Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Need advice on next steps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I just bought 2 starter sets, the original and also the force unleashed. I have exactly $100 to spend for more... What should I get? I am brand new to this game and cant decide, there's so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two Aces sets are good values and give you some good options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
The two Aces sets are good values and give you some good options.
Awesome, so here is what I am thinking,

Millennium falcon
tie advanced (darth)
rebel aces
imperial aces
X wing expansion (wedge)

How does that sound with the two core sets? Would that be enough content for a while and make me able to do point matches with a friend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Linnell
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
I really need a new badge, avatar, and overtext. GM me with any ideas....
badge
This is the seahorse valley
mb
My only thought is that if you can spare the cash to add a large imperial ship (Firespray or Decimator), you'll be a bit more balanced. Personally I would prioritize it over the extra X-wing (you can always use a proxy for Wedge if that's what you're after).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
solidhavok wrote:
My only thought is that if you can spare the cash to add a large imperial ship (Firespray or Decimator), you'll be a bit more balanced. Personally I would prioritize it over the extra X-wing (you can always use a proxy for Wedge if that's what you're after).
Thank you, and by proxy do you just mean print out a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Print out a card or some other form (some people just play with a printed or digital list).

I'd also recommend swapping out the TIE Advanced, unless you're going to go the proxy route to get the cards Advanced Targeting Computer and the TIE X/1 title.

You'd have more fun with a Phantom, or putting the money towards a Firespray/Decimator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Silt44 wrote:
Print out a card or some other form (some people just play with a printed or digital list).

I'd also recommend swapping out the TIE Advanced, unless you're going to go the proxy route to get the cards Advanced Targeting Computer and the TIE X/1 title.

You'd have more fun with a Phantom, or putting the money towards a Firespray/Decimator.
Ok, how about this:

Both aces sets, decimator, phantom and millennium falcon. That plus the two started sets I got

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say to get:

Imperial Aces
Rebel Aces
Millennium Falcon
Slave I (You mentioned the Decimator so any large base Imperial ship works here)
Advanced (For Vader, but you can swap the small ship you like best into this slot, which seems to be the Phantom)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Advanced on its own is kind of weak sauce. Vader is good, but the rest of the pilots are kind of meh. Some fixes were released with the large Imperial Raider, but I doubt that's an initial investment you want to make.

Instead of the Advanced, get the base TIE Interceptor pack. That comes with the amazing Soontir Fel, who's very nearly a staple in almost every Imperial fighter build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Lesperance
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DailyRich wrote:
The Advanced on its own is kind of weak sauce. Vader is good, but the rest of the pilots are kind of meh. Some fixes were released with the large Imperial Raider, but I doubt that's an initial investment you want to make.

Instead of the Advanced, get the base TIE Interceptor pack. That comes with the amazing Soontir Fel, who's very nearly a staple in almost every Imperial fighter build.
^This is a better answer, but I was thinking for variety.

I almost always try to work Soontir Fel into my list, though, so the base Interceptor expansion w/ Imperial Aces has been one of my most loved purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heikki Laakkonen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go first with small ships and get Tie Advanced (check and proxy the fix in the Imperial Raider), Tie Interceptor Expansion pack (Imperial Aces is fine if more than one figure is needed), Rebel Aces and Y-Wing Expansion pack. For large ships Millennium Falcon and Decimator are fine choices (Firesprays are for Scum faction...).

I also advice you to check X-Wing squadron builders, they are nice for proxying purposes. I prefer http://xwing-builder.co.uk/build#.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, lots of options here. So do I only want 1 larger ship like the millennium falcon? At this point im looking at tie interceptor, decimator, rebel and imperial aces, and the millennium falcon.

Thoughts? And THANK YOU SO MUCH guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Field
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archibaldo wrote:
I would say to get:

Imperial Aces
Rebel Aces
Millennium Falcon
Slave I (You mentioned the Decimator so any large base Imperial ship works here)
Advanced (For Vader, but you can swap the small ship you like best into this slot, which seems to be the Phantom)

This!

I think you'll have much more fun with the Salve I than the Decimator. As for the last ship, there are lot's of good options - Advanced for Vader, X-Wing for Wedge, TIE for Howlrunner...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtfunhog wrote:
Archibaldo wrote:
I would say to get:

Imperial Aces
Rebel Aces
Millennium Falcon

This!

I think you'll have much more fun with the Salve I than the Decimator. As for the last ship, there are lot's of good options - Advanced for Vader, X-Wing for Wedge, TIE for Howlrunner...
Beautiful! I will take a look at my options for the last ship. Leanging towards either wedge or tie interceptor for soontir fel.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeberGeeter wrote:
Hmm, lots of options here. So do I only want 1 larger ship like the millennium falcon? At this point im looking at tie interceptor, decimator, rebel and imperial aces, and the millennium falcon.

I think you've got the right set there. Maybe swap the Decimator for Slave One? Maybe skip both and grab a TIE and another small Rebel ship? Either way, Falcon, Interceptor, and both Aces packs are a solid way to go in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
GeberGeeter wrote:

I think you've got the right set there. Maybe swap the Decimator for Slave One? Maybe skip both and grab a TIE and another small Rebel ship? Either way, Falcon, Interceptor, and both Aces packs are a solid way to go in my experience.
Thank you! Thinking about your last suggestion, What would you recommend for small ships? y wing maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy R
United States
Germantown
Ohio
flag msg tools
Nothing but the rain.
badge
Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends dimensions of time and space.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeberGeeter wrote:
Wiyum wrote:
GeberGeeter wrote:

Thank you! Thinking about your last suggestion, What would you recommend for small ships? y wing maybe?
In all honesty I wouldn't say there is a ship in the game that I would 100% avoid getting. If you like the look of the ship/have a soft spot for it etc. then I would say get that one. I myself love Y-Wings so of course I'd agree with your choice, but honestly the game is more fun when you play with favorite characters/ships, especially when starting out. If you want to get super competitive in tournaments and stuff then I would say branch out to the ships you think are less cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archibaldo wrote:
GeberGeeter wrote:
Wiyum wrote:
GeberGeeter wrote:

In all honesty I wouldn't say there is a ship in the game that I would 100% avoid getting. If you like the look of the ship/have a soft spot for it etc. then I would say get that one. I myself love Y-Wings so of course I'd agree with your choice, but honestly the game is more fun when you play with favorite characters/ships, especially when starting out. If you want to get super competitive in tournaments and stuff then I would say branch out to the ships you think are less cool.
Awesome advice, thank you. I think what I am hearing from most is that for the 5th ship, you really cant go wrong from the choices ive presented anyway. It is much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeberGeeter wrote:
Archibaldo wrote:
GeberGeeter wrote:
Wiyum wrote:
GeberGeeter wrote:

Awesome advice, thank you. I think what I am hearing from most is that for the 5th ship, you really cant go wrong from the choices ive presented anyway. It is much appreciated!
It is a fair point. My observation as one who has played a few times and is just now buying my initial purchase is that it is fun to play with ships you like and that I don't usually like playing large ships with the Empire. Might just be me, but I like the Falcon and Outrider, but not Slave One or the Decimator. I might like the Lambda, but for me, the Empire is most fun with an assortment of TIEs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls