Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu For President!Microbadge: SaltCon attendeeMicrobadge: I play with pink!Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector

My SO just got me the GOA expansion for our copy of Elder Sign (for my birthday! laugh ), which I am stoked to play!

I have set-it up and flipped (folded?) through the rule book, trying to familiarize myself with the rules before we play together. The instructions mention something about blessings and curses.

Now I know that blessings and curses are from the Unforeseen Forces expansion, but I am also aware that most of the UF expansion cannot be played with GOA and my understanding is GOA is generally considered the superior expansion.

But I was wondering: is there anyway to pick-up just curses and blessings (and those dice) without having to purchase the entire UF expansion for 20+ dollars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: “Yet feet that wandering have gone / Turn at last to home afar.” Christopher Tolkien, 1924-2020Microbadge: Middle-earth fan - I can read TengwarMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: The Silmarillion fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
Brett,

Gates was designed with the idea of mantaining compatibility with UF. Some adventures have split rewards offering you the choice to gain a Blessing, while other adventures have among the penalties Curses.

Additionally, all small cards are compatible, so that items like Holy Water will keep on working also with Gates.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Roll for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Auf den Spuren von Marco Polo fanMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fan
More investigators, more items, more monsters, more Ancient Ones, blessed&cursed...UF also fixes some of the Other Worlds locations by removing the Doom token from the rewards. If you really like EH, you should also buy UF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
All hail Xipuloxx the Unsound!
Microbadge: Citizenship Recognition - Level V - My God! It's Full of Stars!Microbadge: I spend more time on BGG than playing games!Microbadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: I log my plays with SPLU!Microbadge: The Geek Citizenship Recognition Program Rolls On!
I think out of everything in UF, it's only the Museum Adventure cards (about 42 of those), the replacement Entrance cards (4 of those) and the Mythos cards (29 of those) which will not be not used if playing Gates of Arkham.

Everything else can be added in: items, allies, investigators etc. And of course the Blessed and Cursed dice! And in fact it won't break the game if you mix in some of the Mythos cards too, and I usually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: I Covet More Dark Stone!Microbadge: Shadowrun: Crossfire fan - MageMicrobadge: Argent: The Consortium fanMicrobadge: Punching Cardboard podcast fan
galaxybear wrote:

But I was wondering: is there anyway to pick-up just curses and blessings (and those dice) without having to purchase the entire UF expansion for 20+ dollars?
Two D6 in different colours.

1-3 = investigations
4 = Lore
5 = Death
6 = Terror
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Bruder Tod, zu unserem Gastmahl, steig hervor aus Staub und Erden. Alles Leben ist ein Sterben, alles Sterben ist ein Werden.
Microbadge: “Yet feet that wandering have gone / Turn at last to home afar.” Christopher Tolkien, 1924-2020Microbadge: Middle-earth fan - I can read TengwarMicrobadge: Tolkien fanMicrobadge: The Silmarillion fanMicrobadge: Bisexual
AceAceBaby wrote:
galaxybear wrote:

Two D6 in different colours.

1-3 = investigations
4 = Lore
5 = Death
6 = Terror
Or you can use the dice coming with Age of War (same engine, similar results - at least, I remember that when testing AoW, I used the ES dice, so...)

Basically, Blessings and Curses are the same as normal ES green dice just in another color, so, you already have the model. Then, anything can be used as a good proxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Cthulhu For President!Microbadge: SaltCon attendeeMicrobadge: I play with pink!Microbadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: Copper Board Game Collector

Thank you for your replies.

It looks like UF isn't as superfluous as I thought. If I see it cheap maybe I'll get it!

I thought about just using substitute dice, but there are cards that correspond with blessings and curses, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Brass fanMicrobadge: Roll for the Galaxy fanMicrobadge: Terraforming Mars fanMicrobadge: Auf den Spuren von Marco Polo fanMicrobadge: DC Comics Deck-Building Game fan
galaxybear wrote:

It looks like UF isn't as superfluous as I thought. If I see it cheap maybe I'll get it!

I thought about just using substitute dice, but there are cards that correspond with blessings and curses, correct?
Yes, you need some cards to remind you if you are blessed or cursed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
galaxybear wrote:

A white piece of cardboard for the blessing status, and a black piece of cardboard for curses, and it's done.

Anyhoo, yes, US is not superfluous at all; it's also nice to mix Museum and Arkham for some different experiences (in this way you can go through a whole spectrum of challenges)

Honestly, I don't play in the Museum any longer, but I'm still happy to have UF in the mix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Miller
United States
Logan
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Scarlet Witch wrote:

A white piece of cardboard for the blessing status, and a black piece of cardboard for curses, and it's done.

Anyhoo, yes, US is not superfluous at all; it's also nice to mix Museum and Arkham for some different experiences (in this way you can go through a whole spectrum of challenges)

Honestly, I don't play in the Museum any longer, but I'm still happy to have UF in the mix
Cool, this is good to know. Thank you for your input Julia. I do like how this game is ripe for home-rules, variants and other ways to make your own game out of it. Looks like UF has some good additions to add.

In the mean time, thanks all for advice how to play with blessings and curses without UF expansion.

Thanks!

-Brett
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls