Popular Tags: [View All]
andrew mason
United States
north canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks cool, but it seems from what I have seen so far that it's really a 2 player game masquerading as a 4 player game. I really hope not. Dividing up sides is so lame every time we have tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only two factions so, yeah, 2v2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Looks like it. Hopefully they'll add actua! rules to divide the responsibilites, because let's face it, War of the Ring "4p" is borderline lying, any 2p game can be played with 4 or 6 or 8....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my impression as well. Similar to War of the Ring which you can play with four players, but it doesn't really add anything (besides letting you spend time with your friends, which might be reason enough).

Until proven otherwise I'm viewing this as a two player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogdiz wrote:

And there's nothing wrong with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm excited that it's essentially a two-player game, because that means that it will be fully optimized for / best with two. I already have several galaxy-spanning epic-length games that need four or more players, and I'm very much looking forward to being able to have that experience with just two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Cogdiz wrote:

Of course not. I'm actually hoping it will be something akin to Twilight Struggle in space!

What my comment is aiming for is that I think FFG added team play rules to make it look more attractive. Especially considering the price tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Sasse
Germany
Waiblingen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be really surprised if there is a serious 3- or 4-player option that's not more than "we share the units"-window-dressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Alston
United States
Brevig Mission
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe they have it set up so that one player plays the ground campaign while the other player plays space campaign, or one player plays the combat portion of the game while another player plays the strategical/political aspect of it. I would really love if they could make it something other than a redressed 2 player game, but let's face it. I'll be buying it anyways...and they know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve_Alst0n wrote:
Maybe they have it set up so that one player plays the ground campaign while the other player plays space campaign, or one player plays the combat portion of the game while another player plays the strategical/political aspect of it. I would really love if they could make it something other than a redressed 2 player game, but let's face it. I'll be buying it anyways...and they know it.
The closer this is to the (2p) computer game, the better. I still play the old Rebellion, and love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be cool if team responsibilities were divided by domain - one Rebel player works on the political influence, and the other Rebel player does the military/economic gameplay. So maybe the Rebel military player doesn't interact so much with the Imperial political player, and vice versa, but it would give a solid reason for teammates to step away from the table to plan and strategize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tragic TheBlathering
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
franklincobb wrote:
Cogdiz wrote:

Well it is a deal breaker for me.. if it is a two player game then I am out.. which is a pity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also compare this to Queen's Gambit, which is also essentially a 2P game, where for 4 players the tasks of each side is split between two players and the four battlefields that exist are mainly divided between the two players and the hand limits are a bit modified to compensate for four players.

While it doesn't really change the game when comparing 2P to 4P, it is fun in both play variants. But then again I found War of the Ring fun, too with four players, since you can discuss strategy and moves, which is always fun (for me)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TragicTheBlathering wrote:
franklincobb wrote:
Cogdiz wrote:

Well it is a deal breaker for me.. if it is a two player game then I am out.. which is a pity.

Yeah, well they usually slather some 4-player team option on games like this to appease those who are in that boat.

For me, I end up in gaming groups of all sizes, so meaty options at every player count is right up my alley. And some of my favorites have been 2-player, or best at 2p (War of the Ring, Queen's Gambit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
River Vale
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
franklincobb wrote:
Cogdiz wrote:

Yeah, well they usually slather some 4-player team option on games like this to appease those who are in that boat.

For me, I end up in gaming groups of all sizes, so meaty options at every player count is right up my alley. And some of my favorites have been 2-player, or best at 2p (War of the Ring, Queen's Gambit)
Any gaming group size except 1 has everything required to play a 2-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Burton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe there will be two more factions, the Hutts and Sand People

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Schwarz
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
Support Fridays for Future!
badge
maybe on the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one....
mbmbmbmbmb
EWOKS! Why are there no Ewok minis?!!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Cogdiz wrote:

Not inherently, but for me personally, if it is 2 player, I don't know if I will be buying it. I already have LOTS of 2 player games, many of them Star Wars games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ok with it being 2 player only, if so. With a 3-4 hours playtime, I can't see organzing more than 1 opponent for that chunk of time on a regular basis...I'd rather play this many times with one friend, than 1 time with a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Naikelis
United States
Aurora
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
franklincobb wrote:
franklincobb wrote:
Cogdiz wrote:

Any gaming group size except 1 has everything required to play a 2-player game.
Well 3 technically would be difficult...unless you want to tell the third player to just watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattnaik wrote:

Well 3 technically would be difficult...unless you want to tell the third player to just watch.

"Dear Penthouse. I never thought I'd actually be writing you this letter, but..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Gravett
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
15 minutes into Rebellion and chill and they give you this look ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could the multiplayer aspect be organised in much the same way as 1812: The Invasion of Canada...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/94246/1812-invasion-cana...

...in which one player has the Redcoats, another the Canadian Militia and another the Indians. Each player has his own activation cards and reinforcements. But when he activates one or more of his own units, he can also activate those of his fellow players' units stacked along with them.

Might that work in Rebellion, for two players each focussing on ground or space forces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hismhs wrote:
Could the multiplayer aspect be organised in much the same way as 1812: The Invasion of Canada...
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/94246/1812-invasion-cana...

...in which one player has the Redcoats, another the Canadian Militia and another the Indians. Each player has his own activation cards and reinforcements. But when he activates one or more of his own units, he can also activate those of his fellow players' units stacked along with them.

Might that work in Rebellion, for two players each focussing on ground or space forces?
Something like that, or like in the COIN Series of games - where you have these tenuous alliances where two factions need one another but there still can only be one winner - would be cool. However, I don't really see it fit into the lore.

You could probably bend it to something similar to the card game with scum/imps on one side and rebs/smugglers (outcasts) on the other there doesn't seem to be anything to indicate this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Cubberley
United Kingdom
Luton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is exactly what I "feared" (though that's not exactly the right word really). I really hope this isn't just a two player game where forces are simply split and that there's a little more to it than that, but if that is what it is, then I'll be treating it as a 2 player and will likely only ever play it as such.

Exactly as I do War of the Ring...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |