Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Eckes
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Short run-through of our 5 player games

Three things beforehand:

-As three of the players had never played dixit I decided to play one round before starting Mysterium.
I think this helped to kind of link to how the whole interpretation stuff works and to atune us in each others way of thinking.

-I read some of what others wrote and deciced against candle light. We had an additional light for me behind the "ghostscreen" which helped to see all details on the small cards.

-I did use the soundtrack from the QR-Code in the rulebook which was OK, but not mindblowing.

First game:
4 players, easy difficulty, one raven each round.

To get visions to everyone if the cards in your hand are suboptimal was hard.
The Raven helped a lot.
Given players more than one card did not always make it easier.
What I meant and what was (mis-)interpret really interestingly.
Totally forget to give the players points when getting their set of 3 visions right.
When we reached the 2nd part of the game I had no fitting cards in my hand to use for the final vision.
Players had only enough points to see the first card.
First game lost.
Players had drawn blood, they WANTED to get a murder solved.

Second & Third game:
4 players, easy difficulty, one raven each round.

-Both of the games were still tough.
-Choosing your cards is tough, atleast for me. It seemed like the bottleneck of the game.
-Thankfully my players were at least a little understanding.
-The players got really good with making points in judging others decisions for the visions.
-Totally forget to give the players point when getting their set of 3 visions right.
-I dumped cards whenever I could and made my handcards ready for the 2nd part of the game.
-Player figured everthing out before the 7th turn and we nailed the ghost both times.

Bottom line:
I really, really enjoyed the game. The idea of interpretation works great with the theme. Im curious about the other side of the table and am looking forward to playing as a clairvoyant.
The shared experience to atune to each other was really nice and It fit with idea of talking to a entity from behind the curtain really good.

Lessons learned:

1.Whatch the cards. The are so many little details. One of the players refered to "discovery books" (hopefully this is the correct english term, like finding waldo).

I think the light helped a lot.

2.As ghost discard cards if possible. (Perhaps i should not do that it feels strange in the games theme) But from game 2 on I discarded cards if players knew after one failed attempted which card was right.

3. Keep the card that is not assigned to one player behind your screen.
That made working as a ghost a lot easier because I didnt need to look over the screen.

4. As ghost: gather cards before the 2nd part to really bring one of the combinations in the final vision across to the players.

5. Dont forget to advance players after they finished their set of cards for as many points as there are turns left.

Have a nice one,
Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Kornbert wrote:
1.Whatch the cards. The are so many little details. One of the players refered to "discovery books" (hopefully this is the correct english term, like finding waldo).

Very true. You have to coach new players not to hold their "visions" like a poker hand, fanned out in front of them. I had one psychic covering up the little vase on the side of the card doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls