Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
Couple more days before the poll opens for this contest. Any final entries?

Let's see if I can make a collage of the entries so far:

From gallery of CasualSax
From gallery of Narrow Gate Games
From gallery of xcalibur1992
From gallery of TimST1E

From gallery of yshild
From gallery of dumarest123
From gallery of CousinPaddy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Feudal fanMicrobadge: Helionox: The Last Sunset fanMicrobadge: Pocket Landship fanMicrobadge: Scythe fanMicrobadge: Hnefatafl fan
I'll create a poll as a separate thread in the Design Contest area tonight, since it doesn't look like I can add a poll to my original post, and I don't want the poll to be "a couple posts down on page 2" of this thread - I want it to be simple.

Should I just allow a single choice for each voter? That's obviously the simplest - highest vote getter gets 1st place in people's choice, next highest gets 2nd place.

Or, would it be better to allow each person to vote 2 or 3 times? I'm thinking this might give a better picture of what people's second favorite image is??

I DON'T want to do a 1st place poll and a 2nd place poll, because that could create all sorts of confusion.

Any expert advice?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Microbadge: PastafarianMicrobadge: AccountantMicrobadge: New England Revolution fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter - I like GreenMicrobadge: Martini lover
I think you should let everyone rate each image between Great/Liked/Just Okay. Then the winner could be the most "Great" votes, with using "Liked" as a tie breaker. Something like question number two here:

Poll
Which is your favorite?
1. Which of these images is your favorite?
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
2. How do you feel about these images?
  Awesome! Like it Just Okay/Did Not Like
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
      1 answer
Poll created by CasualSax
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I suppose using "Liked It" only as a tie breaker could work.

But, what I'm afraid of is...
Let's say Image A gets 10 "Awesome" votes, so it wins 1st place People's Choice.

Image B gets 1 "Awesome" and 9 "Likes" and 5 "OK"s.

Image C gets 4 "Awesome" and 1 "Like" and 10 "OK"s.

You could argue that even though image B only got 1 Awesome, it got 9 likes, so it should win 2nd place.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Or... could I make "Awesomes" worth 2 points and "Liked" worth 1 point? That way, I could just do the math to find the winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Microbadge: PastafarianMicrobadge: AccountantMicrobadge: New England Revolution fanMicrobadge: Cosmic Encounter - I like GreenMicrobadge: Martini lover
Narrow Gate Games wrote:

EDIT:

Or... could I make "Awesomes" worth 2 points and "Liked" worth 1 point? That way, I could just do the math to find the winner.
I think that's a fine system. I forgot that you needed to figure out a second place winner.

There is not a perfect method of voting - every method makes assumptions about either the breadth or width of support. There is a method called Instant Runoff Voting which re-allocates votes for the last place candidate until one option has more than 50% of the votes, but that is overkill here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks. I think I'll go with the 2 points 1 point system.

And, I may add a couple just for fun polls if I can think of a couple good categories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
You could create a survey on survey monkey and let people vote for first, second, and third place. 3 points for 1st, 2 points for 2nd, and 1 point for 3rd place votes. Just include a link in the first post and one below. Just an idea - that's how I did it for the mint tin contest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks, but I think I want to keep it here for easier linking to the images.

Plus (I don't know if this is good or bad really), with a BGG poll, people can see the progress of the poll as the days go by. Could be a bit embarrassing for me if poll only gets a few voters, and maybe for the artists that submit something that gets few votes, but I like the idea of keeping it here on BGG and visible.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Up to you but I prefer polls that aren't visible until the voting period is over (like the solitaire contests).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
R4D6 wrote:
Up to you but I prefer polls that aren't visible until the voting period is over (like the solitaire contests).
Hmmm...

Maybe I need to do a poll on how to do the contest poll?

I thought a BGG poll would be good because:
1) I can easily link the images
2) It's easy for BGG-ers
3) It will show the results in real time to all

I could set up a Survey Monkey survey and not reveal results until Dec. 15, if that is what contestants prefer.

If any contestants have an opinion, please post here or geekmail me in the next 6 hours or so please.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Dice (d12) fanMicrobadge: 1 Full-Page Label PnP Contest participantMicrobadge: 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest participant
survey monkey polls seem better. often, visible polls can have their results swayed by seeing one poll item gain ground over the other. momentum builds and skews the results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
dumarest123 wrote:
survey monkey polls seem better. often, visible polls can have their results swayed by seeing one poll item gain ground over the other. momentum builds and skews the results.
+1

Other methods like google forms work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Microbadge: Geek of the WeekMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Dice (d12) fanMicrobadge: 1 Full-Page Label PnP Contest participantMicrobadge: 2015 Solitaire Print and Play Contest participant
sure any of the form/poll tools out there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
A few hours early (I'll add any last minute entries), but voting is now open!

Voting at this link:
Vote For Your Favorite of These Cover Art Images for My Game "Iron & Brass" (Contest Voting)

FYI, the Google Forms poll asks for a 1st choice and 2nd choice (and "honorable mentions").

I'll award 2 points for each 1st choice and 1 point for each 2nd choice.

If there is a strong leader in the honorable mention section, I will announce that also.

Thanks.

P.S. I've got my "Scott's Choices" picked, but I won't reveal them until the voting is closed. Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
dumarest123 wrote:
I think the results will be swayed anyway by having open discussion on the entries. Using Survey Monkey is an extra step, but it isn't hurting anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
CasualSax wrote:
dumarest123 wrote:
I think the results will be swayed anyway by having open discussion on the entries. Using Survey Monkey is an extra step, but it isn't hurting anyone.
I'm a little surprised by the amount of discussion in the voting thread (since I didn't really ask for discussion), but that's OK. Yes, that discussion is probably swaying some votes. But, it's also keeping the thread up top, so hopefully getting more people looking.

As I posted over there, up to 26 votes so far, and I'm fairly certain not everyone posting their opinions is actually voting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Voting has slowed to a trickle, and I couldn't wait any longer, so the polls are now closed.

We have a runaway leader…

My top 2 selections that I picked prior to opening the voting ended up exactly the same as the “people’s choices”, which tells me that you guys have great taste .

My submission is obviously not eligible for my GG award, and Todd is only eligible for one award.

To calculate people’s choice 1st and 2nd place winners, I awarded 2 points for every 1st place vote and 1 point for every 2nd place vote.

There was a very clear #1 and #2, and a tight race for #3, 4, and 5, then another step down in scores to the remaining entries.

And, the winners are….

1st place “Scott’s Choice”: Todd Sanders’ Blue & Gray Tank - 100 GG

1st place “People’s Choice”: Patrick Wheeler’s Gear & Shells - 100 GG
From gallery of CousinPaddy

2nd place “Scott’s Choice”: Yshild’s Emblem on Tank - 25 GG
From gallery of yshild

2nd place “People’s Choice”: Robin Gibson’s Ship & Blimps - 25 GG

Congratulations!

People’s Choice points:
42 pts blue & gray tank
30 gear & shells
15 ship & blimps
15 sketchy tank (Todd’s second, so not eligible for additional GG)
14 blue & yellow tank (my submission, so not eligible for GG)
5 emblem on tank
4 pts each: crane & blimp, yellow gears, green officer

Thanks everyone for putting in the effort to create and submit a design. This has been fun and flattering for me. Hopefully, my game can come close to living up to the awesome artwork.

If you care, here are my thoughts on each submission:

Crane & Blimp: I like that the photo hinted at building up a military, but for someone unfamiliar with the game, not sure the photo conveys enough about the game. Also, the font and the overall look of the art look nicely polished, maybe like some sort of copper plate photo, but too polished for what the game is (or at least the “feel” of the game that I want to convey).

Ship & Blimps: Has a very professional look to it, the font and the little “fluffs” on each end of the words are nice. To me, this looks like a real game box cover, maybe from some 1970s or 1980s Avalon Hill war game (and I mean that as a compliment). But, as others have mentioned, there are no ships or blimps in my game, so I couldn’t really use this for the “cover art”.

Yellow Gears: I really like the boldness of this color scheme. I think someone else mentioned it should be dirtied up some, but I like it. It reminds me of the Panzer Blitz cover with the bold, contrasting colors. I also really like the use of the game piece images on the cover, but wish that they were bigger (although I did not supply hi-res images of those) and the gears were smaller. Maybe have the ground made up of 50 or 60 smaller gears, and have the game piece vehicles be 2-3 times bigger on top of that gear-ground. This is my “honorable mention”.

Green Officer: Like the font and color of the text, but I don’t like the way that green guy is looking at me. Very nice, artistic, posterized? look of the character, but he is sort of distracting to me. Quit looking at me like that you smug little man!

Blue & Yellow Tank (my submission): I really like this, so I’m thrilled that others like it as well. I like the simple 4 color scheme (white, yellow, blue, black) and the simplified, almost cartoon-ish level of detail of the base image. Just looks like a nice screen printed poster. My work on this was simple, but I like how it turned out: black out the original text, find a decent font, color match the yellow and blue text to the image, add a little dirt to the text.

Emblem on Tank: Very nice overall look. As others have said, the tank is clearly a WWII tank, so that doesn’t quite match the game. This would be the winner if I create a follow-up game in the WWII era. I like the composition of the image (tank in the foreground, battlefield in the background) and the color scheme. I love the emblem added to the tank. Others have said the emblem looks like it is “floating” on the tank, I don’t know. Maybe the emblem just needs to be dirtied up a bit of scratched or something to make it look more like a part of the tank. Very cool.

Blue Gray Tank: My first pick and the people's’ choice highest vote getter. Very cool base image to start with. “Rule the Colony” is brilliant. Sets the tone for the game perfectly. I’ll be sure to steal that tag line. The “Iron & Brass” font and colors are fantastic. Minor nitpicks: the “Rule the Colony” font might be a little too modern looking, the “Narrow Gate Games Presents” looks a little cramped there, and the font color is a little too black - just jumps out a little too much, and the “&” being larger looks a bit cramped too - would it look good in a smaller font rather than larger? (This image has been the background on my tablet since I first saw it).

Sketchy Tank: Similar to Blue Gray Tank. I really like the red and blue color scheme. I like the fonts, I like how “Narrow Gate Games” font and color fit the image better. I don’t like that the base image has folds in it. The base image is actually from a German propaganda poster showing off a captured British tank, I believe. That’s why the German soldier is just casually standing there. I like the “Iron & Brass” font, but it looks a bit cramped.

Gear & Shells: I like the abstractness or vagueness of the image - the arrangement of the shells on the gear (or rotary engine?). My OCD is bothered by the 11 gear teeth and shells - shouldn’t it be 12? The font isn’t my favorite, but the font color and 3D layered look are great. I like this as a great “teaser” image - “Man, I wonder what this game is all about”.

Geek Gold transfer is complete.

Thank you once again to all participants and the many voters. Final vote count was 45, which I think is pretty good for 7 days of voting. As I have said before, this contest has been a lot of fun for me, and I’m grateful to the more than forty people who took the time to vote in the contest. It has also been educational to me as I dabble in graphic design - looking at composition, colors, fonts, layering, depth, etc.

Now, I have the added pressure of making sure this game lives up to the awesome cover art.

I need to playtest the game a bit more before I “publish” it here on BGG as a PnP, so it may be a couple months before the “Rule the Colony” tank cover art is seen again.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
thanks for the votes. i appreciate the support of my work

"Blue Gray Tank: My first pick and the people's’ choice highest vote getter. Very cool base image to start with. “Rule the Colony” is brilliant. Sets the tone for the game perfectly. I’ll be sure to steal that tag line".

well i got that tag line from your description of the game in the original thread post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
dumarest123 wrote:
“Rule the Colony” is brilliant. Sets the tone for the game perfectly. I’ll be sure to steal that tag line".

well i got that tag line from your description of the game in the original thread post
I just said "rule the colony" as part of the explanation of the game. I hadn't intended, and may never have thought to use it as the tagline for the game. Seeing those three words as part of the cover art just makes it more impactful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
Awesome! Glad to see you got a top notch cover for your game, a deserving winner and a fun choice. Now the pressure is on you to make sure everything else lives up to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aalekh H
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Print and Play Secret Santa 2015 participantMicrobadge: I think of ideas for new PnP projectsMicrobadge: 2015 Copper SupporterMicrobadge: Architect
Thanks for your comments. Your ideas to improve on my image are quite great.
And wonderful work Todd. Really good stuff. Lot to learn from you

Edit: typo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Can't have this awesome game cover art of a tank crushing everything in site, and then not have a big tank like that in the game, right?

So, I added a 'top of the food chain' military unit to the game, which actually gives symmetry to the military units: 3 types of infantry units, 3 artillery, and now 3 armored vehicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Can't have this awesome game cover art of a tank crushing everything in site, and then not have a big tank like that in the game, right?

So, I added a 'top of the food chain' military unit to the game, which actually gives symmetry to the military units: 3 types of infantry units, 3 artillery, and now 3 armored vehicles.

Seeing the two images next to each other, it is an interesting mix of style. The cover art has tattered edges and dull colors. The game pieces are very slick and modern. The game pieces are a huge draw to me with the great look of the stats line and minimalist art. Are people going to get the feel of the beautifully designed game pieces from this cover art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
leifericson wrote:

Seeing the two images next to each other, it is an interesting mix of style. The cover art has tattered edges and dull colors. The game pieces are very slick and modern. The game pieces are a huge draw to me with the great look of the stats line and minimalist art. Are people going to get the feel of the beautifully designed game pieces from this cover art?
Thank you very much for your compliments on the game piece design. Yes, they look slick and modern as an image on a computer screen, but printed out as a 0.9" square on adhesive paper takes some of the shimmer away (and that's OK).

On a 1" square base, the pieces don't seem (to me) to be too slick or modern. The minimalist art is due to the need to be readable at 1" square, and my lack of artistic skill.

Is the tattered, dull colored cover art a mis-match for this? Maybe, but the whole steampunk genre is sort of an odd mix of "alternative history" and futuristic type fantasy. (I am saying this game has a "mild steampunk" theme, since I could basically remove the steam engines and the game wouldn't change).

Maybe the backgrounds of the playing pieces could be more "gritty" and less polished. My main concern is readability when the pieces are real 1" square game pieces.

I think you are asking valid questions. I'd be curious to hear what others think. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Here is a sneak peek at all military units available to each side.

I'm not 100% sold on all the artwork, but certainly conveys enough of a feel to make playtesting fun.

Artwork for Skirmisher Patrol and Iron Infantry drawn by BGG user "skoll". everything else created by my minimally skilled hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |