Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephanie Gustafsson
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I love high heels.Microbadge: Kamikaze gamer - if I can't win, I'll take you down with me! BANZAI!!!Microbadge: Kingdom Death fan - Flower KnightMicrobadge: Resident Evil fanMicrobadge: Graphic Designer
I managed to pick up a copy at Essen but comparing the cards to my previous 3 sets. The Oktoberfest cards are a smaller size the the previous printed expansions. You cannot play Oktoberfest un-sleeved with the other expansions. I sleeve mine however it is still slightly noticible in clear sleeves but I refuse to pay for another whole set of opaque sleeves to sleeve 4 boxes of Tanto Cuore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN CURRY
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Don't flirt with her
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty disappointing news. I usually use clear sleeves too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
If it is noticeable in clear sleeves, this is a dealbreker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Gustafsson
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Microbadge: I love high heels.Microbadge: Kamikaze gamer - if I can't win, I'll take you down with me! BANZAI!!!Microbadge: Kingdom Death fan - Flower KnightMicrobadge: Resident Evil fanMicrobadge: Graphic Designer
If it helps, the set integrates best in chunks as you need a certain amount of Oktoberfest cards that combo together to be off any use. Have one or two from Oktoberfest and the rest from other sets doesn't really work. Kind of like the three sisters in base tanto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QC
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve clear, so I will be extremely disappointed if this is the case with my games, particularly since it's already such a long delay on Oktoberfest - we shouldn't have to deal with quality issues too. I feel like if an expansion doesn't have the same size cards as the base game it's meant to integrate with, it would be perfectly reasonable for us to expect our other cards to be replaced, as IDW did when the Machi Koro expansion cards were a different size from the base game.

How big is the size difference? Can you post a comparison pic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christel Puech
France
Sauve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope at least the two reprint of the expansions : Expanding the house and Romantic Vacation, have the size of the original print of Tanto Cuore Base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QC
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I contacted Japanime Games about this and they hadn't been aware of the issue, but have confirmed that it is indeed the case. They are following up with the manufacturer about what happened and Toni said she'll let me know what they decide to do for people who already own previous printings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hey everybody! Today Rahdo runs through...Microbadge: Foamcore box insert crafterMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my gamesMicrobadge: Wheaton's Law
Just received the reprint of TC1 and Oktoberfest and both sets have the exact same size cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
QC
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
Just received the reprint of TC1 and Oktoberfest and both sets have the exact same size cards.
Both sets of the new prints have the same size cards, but do they match the card size of the original prints? I believe this was the issue, not that different games in the new prints had different sizes. (ie. the reprint of TC1 has smaller cards than the original print of TC1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Martin
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the first run of the original three sets, and the card size of Oktoberfest is not the same. The Oktoberfest cards look to be the same width but they are noticibly not as tall when placed side-by-side. If you use opaque sleeves you probably won't notice when the cards are all mixed, but they would be questionable in clear sleeves and not acceptable at all unsleeved as the new cards would clearly stand out in a deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Curry
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just checked mine and you're right, it's about 1/16" shorter and maybe the thickness of a card narrower. Mine are in clear sleeves and it's barely noticeable. I had to put the new one on top of the other and line it up just right to even notice. I doubt I ever would have noticed if I didn't see this thread. It's not a deal breaker if you sleeve, but I could see how it might be an issue if you don't sleeve and you plan on mixing the sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone curious... new print on top of the original print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christel Puech
France
Sauve
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this picture.

The difference is very tiny so even with clear sleeves cards I think i will not see the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wow. That height difference is just large enough to make me go crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I just got my copy last night and sent this email. Toni wasn't as apologetic to me. I've had the following email exchange:
Quote:
I just recieved my copy of oktoberfest today and I'm a little bit annoyed.
I own all three of the previous sets and the cards are all the same size. Oktoberfest's cards are noticably smaller.
I first noticed this when I got the promos out. Having got the big box i had all the promos, but when I stacked them I noticed many didn't match in size. Upon further investigation I found it was just the cards in this newest print run for oktoberfest (both the main box and the promos), all the promos from the original sets were the right size.
The cards from the oktoberfest run are all 1mm shorter on the long edge, and just the tinyest bit smaller on the thin edge.
Why did this happen? Why are the cards not the same size as the previous print runs?
Toni replied
Quote:
Hello! All new printings and editions of Tanto Cuore will be printed in the new size. We realize that some collectors care very much about the size of their editions being consistent. So for collectors such as yourself we are prepared to offer you replacements sets of Tanto Cuore Editions 1-3 for $10 each. For $30 all of your collection can be the same size. If this is something you would like to do, please let me know and we can get bill your existing Japanime Games account or create a new one for this order.
Now this wouldn't be much of an issue as I'd gladly re-buy the game for that price if I didn't have to pay the postage (as why should I, it was a fair assumption the cards would be the same) - there's an issue though. I got the big box so have ALL the promos (barring Annete Cuore). The promos I got were mixed sizes between the old larger format and the new smaller format. So I just sent this reply and am awaiting the response
Quote:
When was this print size change mentioned? I looked at the kickstarter and I couldn't see any mention of it. And its a normal assumption to think that this wouldn't be changed.
As it's not because I'm a collector that I care. I care because it's a deck building game, and what you've done is made decks look uneven when playing combined games with the earlier printed sets.
Why did you do it? As there seems to be no reason other than reducing costs a little while annoying older customers so you could extort more money from them for the newer prints of the game.
And even if I did buy the old sets in the new print size, the promos I got for them due to getting the big box, are still in the larger size, and i doubt you would replace them for new smaller versions. Although if you would replace the promos with some of the new size, i would gladly pay to get the newer print run of the original sets.
I did buy 1200 opaque pink sleeves with my order so it's not as bad in my case. But it's still damn annoying and has got to be against some consumer law somewhere to mislead customers like this then ask for more money to set it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Gustafsson
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Its definitely misleading. If this was MTG or another big card game, this set would have to recalled and reprinted. Can you just imagine everyones face, if they bought an expansion to say Arkham Horror or Android: Netrunner and the publisher slightly changed the card size on everything without warning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Hey everybody! Today Rahdo runs through...Microbadge: Foamcore box insert crafterMicrobadge: 2019 Silver SupporterMicrobadge: I use Board Game Stats to log my gamesMicrobadge: Wheaton's Law
Unfortunately, Japanime is not set up to handle that sort of recall. They don't have enough customers for it to scale as well as in MTG either. If it were something I cared about, I think their offer of $10 replacement sets would be rather attractive since the alternative would be for them to say that it doesn't affect gameplay and give you the "privlege" of rebuying the sets from them at $50 a piece (+ S/H).

I definitely grant you that it's weird that they changed the card size in the first place. Makes me wonder if they had to switch to a different printer for some reason, adding to the production delay on the newer sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have original prints of the first three sets and just received Oktoberfest in the mail today (it was being held up for awhile because of a pre-order). The Oktoberfest cards aren't even close to the same size as the first three sets, making it impossible to bridge shuffle mixed sets. This is very annoying. I've had the same problem with Trains and Dark Gothic expansions being different sizes as the base sets as well. That $10 replacement deal sounds pretty good, but does anyone know how much the shipping cost is? Also, is there any sort of verification process of ownership of prior sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was ther a solution to your issue with the big box promos being different sizes? Or did they only offer replacements for the main game and expansions for a small fee?

Im curious because I too have the big box, and all the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:
Unfortunately, Japanime is not set up to handle that sort of recall. They don't have enough customers for it to scale as well as in MTG either. If it were something I cared about, I think their offer of $10 replacement sets would be rather attractive since the alternative would be for them to say that it doesn't affect gameplay and give you the "privlege" of rebuying the sets from them at $50 a piece (+ S/H).

I definitely grant you that it's weird that they changed the card size in the first place. Makes me wonder if they had to switch to a different printer for some reason, adding to the production delay on the newer sets.

Im thinking it has to do with card sleeves. I read on another forum that some of the mtg size card sleeves are just slightly too short. The cards were sticking out the top.

But this is just a wild assumption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Gregor

Wells
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ForceGaia wrote:
I just got my copy last night and sent this email. Toni wasn't as apologetic to me. I've had the following email exchange:
Quote:
I just recieved my copy of oktoberfest today and I'm a little bit annoyed.
I own all three of the previous sets and the cards are all the same size. Oktoberfest's cards are noticably smaller.
I first noticed this when I got the promos out. Having got the big box i had all the promos, but when I stacked them I noticed many didn't match in size. Upon further investigation I found it was just the cards in this newest print run for oktoberfest (both the main box and the promos), all the promos from the original sets were the right size.
The cards from the oktoberfest run are all 1mm shorter on the long edge, and just the tinyest bit smaller on the thin edge.
Why did this happen? Why are the cards not the same size as the previous print runs?
Toni replied
Quote:
Hello! All new printings and editions of Tanto Cuore will be printed in the new size. We realize that some collectors care very much about the size of their editions being consistent. So for collectors such as yourself we are prepared to offer you replacements sets of Tanto Cuore Editions 1-3 for $10 each. For $30 all of your collection can be the same size. If this is something you would like to do, please let me know and we can get bill your existing Japanime Games account or create a new one for this order.
Now this wouldn't be much of an issue as I'd gladly re-buy the game for that price if I didn't have to pay the postage (as why should I, it was a fair assumption the cards would be the same) - there's an issue though. I got the big box so have ALL the promos (barring Annete Cuore). The promos I got were mixed sizes between the old larger format and the new smaller format. So I just sent this reply and am awaiting the response
Quote:
When was this print size change mentioned? I looked at the kickstarter and I couldn't see any mention of it. And its a normal assumption to think that this wouldn't be changed.
As it's not because I'm a collector that I care. I care because it's a deck building game, and what you've done is made decks look uneven when playing combined games with the earlier printed sets.
Why did you do it? As there seems to be no reason other than reducing costs a little while annoying older customers so you could extort more money from them for the newer prints of the game.
And even if I did buy the old sets in the new print size, the promos I got for them due to getting the big box, are still in the larger size, and i doubt you would replace them for new smaller versions. Although if you would replace the promos with some of the new size, i would gladly pay to get the newer print run of the original sets.
I did buy 1200 opaque pink sleeves with my order so it's not as bad in my case. But it's still damn annoying and has got to be against some consumer law somewhere to mislead customers like this then ask for more money to set it right.

Are you sure your big box promos were different sizes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls