Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: February rules question - opening packages - SPOILERS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Somerton
Australia
Invergowrie (Armidale)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
Avatar
Microbadge: Northside Gamers GuildMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: Board games keep me youngMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
We started playing the February round and struck a moment of confusion.

We followed the legacy steps and opened the windows in the dossiers, but we weren't sure whether the numbers on the Legacy card also meant opening the corresponding packages?

From memory the Legacy card said to open: 1, 19, 9, G and 6.

We opened dossier window 1 and used the sticker, but having gained the Quarantine Specialist we realised they did not have any quarantine tokens, so we realised we also need to open package 1 - voila, it contained the quarantine tokens.

But proceeding in order, opening dossier windows, we opened window 6, but weren't sure whether we should also have opened package 6? We decided not to open the package and the game seemed to play OK. Well... we won.

Can someone please confirm whether this was the case or not? Should we have also opened package 6? Does it make a big difference?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Many people seem to miss the instructions to open the packages. They are usually on a yellow sticker in the dossier windows. So not only look on the part that you take out but also inside the door you just opened.

So yes, you played everything correctly and probably just overlooked the little sticker within one of the doors (not on the part you took out) that says to open package 1.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalinda Patton
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Craig,

The game will tell you when you need to open a Secret Box.
Check on the Top Secret Dossier sheet once you've opened a door. You will see a yellow sticker saying that you can open a specific Secret Box when you have to
2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
Invergowrie (Armidale)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
Avatar
Microbadge: Northside Gamers GuildMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: Board games keep me youngMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I'll admit, none of us saw the yellow sticker with the instructions to open the package. We'll certainly be aware of it for next time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I'll admit, none of us saw the yellow sticker with the instructions to open the package. We'll certainly be aware of it for next time.
I think that's something to think about improving in future Legacy style games. When 100% of the time you have information on the back of the door and 90ish% of the time you don't have any information on the dossier itself, it's real easy for someone to miss that yellow notice. I caught the one for packages 1 and 2 and still missed package 3...

Granted, however, having it on the dossier means that you can easily find out about that mistake later by consulting all your dossiers and registering that you have X little yellow notices telling you to open packages.

So yeah, I'm not sure how to improve the User Experience on that one. Maybe have tiny doors whose *only* info is that they declare you can open a package, instead the notice piggyback on a door with a sticker? Then you would consult the door, see no sticker on it, and figure out you need to look in the dossier instead?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Rodriguez
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

I'll admit, none of us saw the yellow sticker with the instructions to open the package. We'll certainly be aware of it for next time.
Don't feel bad, happened the same thing to the Dice Tower crew, albeit it was a different month.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
So yeah, I'm not sure how to improve the User Experience on that one. Maybe have tiny doors whose *only* info is that they declare you can open a package, instead the notice piggyback on a door with a sticker? Then you would consult the door, see no sticker on it, and figure out you need to look in the dossier instead?
Number the packages and the doors so there are no repeats. Like, number the packages 1-8, then start the doors at 9 and go from there. So when a card tells you to open #1, there's only one thing to open.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
Invergowrie (Armidale)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
Avatar
Microbadge: Northside Gamers GuildMicrobadge: The Crew: The Quest For Planet 9 fanMicrobadge: Board games keep me youngMicrobadge: Apple Cider drinkerMicrobadge: I design board games... poorly.
Dexter345 wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:
So yeah, I'm not sure how to improve the User Experience on that one. Maybe have tiny doors whose *only* info is that they declare you can open a package, instead the notice piggyback on a door with a sticker? Then you would consult the door, see no sticker on it, and figure out you need to look in the dossier instead?
Number the packages and the doors so there are no repeats. Like, number the packages 1-8, then start the doors at 9 and go from there. So when a card tells you to open #1, there's only one thing to open.
Good idea, or they could have simply printed different symbols on the cards.

A door icon and number for dossiers and a Package icon and number for packages.

That was our concern, with both the dossier and packages numbered 1 and 6, we just weren't sure to open one or both.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls