Subject: Immediate offensive actions and fast runners rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Hello,

Although it's in the FAQ so I shouldn't question it, I don't understand why base runners only advance 2 bases no matter their speed on a successful Clutch:Single

The rule says that fast base runners advance 1 more base than the hit.
Clutch gives 1 Hit (so does QuickEye)

Based on the rules I would score a fast base runner on 1st base if I got a successful Clutch:Single, and I would advance the fast runner 2 bases on a QuickEye:Single.

Shouldn't this be added to the rules : "when resolving the hits from immediate actions on base runners, their speed is always ignored" ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this only applies to Clutch hits so your notation to the rulebook would be inaccurate. Clutch hits already get the benefit of not being able to be cancelled by other immediate actions so I see no need to have them allow fast runners to score from first. This still adheres to the rule for fast runners as they are still advancing one base more than a hit (2 bases on single, 3 on double).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Certain immediate actions ignore the speed of the base runners and others do not. It should be noted where these occur. Clutch is already very good and although Lorenzo Cane did score from first on a single in the World Series it is an unusual occurrence. I am working on some rare plays in the next group of expansions where some of those unusual events can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
Mikefitz wrote:
Certain immediate actions ignore the speed of the base runners and others do not. It should be noted where these occur. Clutch is already very good and although Lorenzo Cane did score from first on a single in the World Series it is an unusual occurrence. I am working on some rare plays in the next group of expansions where some of those unusual events can happen.
OK so can we make a list ?
QuickEye : speed is not ignored
Cluth : speed is ignored
... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kuehl
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I understand it:

Speed is ignored for:
-Runners entering the field from resolved hits and instant effects (like leadoff)
-Clutch
-Stolen base

Speed Triggers for:
-Runners already on the field moving from resolved hits and/or any listed instant effect specifically stating single, double, or triple (excluding clutch).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
tjkuehl wrote:
As far as I understand it:

Speed is ignored for:
-Runners entering the field from resolved hits and instant effects (like leadoff)
Yep. Those are hits; speed only affects base-runners.

Quote:
-Clutch
Yes, but it might be easier to think of it like this: for a clutch hit, every base-runner acts as if they are fast.

Quote:
-Stolen base
Yep. Even fast base-runners aren't fast enough to steal two bases in one go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what speed runner is placed for clutch and quick eye? Whatever the color is at the bottom of the card?

And the immediate action is not in lieu of the next threatened hit is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
So what speed runner is placed for clutch and quick eye? Whatever the color is at the bottom of the card?
Correct.

Quote:
And the immediate action is not in lieu of the next threatened hit is it?
No, you get both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls