Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge:
I've been keeping an eye on the current Kickstarter for this game, but still haven't made my pledge yet. While I think there's value in joining the KS, I have my concerns about the rule book translation into English, based partly on the review by
J. Santos
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
Galicia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From what I've seen in his review and a few videos, Onus seems like a pretty good variant on miniatures combat, nice to look at without the time, expense, and hassle of buying, painting and storing the miniatures for several armies. But if the Spanish version of the rule book is already confusing, how much worse will an English translation of it be? I've read the English quick guide and noted plenty of minor grammatical errors and poorly-worded sentences, and I'm worried that the actual rules will be much worse. Does anyone have word on how much proofing and editing is still to be done? Can this process be opened up to backers for rules review and correction?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
I've been keeping an eye on the current Kickstarter for this game, but still haven't made my pledge yet. While I think there's value in joining the KS, I have my concerns about the rule book translation into English, based partly on the review by
J. Santos
Spain
Santiago de Compostela
Galicia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From what I've seen in his review and a few videos, Onus seems like a pretty good variant on miniatures combat, nice to look at without the time, expense, and hassle of buying, painting and storing the miniatures for several armies. But if the Spanish version of the rule book is already confusing, how much worse will an English translation of it be? I've read the English quick guide and noted plenty of minor grammatical errors and poorly-worded sentences, and I'm worried that the actual rules will be much worse. Does anyone have word on how much proofing and editing is still to be done? Can this process be opened up to backers for rules review and correction?
Greetings Brian,

As far as you can imagine all Draco Ideas staff were Spanish. We have made a translation of rules, quick guide and solo rules, but before send them to printing all game components, we have partners in the USA and UK and that are going to revise them. This isn’t a problem for us.

Regarding to rules, we are working in a new version of the rules, with more examples and clarifications to solve the comments of the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Woolsey

Strafford
Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very fair question. I thought the English-language video featured on the KS page (but not here, strangely) was excellent. If that quality goes into the revised rules, I don't anticipate much of a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge: Microbadge:
Good to know that you already have lined up multiple groups to make sure the new rules are clear. More examples and illustrations should go a long way to improving the rules! Especially for a game of this type, it is very important to know which effects apply first and so forth. I can't wait to see how sieges play out!

Also, can you tell me, is the play mat add-on a double-sided mat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bokrug wrote:
Good to know that you already have lined up multiple groups to make sure the new rules are clear. More examples and illustrations should go a long way to improving the rules! Especially for a game of this type, it is very important to know which effects apply first and so forth. I can't wait to see how sieges play out!

Also, can you tell me, is the play mat add-on a double-sided mat?
Thank you!

I'm afraid the playmat is a single side mat. If you buy both playmath you can play a single battle in any of them or you can join both play mats to play in a bigger battlefield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls