Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
Voting has slowed to a trickle, so polls are closed, and we have our winners:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/21146371#21146371

Hi all,
Attention hobbyist artists and graphic designers: Looking for a quick, fun project?

First off, I received an OK from moderator Octavian for this. Thanks.

Second, I'm not trying to entice any great artists with a bit of Geek Gold, and then steal your work to fund my retirement. This game is currently a [WIP], and at best, it will be "published" here on BGG as a free print and play only.

OK, onto the fun stuff...

I posted in the "Board Game Art & Graphic Design" forum yesterday looking for advice on graphic design (and received great advice, thanks).
Learning Graphic Design in Spare Time - Possible?

Along the way, someone suggested a contest, so here it is.

Design "Cover Art" for my slightly steampunk themed game "Iron & Brass"

Contest Starts: 11/04/2015
Submission Deadline: 11/30/2015 11:59pm Eastern Time (US)
Voting Period: 12/01/2015 - 12/15/2015 (I will add a poll to this thread). I think since voting has slowed down, I will close voting at about 6pm central time Tuesday December 8.

Prizes:
1st Place "Scott's Choice" 100 GG (also, I will use it as the "cover art" when I post the game in BGG's database)

1st place "People's Choice" 100 GG

2nd Place "Scott's Choice" 25 GG

2nd place "People's Choice" 25 GG

Prizes will be awarded in the above order to 4 different entries (so if my 1st choice is the same the people's 1st choice, the people's next choice will receive the 100GG, and so on).

To enter, just post the image to this thread.

No limit to number of entries per person, but each person will only be eligible to win one award.

Image size guideline: 8"x8" at 300 ppi (based on advice from others), square or rectangular are OK

If you want to enter but DON'T want me to use the image, please add an obvious watermark to the image. Entry will still be eligible for the bottom 3 prizes, but NOT "Scott's Choice 1st Place".

Background Info on Game:
[WIP] Concept Phase: "Iron & Brass" - Steampunk Meets Warcraft RTS

Game Description:
Welcome to Dugbirch - not a city of splendor and spires and airships, but an almost forgotten colony. It's far away from those sprawling cities, and with not enough gold to attract the city dwellers. But, just enough gold to battle over.

Two rival towns are mining the gold and hiring the able bodied to build their towns into fortified cities and their militias into capable, mechanized armies.

Iron & Brass challenges players to succeed in a world of wonderful machinery, but limited resources. Choose your strategy carefully, then execute that strategy to defeat your opponent and rule the colony of Dugbirch.

Example game piece:

My Desired Look for the Cover Art (but you don't have to stick to this look):
World War 1 propaganda poster look, possibly.

Or, possibly, a clean look like this:

Here are a bunch of files of game pieces from the game, inspiration pictures, etc.:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4GOwLLS7SEbbXZ6RHN0UV9FRT...

Other Stuff:
Looking for original designs that I will have the right to reproduce as a cover image for the game in the BGG game database. I will NOT use this image for profit.

The two players in the game are "iron(gray)&blue" and "brass&red" if you are looking for color themes.

Hopefully, this will give some talented folks looking for a fun little project an outlet to do so. Someone warned me that this may be perceived as "poor form" offering next to nothing (geek gold) for valuable work. That is not my intent. I, like many of you, have offered to help with rules editing of others for free and it was rewarding for me to do that. I'm hoping this will feel the same way for artists and graphic designers.

Thanks.

PS Credit where credit is due: My avatar and the images for the Iron Infantry and Skirmisher Patrol pieces were created by:
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you got the green light, looking forward to seeing people's submissions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
What's the box size exactly? What type of box?

A layout template would be ideal. The gamecrafter and other POD sites have templates you could link to.

Also, it doesn't look like you've shared that google drive folder publicly.

Edit - Or you are looking for a square promotional graphic for the BGG entry? I'd still specify an inch size at print quality. Some 500x500 raster image won't ever be print quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
Thanks for the questions.

Google Drive link should be fixed now.

No physical box, the image is just for a near future BGG game listing.

I am a hobbyist game designer only. I have no intention of getting this game published by a real game publisher or kickstarting it or anything. I had thought of putting it on GameCrafter, but don't really want to "profit" from an artist's submission. I put profit in quotes because I am a realist. If the game sold 2 copies to people I didn't know I'd be thrilled.

So, I'll stick to my original post and say again that any art from this contest will NOT be used if I ever decide to put it on GameCrafter or other sites. Any contributors hoping to get publicity from this game will most likely be very disappointed.

So, just an image for the BGG game page (that doesn't exist yet).

Is 8"x8" reasonable for a size?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are specifying a size, you need the dimensions and the pixel resolution. Something like 8"x8" at 300 ppi should work well for your needs, I would think. Just listing the dimensions means little in the image world - imagine buying a 150" TV, but then finding out it wasn't even 1080p!

That said, I think specifying what you are using the image for is enough, we can figure out the rest. No reason listing specs if you're not sure that is what you will need. In this case, I would just say you're looking for a BGG cover image and something to be printed at 8.5 x 11" for the rulebook cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to get things started:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Clayton
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added this contest to the Current Contest Info thread. Good luck everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aalekh H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Made a very minimalist cover for you, using your machine icons (I liked them quite a bit). I have this in different colour schemes. Can i post all, or only 1? Posting my favourite for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for contributing. I'm not sure about posting "all" - it might water down the votes you receive, but go ahead and post two or three if you want.

For all contributors, I don't want to offer any feedback because I don't want to skew the "peoples choice" voting. But I do appreciate all entries. Maybe, if you want feedback on your entries from others, just ask. (I just feel a bit ungrateful not posting "great tone" or "cool look" or whatever about each entry).

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Thanks for contributing. I'm not sure about posting "all" - it might water down the votes you receive, but go ahead and post two or three if you want.

For all contributors, I don't want to offer any feedback because I don't want to skew the "peoples choice" voting. But I do appreciate all entries. Maybe, if you want feedback on your entries from others, just ask. (I just feel a bit ungrateful not posting "great tone" or "cool look" or whatever about each entry).

Thanks all.
Variations might be nice to see - maybe something like one large image, and three small images per entry?

Side note - is there any particular limit to entries per person?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
CasualSax wrote:

Variations might be nice to see - maybe something like one large image, and three small images per entry?

Side note - is there any particular limit to entries per person?
Variations are fine, but not required by any means.

And as for limit on entries, hmmmmm.... let's say no limit on entries, but each participant can only win one of the awards (so as not to discourage those who just make one entry).

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Here's a design.

Edit

There's room for a company logo and other standard boardgame cover info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Been quiet here for a few days, so I'll throw one of my "mash ups" of a WWI propaganda poster into the contest. I'll submit this to the people's choice category, but will not be eligible for winning any of my own geekgold. Just curious to see where it stacks up against the others in other people's minds. Low resolution, so not suitable for a real box cover, but OK for a BGG listing image I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aalekh H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good stuff. Makes me want to try something like this. Though I have no previous experience at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
xcalibur1992 wrote:
Good stuff. Makes me want to try something like this. Though I have no previous experience at all
Look here: Learning Graphic Design in Spare Time - Possible? for some beginner advice.

I downloaded Paint.Net and it seems to fit my beginner needs perfectly: free, user friendly, powerful enough for me now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aalekh H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
xcalibur1992 wrote:
Look here: Learning Graphic Design in Spare Time - Possible? for some beginner advice.

I downloaded Paint.Net and it seems to fit my beginner needs perfectly: free, user friendly, powerful enough for me now.
You misunderstand me I cant seem to wrap my head around the war propaganda type of posters. Have a hard time working with that as a theme. Quite a new style to me, otherwise I'm quite well versed with general graphic design (just finished up 5 years of architecture and have been freelancing as a designer for the last year and a half).

Personally I tend to use Photoshop for anything and everything. No other software gives me that level of comfort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
OK, sorry. I thought "no previous experience at all" meant no previous graphic design experience. Carry on.

For a person with no experience, like me, the posters give a look or feel that I like, and, since they are issued by governments, often times they are not copyrighted. So, since I am not able to create images like that, it works for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
here is one from me meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Hey all,
We are about half way through this contest, and have some really great submissions already. Thanks to all contest participants so far, and for those who may be working on something but not submitted it yet. Keep those entries coming.

Once the submission deadline passes, I'll post a poll here with all the entries in the order they were submitted. For simplicity, I'll name each entry as descriptively as I can in a couple words. Here are my names so far, in the order they were submitted:

1) Crane & Blimp by CasualSax

2) Ship & Blimps by Staflier

3) Yellow Gears by Xcalibur1992

4) Green Guy by TimST1E

5) Yellow Tank by me (eligible for poll, but not for GG)

6) Emblem on Tank by Yshild

It would be great if we could get a total of 10 entries or more by month end. If you already submitted, feel free to create another and submit it. If you haven't submitted yet, you've got about 13 days to create and submit something.

It's flattering to see people take time to work on something for a game I created. And, it's also been education for me to critique each submission (to myself) and pick apart what I like and don't like about each submission.

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
here are a couple of designs of mine just because this looked fun to do (the BGG version of these files are 8"x10" at 72dpi just to keep the files small in the gallery). 300dpi versions can be made easily enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Beautiful work as always Todd! Would love to see some art for the game that matches this style as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Wheeler
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's kind of a modern grungy design. I am a pro so if that DQs me no big deal-I just had fun making it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks recent entrants, cool stuff.

As for being a pro, I didn't specify anything in the contest rules, and it's not like you all are competing for a chance at fortune and fame. Plus, I have no way of knowing if anyone else is a pro, and don't want to get into drawing the line at what "pro" means, etc., so your entry is fine.

Thanks again.

Keep those images coming. We're up to 9 now. Having 15 or 20 to choose from by November 30 would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
7 days to go. Here's what we have for entries so far:

1) Crane & Blimp by CasualSax

2) Ship & Blimps by Staflier

3) Yellow Gears by Xcalibur1992

4) Green Officer by TimST1E

5) Yellow Tank by me (eligible for poll, but not for GG)

6) Emblem on Tank by Yshild

7) Gray Tank by dumarest123

8) Sketchy Tank by dumarest123

9) Gear & Shells by CousinPaddy

A very nice, and flattering collection. Maybe we'll see a few more entries in this final week.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |