Popular Tags: [View All]
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US Marine CorpsMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift SystemMicrobadge: E-reader
The pieces in Reinforcements: City Troops seem less flexible than those they replace. Particularly the Militia over the Footmen.
I find it easier to teach the game using City Troops rather than just using the basic game.

Does anyone know if the Command Troops and Shock Troops expansions will follow this trend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have thought using the city troops would make it harder to teach, as they mean you have to explain defence and non-capture move + jump too.

You could also make the argument that the city troops are more flexible as they give you more options than their base game equivalents in three out of four cases:

+---------+---------+ +---------+---------+
|Basegame | options | |Citytrps | options |
|---------+---------| |---------+---------|
|Footman | 9 (9) | |Militia | 18 (4) |
|Longbow | 8 (8) | |W.tower | 8 (8) |
|Champion | 16 (16) | |Baron | 10 (10) |
|Assassin | 6 (6) | |Thief | 42 (2) |
|TOTAL | 39 (39) | |TOTAL | 78 (24) |

...but they give you fewer capturing options (shown in parenthesis), that's true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: US Marine CorpsMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: Xia: Legends of a Drift SystemMicrobadge: E-reader
litendavid wrote:
I would have thought using the city troops would make it harder to teach, as they mean you have to explain defence and non-capture move + jump too.

You could also make the argument that the city troops are more flexible as they give you more options than their base game equivalents in three out of four cases:

|Basegame | options | |Citytrps | options |
|---------+---------| |---------+---------|
|Footman | 9 (9) | |Militia | 18 (4) |
|Longbow | 8 (8) | |W.tower | 8 (8) |
|Champion | 16 (16) | |Baron | 10 (10) |
|Assassin | 6 (6) | |Thief | 42 (2) |
|TOTAL | 39 (39) | |TOTAL | 78 (24) |

...but they give you fewer capturing options (shown in parenthesis), that's true.
The Assassin jump slides. It has quite a few more options than you listed.
But yes, I was referring to capture options to watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phogg wrote:
The Assassin jump slides. It has quite a few more options than you listed.
But yes, I was referring to capture options to watch.
True about the Assassin, but he'll still never have even nearly as many options as the thief.

Also I've equalled strikes with options which isn't entirely truthful, as those are only options if there is an actual target there. Nor does the table take into account the defence squares of the Watchtower.

The point was really just to show that you're right, it's a trade-off - choose the city troops for more options (which is what I would call flexibility, hence my initial confusion as to what you meant) but less hitting power.

From a gaming perspective I rather like this, as it gives me a real decision to put in relation with my gaming style. The alternative, that City Troops had the same balance but just different arrangements, seems more boring.

Since the Command Troops likely have command squares they will probably also have less attacking options than the base sets, otherwise they wouldn't be balanced.

I'm actually more curious of the Shock Troops - what will define those units? Perhaps they will be the ones with the same balance as their base set equivalents but merely different arrangements.

For Mystical troops I'm guessing they'll be using those skull squares. Or, maybe something entirely new?

Whatever the other expansions will contain I have a hard time seeing them being more interesting than City Troops. City Troops has replacements for the Footmen which means a real impact on the game from the very first turn. For all the other sets you might play out the entire battle without ever seeing any of the replaced units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls