BGG» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Dungeon crawler for adults and kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Kragh
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, i been planning on buying a dungeon crawler for some time now but are really torn about which one to choose.

I enjoy different kind of games. Talisman is fun as my Group and I accept that we are at lady lucks mercy and just watch and participate in a story which unfolds. (however the game is a little to long for what it offers and is...)
On the other hand claustrophobia is an awesome game with less luck but great variety in how tiles and cards affect scenarios.

So what i am looking for is a new dungeon crawler as i own none. If a newly purchased dungeon crawler could be played with my two boys age 7 and 9 as well as my gaming Group it would be perfect.

Games i consider:

Claustrophobia
+Great dice mechanic
+Variety (exploration and Cards)
- Two player (however sometimes two player only is also a plus...)

Arcadia Quest
Haven't tried it but from what i imagine:
+Fast play time
+Great mix of PvE and PVP
+Loot, monsters, dice chucking
-(runaway leader problem?)

Sword & Sorcery
+Rahdo enthusiasm makes a game look great as always...
+Nice Classic stereotype fantasy roles
+Nice minis
+Gameplay looks great with different ways to spec characters and to alter scenarios but not being overly complicated
-(might be a little tough for a 7 year old but as a coop and with the aid of dad...?)

Also considered descent 2ed but it seems more fiddly then the 3 above despite Sword and Sorcery having its share of rules.
Mice an Mystics. No. Not gonna happen. Aren't gonna charge through dungeons as roddents...

Regarding Arcadia or Sword & Sorcery i would spring for the kickstarter for one of the two if its gonne be one of these. This would of course incur some waiting in receiving the game but i am okay with this as i'm slowly getting used to having to wait when i purchase new titles(e.g. backed Blood Rage, Carson City, and The dwarves: the saga)

Suggestions regarding the dungeon crawls listed above or other titles would be greatly appreciated..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
Microbadge: Challenge to play 10 games 10 times each hardcore participantMicrobadge: Star Wars: Imperial Assault fan Microbadge: Fringe fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fan
Have you checked out Imperial Assault, specifically the skirmish mode (1 vs 1)?

The campaign mode is too complex right now, but the skirmish mode could be played without the command decks and with some simplifications to get you all upto speed and add things gradually. (The base game comes with 6 skirmish missions, you get points for defeating enemies and fulfilling mission-specific objectives. You can build your armies or use the defaults.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Fletcher
United States
Saratoga Springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
I am awaited in Valhalla!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend the classic dungeon crawl Heroquest. Out of print but not hard to find. You should be able to get a copy for a lot less than the Arcadia Quest Kickstarter.

It's simple enough for your sons but engaging enough to keep an adult interested. Like a lot of others, I owe my love for board gaming to Heroquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Hornblower
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark B
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Rolling Dice & Taking Names FanMicrobadge: Star Trek fanMicrobadge: Firefly fanMicrobadge: Origins attendeeMicrobadge: Cyclades fan
Just remember that Claustrophobia is only a two player game. Also, Arcadia Quest is more of a player v. player than a dungeon crawl. I would suggest you look into the Dungeons and Dragons board games. The one I have, Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game, has both simple and advanced rules, though I have not done more than punched the pieces and looked over the rules at this point, so I cannot give my opinion of gameplay.

Also, the upcoming Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game might fit the bill. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
badge
Mini Painter
Microbadge: Level 05 BGG posterMicrobadge: Autism AwarenessMicrobadge: Blue Peg Pink Peg - Pegs LogoMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: 2020 Miniature Painters Guild Challenge participant
Just my two cents, but if you are considering Arcadia Quest and it is the type of game that you like, then make sure that you are looking into their kickstarter when it opens later this month. It is sure to have a lot of minis and exclusive content. It seems like the production end of it is pretty much ready to hit the print button, so the wait may not be terrible.

If you are into this type of thing too, make sure you check out the currently running Super Dungeon Explore kickstarter. That one will have a year long wait time, but would be worth checking out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sodapopminiatures/super...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was goind to suggest Mice and mystics but you seem not interested in the theme. I have not played Descend 2nd, but I have played a lot of 1st edition. It is a game that you can easily mold to your taste and adjust the difficulty level when you play the overlord. Lots of rules and fiddlines can be taken away to let your kids explore and enjoy the labyrinth. Unfortunately very expansive and hard to find...

Maybe Gears of war? Not that complicated, cooperative (you against the locust hordes), some missions are short (1h +/-), top notch components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Dungeon Saga has just come out. It was a kickstarter, and they screwed up the advanced rules (the advanced rulebook is riddled with typos, they must have sent the wrong version to the printers) but the basic game is fun and simple enough for kids but with enough decisions to make it interesting. It's a "vs" game, with the 'dungeon master' vs. the heroes. So you could play against your kids, and vary your evilness to allow them to win each time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about DungeonQuest Revised Edition
It is very luck depending (random drawing of dungeon tiles, Cards, and dice rolling), but it can also be hilarious and is very fast paced. A game will hardly ever last 60 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Kragh
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the great suggestions.
I’m considering buying Claustrophobia and adding Furor Sanguinis. This would add a single 3 player scenario to the game but looking at their website theirs also another 3 player sceneario by Croc.
This wouldn’t change the fact that it is still very much a 2 player game but as I will properly play only two 60-70% of the time this might actually be the solution.
Dungeon quest as an easy going random crawl was also a good suggestion and if I can pick this up cheap at a later time I will definitely ad it. Also still considering Arcadia Inferno whereas Super dungeon Explore lacks the interaction of Arcadia (I’m fine with backstabbingninja).

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls