Subject: Shards on Soul Gem? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Garris
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Do shards on a Soul Gem artifact that you control remain on the card if an effect causes the Soul Gem to return to the city?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good question...

Forge the Infinity Gauntlet - Twist wrote:
Starting to your left and going clockwise, the first player with an Infinity Gem Artifact card in play or in their discard pile chooses one of those Infinity Gems to enter the city. Then put a Shard on each Infinity Gem in the city.
The Soul Gem Reads
Artifact - Whenever you defeat a Villain, put a Shard on Soul Gem from the supply. Once per turn, you get Attack equal to the number of Shards on Soul Gem.

This can really go either way.

Since the card text reads that the shards are on the soul gem, you could say yes they would. since they are attached to the card.

But on the other hand the twist rule just says put one of the gems in the city.

Tough call

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misfiring Chong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tgarris wrote:
Do shards on a Soul Gem artifact that you control remain on the card if an effect causes the Soul Gem to return to the city?
Nope. The Soul Gem enters the city and activates its Ambush effect, which will provide it shards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it going either way as well, but I feel the answer is that it loses all those shards when it leaves your possession to enter the city. I have a couple of reasons for my answer:

First, you're only making it harder on yourself if they stay on there. The gem itself starts as a 6 Power villain and it gain +1 for every shard on it. Add to that, it's going to gain at least 1 more for it's ambush effect.

Second, and I feel this might be even more important to point out, when you defeat the gem, it loses all the shards it had at that time (you gain only one of those to your personal bank and the rest go back into the shard supply). It would make sense that if it loses all of its shards when it changes hands from the villains to the heroes then it would also apply to when it changes hands the other direction.

Just my $0.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
I can see it going either way as well, but I feel the answer is that it loses all those shards when it leaves your possession to enter the city. I have a couple of reasons for my answer:

First, you're only making it harder on yourself if they stay on there. The gem itself starts as a 6 Power villain and it gain +1 for every shard on it. Add to that, it's going to gain at least 1 more for it's ambush effect.

Second, and I feel this might be even more important to point out, when you defeat the gem, it loses all the shards it had at that time (you gain only one of those to your personal bank and the rest go back into the shard supply). It would make sense that if it loses all of its shards when it changes hands from the villains to the heroes then it would also apply to when it changes hands the other direction.
I had this thought too. In this case, the shards on the Soul gem act as counters buffing the artifact, they are not actually shards to spend. Thematically, it would make sense that this buffed Gem leaves your possession and is still as strong when it enters the city.

But this would make it insanely tough especially when it enters the city.

I suppose one way to look at it is if you choose to discard the artifact. You lose all of the shards and it goes into your discard pile. Then, the scheme twist puts it into the city and ambush effects are applied.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is the correct course of action

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the shards do not stay on the Soul Gem. When the Soul Gem re-enters the City, it is no longer an Artifact. Therefore, the Artifact ability on the Soul Gem card is no longer applicable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
I think the shards do not stay on the Soul Gem. When the Soul Gem re-enters the City, it is no longer an Artifact. Therefore, the Artifact ability on the Soul Gem card is no longer is applicable.
Yes! This! This is the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls