Subject: Middle Earth CCG: Where's the strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C.A.
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
I want to like this game. I have the challenge decks and have given them a couple of tries. But, so far, I haven't seen much possibility of strategy in the game. It seems mostly a game of hand management. Being limited to eight cards (mostly), and wishing to keep resources for yourself, hazards for your opponent and a few other things such as characters, the decision making seems to come in when you have to discard your excesses. Still, you draw and discards rapidly so that hands are cycled rapidly anyway.

Apart from that, it seems usually obvious where you need to go- the resource cards you have clearly point you in that direction. The decks are already set up with evasion or whatever, so you move where you should, keeping a few cards to help you. When you get to your destination, you know where to go next, and you repeat. Apart from discards, I don't see where the tough decisions with long terms effects are. Maybe the decision to split a company in two, but you can bring them back together pretty easily.

In terms of interaction, yes, one plays hazard cards against the other player, but your draws do limit you quite a bit in what you have available to play. It seems more like a race rather than direct competition, since companies are rapidly moving around and playing their MP resources. If you get your MP resource cards early and close by, you have a much better chance of winning the race, unless your opponent really draws many tough hazards.

I hope the fans of the game can help me find the depth in this game. I want this to be for me the engrossing game that it is for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian B
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this has been covered before. Try this thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/63185

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've covered some of the tactics (although you've left out the decisions on who to tap to fight and when). The strategy is in the deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, deckbuilding holds a lot of the strategy. The decks you build have an overall resource and hazard strategy. Tied to the resource strategy is a traveling strategy as to where one must go and in what order... not all places are obvious as to where one can bring in certain resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Oka
United States
Fort Mitchell
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing is building your deck so that you can get out your resources as fast as possible. For example, you could either play 1 Major item at a hoard site, OR, you could add some cards that allow you to play 3 items(Bounty of the Hoard and Thorough Search). Not only does this empty your hand to cycle in more cards, it also just gave you a bunch of items without having to wait turns or face more hazards.

The hazard strategies are also important. Throwing the 'best' creatures in the game into your deck will probably not fare as well as a carefully constructed card strategy that turns OK wolves into UBER-Wolves. Also, there is no 'best' creature, although Assassin and Slayers should probably be in the sideboard of any deck.

heck, maybe I should just write a strategy article and post it on here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.