Discworld: Ankh-Morpork» Forums » General

Subject: Discworld: Ankh-Morpork of Mission Red Planet (Second edition)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Haz Dhim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Lately I've been looking around for some light-medium games that strike the balance between being fun and interactive enough to entice non-gamers and still being interesting enough in case some of the more seasoned gamers among our friends are present as well (myself included).

Discworld and Mission Red Planet both catched my interest. However, since they're both light and chaotic card driven area-control games, I was wondering which one would be the better addition to my collection. I try to maintain a strict 'one game for every kind of itch'-policy for my game collection, you see

So besides the difference in player counts, in your view is there any reason why one game stands out over the other? Or why one is more suited for a certain kind of occasion/group of people than the other? And are both games indeed relatively similar or do they 'feel' different enough to warrant both being in my collection?

My thanks for your thoughts on the matter

PS: also posted this in the Mission: Red Planet forums, apologies for crossposting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played MRP, but I really like Ankh-Morpork. It's chaotic, goofy fun and captures the theme wonderfully. I've played it with gamers and non-gamers alike and am pleased with the results in both groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Ankh-Morpork more, but I only played the first edition of Mission Red Planet once. I liked it, and would play it more if I got the chance.

Something that stands out (if I still remember MRP correctly) is that in Ankh-Morpork, each player starts with a secret objective, with some of the possible ones being left out of the game. So you have to work towards your objective while not being too obvious, and avoid furthering others' objectives while they're being sneaky as well.
If you get your secret objective before anyone else, you win the game early. Otherwise, it ends when the deck runs out, and you count points.

Unless one of the players is Vimes, and has been playing to make the deck run out. In that case, he wins.

This just to say that I think that there's a cool element of social deduction and assymetrical play in this game that I've rarely seen in games of this kind.

And with that said, I would need to play MRP again, especially the second edition, to be able to compare fully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, a note: Ankh-Morpork is out of print, and pretty unlikely to be reprinted, so might be harder to get a new copy. I'm not sure if that influences your decision or not, but thought I'd mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haz Dhim
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Phelanpt wrote:
Also, a note: Ankh-Morpork is out of print, and pretty unlikely to be reprinted, so might be harder to get a new copy. I'm not sure if that influences your decision or not, but thought I'd mention it.
My local game store still has some copies in stock for the moment, so that's not an issue. But thanks for the heads up, guess it's pretty much now or never should I decide to buy discworld then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Roy
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaedr wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:
My local game store still has some copies in stock for the moment, so that's not an issue. But thanks for the heads up, guess it's pretty much now or never should I decide to buy discworld then.
When it was first announced that they had lost the license, I went to my game store and picked it up.

They have replaced it, but I don't know whether any others have been sold.

So at least a couple of months ago, it was easily obtainable by the game stores.

That could change drastically, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United States
Satellite of Love
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Doctor of PhilosophyMicrobadge: 5 Year Geek VeteranMicrobadge: Omnis singulus exemplum Declarationem Libertatis fuerit frugalis or Every single extra copy of the Declaration of Independence has been thriftedMicrobadge: Silver RPG CollectorMicrobadge: Level 03 BGG poster
Online stores (like Amazon) still seem to have the Mayfair edition in stock - although I have no idea if this is going to change anytime soon.

To answer the OP, Discworld is immensely fun for me (a big fan of the series) and for those I have played with - who are not necessarily familiar with the books.

The game has a nice combination of deduction (through hidden character cards/winning objectives) and luck/randomness. In some games, the luck factor might be a huge turnoff - but in this game, it really fits both the theme and game mechanics. This is not a game that really should have tournaments and "metas." Instead, this is a game that is purely fun ... which is what games should be! To make a long story short, this is a fantastic game that is easy to teacher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls