Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Folklore vs. Kingdom Death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
I know Folklore is supposed to be a great RPG-style game, but so is Kingdom Death: Monster. Folklore also has a Choose-Your-Own-Story mechanic that KD:M seems to lack, but KD:M probably has certain mechanics that Folklore lacks. They are both games with a lot of breadth, and an All-in Kickstarter pledge for Folklore costs approximately the same as KD:M core game.

So which is likely to be better and why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Viper5121 wrote:
I know Folklore is supposed to be a great RPG-style game, but so is Kingdom Death: Monster. Folklore also has a Choose-Your-Own-Story mechanic that KD:M seems to lack, but KD:M probably has certain mechanics that Folklore lacks. They are both games with a lot of breadth, and an All-in Kickstarter pledge for Folklore costs approximately the same as KD:M core game.

So which is likely to be better and why?
It is very hard to say as we still don't really know how the stories of Folklore are played. Gameplay will only be clear once the geame is delivered, I'm afraid.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
solod

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
I don't really know much about Kingdom Death but they seem to be totally different kind of games. Yes, they both appear to be 'story telling' games but clearly are very different in feel and mechanics.

If you like D&D, go for FTA. If you want a game that appears to be about survival and resource management go for Kingdom Death.

The learning curve for Kingdom Death looks to be fairly steep (220 page rule book??!) and quite a bit of assembly required. It does looks sweet. Folklore on the other hand is designed to be able to start playing almost immediately by playing the first chapter which serves also as a tutorial.

Again, they seem to be very different game so you probably would be best served by checking out gameplay videos of both and see what appeals most to you.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
stutzj wrote:
Again, they seem to be very different game so you probably would be best served by checking out gameplay videos of both and see what appeals most to you.
Except that there aren't any gameplay vids of Folklore. Only general explanations and one battle example.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the beta rules and a sample adventure still on the KS page?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Folklore seems much more casual with simpler rules compared to Kingdom Death. It really depends how heavy of an experience you're looking for. If you want something that is easy to pick up and play solo or up to 5 players then get Folklore. If you want to be immersed in a game but requires assembling complex miniatures and digesting a 200+ page rule book and have a solid gaming group willing to play with you then get Kingdom Death.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wetworks wrote:
Folklore seems much more casual with simpler rules compared to Kingdom Death. It really depends how heavy of an experience you're looking for. If you want something that is easy to pick up and play solo or up to 5 players then get Folklore. If you want to be immersed in a game but requires assembling complex miniatures and digesting a 200+ page rule book and have a solid gaming group willing to play with you then get Kingdom Death.
KDM rules are actually quite simple. The full game rules are all written between pages 40-83 and even in that there are several pages of full page artwork (beautiful artwork). Before that is the prologue, or tutorial in most video games, that walks you through playing as soon as you open the box. If you proxy the minis, you can do just that. Open the box, turn to page 1, and just start playing. Pages 84 to 99 are just lookup tables for certain rolls (injuries and hunt events). Pages 100+ are story events (and tons more art). until you get to the several final pages of glossary. The 220 page rule book may seem daunting, but it's really not once you know what it's comprised of. I would say this is a medium weight game as far as rules complexity goes. The confusion comes in the many, many ways that cards interact with eachother and people not sure how they should work. The core rules are not bad at all. The fight phase is the biggest part of the rules and it basically boils down to a monster phase and then a player phase.

Monster phase is:

1. start turn (any start of turn effects)
2. draw AI card
3. end turn (any end of turn effects)

Player phase is:

1. get 1 move and 1 action
2. spend move and action in any order

That's it. The complexity comes in the many AI cards and gear cards for the player. The strategy is deep too. The way the lion AI cards make him act and the way the butcher AI cards make him act are totally different. If you use the same strategy to fight every boss, you're going to have a bad time. You must learn the bosses strategy and adapt to it. This makes the first fight with a boss very harrowing. Do I bring in my A-team and risk an all party wipe (or serious injuries) because we don't know how to fight the boss, or do I bring in my rookies who are almost assuredly going to die but gives me a chance to scout the boss, see how he fights, and come up with a plan to kill him next time.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls