Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Burano» Forums » Rules

Subject: If you cannot do A, B or C get a coin. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Osborne
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how this rule works.

Let's say I've done 2 actions and now I don't have enough money to do a third.

Do I get a coin and end my turn?


Thank you,

-Jonathan
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UncleMilo wrote:
I'm not sure how this rule works.

Let's say I've done 2 actions and now I don't have enough money to do a third.

Do I get a coin and end my turn?


Thank you,

-Jonathan
No.

You get one coin if on your turn you cannot perform any of the actions. In other words you "do" one action (which gives you a coin), but actually you do nothing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Osborne
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, though that means money is even tighter than we were playng.


That rule was placed oddly in the text which made it even more puzzling.

-Jonathan
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauve Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
More generally, my understanding is that you must pay for all moves at the start of your turn (thread). That is, if you want to do 0/1/2/3/4 moves then you 'get' +1/+1/-2/-5/-9 coins respectively (where +1 means "gain 1", and -2 means "pay 2").

With that clarification, the "note" on page 8 makes a lot more sense.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
More generally, my understanding is that you must pay for all moves at the start of your turn (thread). That is, if you want to do 0/1/2/3/4 moves then you 'get' +1/+1/-2/-5/-9 coins respectively (where +1 means "gain 1", and -2 means "pay 2").

With that clarification, the "note" on page 8 makes a lot more sense.
You pay for a move before you perform it. You do not pay for ALL moves before performing any. At least that's my understanding. Here is the example text:

Quote:
Example: The blue player began his turn by picking up a
house, and gained 1 coin from the bank. Then he
decided to make the second move and picked up another
house, and paid 3 coins to the bank. For his third move,
he chose to build a house on the main island with the cube in
his preparation area, and paid 3 coins to the bank. He
chose not to make the 4th move and therefore ended his turn.
These three moves cost 5 coins (1-3-3=-5) in total.
What was clarified in the other thread was that you must pay before a given move. So the correct text would be along the lines of:

Quote:
Example: The blue player began his turn by gaining 1 coin from the bank, then he picked up a house. He then paid 3 coins to the bank and
decided to pick up another house. For his third move, he paid another
3 coins to the bank to build a house on the main island with the cube in
his preparation area. He chose not to make the 4th move and therefore ended his turn. These three moves cost 5 coins (1-3-3=-5) in total.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauve Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
NikolasCo wrote:
More generally, my understanding is that you must pay for all moves at the start of your turn (thread). That is, if you want to do 0/1/2/3/4 moves then you 'get' +1/+1/-2/-5/-9 coins respectively (where +1 means "gain 1", and -2 means "pay 2").

With that clarification, the "note" on page 8 makes a lot more sense.
You pay for a move before you perform it. You do not pay for ALL moves before performing any. At least that's my understanding.
Re-readng the thread I linked to, I agree. Sorry for the confusion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Min Ling
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JonBen wrote:
More generally, my understanding is that you must pay for all moves at the start of your turn (thread). That is, if you want to do 0/1/2/3/4 moves then you 'get' +1/+1/-2/-5/-9 coins respectively (where +1 means "gain 1", and -2 means "pay 2").

What was clarified in the other thread was that you must pay before a given move. So the correct text would be along the lines of:

Example: The blue player began his turn by gaining 1 coin from the bank, then he picked up a house. He then paid 3 coins to the bank and
decided to pick up another house. For his third move, he paid another
3 coins to the bank to build a house on the main island with the cube in
his preparation area. He chose not to make the 4th move and therefore ended his turn. These three moves cost 5 coins (1-3-3=-5) in total.
I'm the PM of Burano.
Thank you for your kind answer!
It is totally correct!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grietens
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just cannot find a reason why you would prefer not to do anything for 1 coin, while you can do 1 action for 1 coin also. At least you could prepare a block. Only when your 3 preparation fields are full, then that's not possible. But then why would you not build one of those 3 prepared blocks?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls