide some extra capital (also you'll actually have to calculate the final turn payments because of them to see who won). Australia also has a teleport mechanic that makes erecting expensive blockades ineffective.

Japan/Russia: Russia has a six plant market and no plant scrapping. Japan is a tight map introducing "15/20" cities and forced starting locations (you can have two networks but can only start in two different places).

U.K. & Ireland / Northern Europe: UK has a double network with a single expensive jump and different sized regions. Northern Europe adds replacement plants that change the resource market a surprising amount.

Quebec/Baden-Wurtemburg: Quebec is a tough map with lots of early wind plants. The 33 and 37 don't flip under which starts pushing good plants into the current market. Baden changes turn order after the AUCTION phase which brings a whole new element. It also has 15/20 "external" cities and tends to finish in Step 2 a lot.

Brazil/Spain & Portugal: Brazil is a mega resource shortage with expensive connections -- very brutal. Spain throws the 18/22/27 out at the start of Step 2 which guarantees a midgame stall; I don't care for that map.

Power Grid Deluxe: North America / Europe. (Standalone game, not an expansion) North America has a cool auction mechanic: the low plant gets a "1" token for its minimum bid. It is blown up if no one buys it, but stays in the market if a lower plant comes out. So you can have weirdness like the #35 having a minimum bid of 1 in Step 3. Europe has a slightly larger future market. The connections on both maps are quite expensive but they have 7 regions instead of 6 for more variability and introduce an initial variable setup where you pick 8 random plants from 03-15. One side has a steep drop in the oil market in Step 2, then it rebounds. Also it has dark backed low plant cards so you can "see" if a good or bad plant is coming up next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike A
United States
Hensley
AR - Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your input. We usually game with 5 sometimes 4. They are a pretty competitive group. The US map only has 2-3 good spots to start and those are highly contested.

I am going to pick up the new power plant cards and the Benelux/Central Europe, since the central Europe is a balanced map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls