Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Win conditions - static or diverse? (Card game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark dark
msg tools
For my card game that's inspired from Magic/Hearthstone, I'm going to have different races with different abilities, strengths and weaknesses.

I'm thinking about taking it a step further than just 'reduce opponents life to 0' for win conditions.

One of my ideas was to have an "assassination" mechanic, where instead of going for the life total of the opponent, you can try and kill their king to win the game. They'll be rules and counters to this, but that's just so you can see what I'm thinking of. This would be a tactic that would be available for all players to use against one another if they saw fit.

However, this got me thinking, what about win conditions that are unique to the race you are playing? For example, the Undead race is dependant primarily on the "graveyard" to raise their most powerful units. Well, if I was playing against them as Humans, a viable strat would be to simply not play any minions right away, and instead just tech out, and drop huge creatures and crush them in one swift blow.

To counter this, the Undead have a Disease function, where they don't tech out equipment, but battlefield debuffs. If they get to the last stage of this research, they either win outright, or a debuff is applied to the opposing players health, where they take massive damage each turn until they die.

Food for thought

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark dark
msg tools
No opinions on this?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Those mostly seem like different strategies, rather than different victory conditions. But that there's anything wrong with that, but it still sounds like you're working toward the same end goal, not diversifying goals.

Alternatives might include something like getting certain combinations of cards out/keeping them out for x time, winning x battles, stashing x resources toward a project, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ForestDingo wrote:
No opinions on this?


My opinion is that 3 hours is too short a wait before bumping a thread.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark dark
msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
Those mostly seem like different strategies, rather than different victory conditions. But that there's anything wrong with that, but it still sounds like you're working toward the same end goal, not diversifying goals.

Alternatives might include something like getting certain combinations of cards out/keeping them out for x time, winning x battles, stashing x resources toward a project, etc.


You're right, they are different strategies. I would ideally like two playstyles for each race. One that is their main strat, and one that can somewhat counter what their hard weaknesses are.

Those are good ideas. I suppose to have an official win condition then, the requirements have to be the same, and available to all races equally. In that sense, I don't think certain combination of cards would work (as each faction has different cards/resources, etc), but winning x amount of battles could. I was thinking of a "fortification" system as a victory condition as well, which would be like building up resources..

Good stuff, thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark dark
msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
ForestDingo wrote:
No opinions on this?


My opinion is that 3 hours is too short a wait before bumping a thread.


Don't trigger me with your micro aggressions, bro.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ForestDingo wrote:
For my card game that's inspired from Magic/Hearthstone, I'm going to have different races with different abilities, strengths and weaknesses.

I'm thinking about taking it a step further than just 'reduce opponents life to 0' for win conditions.

One of my ideas was to have an "assassination" mechanic, where instead of going for the life total of the opponent, you can try and kill their king to win the game. They'll be rules and counters to this, but that's just so you can see what I'm thinking of. This would be a tactic that would be available for all players to use against one another if they saw fit.

However, this got me thinking, what about win conditions that are unique to the race you are playing? For example, the Undead race is dependant primarily on the "graveyard" to raise their most powerful units. Well, if I was playing against them as Humans, a viable strat would be to simply not play any minions right away, and instead just tech out, and drop huge creatures and crush them in one swift blow.

To counter this, the Undead have a Disease function, where they don't tech out equipment, but battlefield debuffs. If they get to the last stage of this research, they either win outright, or a debuff is applied to the opposing players health, where they take massive damage each turn until they die.

Food for thought



I'd suggest looking at other LCGs & CCGs.

Here's some examples.

Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game
Each player controls a racial faction in the galaxy: Human, Minbari, Narn, Centauri are the main 4. They've released others later on; but 4 factions was big enough for their first release ... I'd suggest you pick a small number too. Each faction has a different set of characters, ships, etc.

You win by gaining a certain amount of "Victory Points." One of the game's resources is "Power", and up to a certain degree, you can count that as Victory Points.

However, there are cards called "Agenda", and these cards award you with Victory points through various means. Some Agenda are racial-faction specific. Most are not, but depending on the conditions of the Agenda, one or two of the racial-factions are pre-disposed to achieve it.


Deadlands: Doomtown
Each player controls a faction in the town: Blackjacks, Lawdogs, Collegium, Texas Rangers, Whateleys, etc. They started with 3, and pretty quickly built it up to .... ummm ... I think it was 5 or 6 in the first year.

Each faction has a different set of characters, and they tend to have certain strengths, like: the Blackjacks are outlaws, so they have abilities that let them do sneaky stuff; the Lawdogs are "cops", so they tend to exert more control over the town; the Collegium are mad scientists (steampunk), so they make flamethrowers and plasma guns; the Whateleys are magic-using hucksters; the Texas Rangers hunt down stuff.

You win by having more "Victory Points" than any other player's "Influence". Typically, Influence is concentrated around your powerful characters ... so eliminating those characters via combat becomes the main theme of the game.

However, there are many other ways to gain Victory Points. The Collegium can get VPs by building high difficulty gadgets. The Texas Rangers can get VPs by killing the scary weird critters in the game. The Lawdogs can get VPs by putting outlaws into Jail, and then "disposing them" through the Courthouse.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like a variety of ways to win. One of my favorite features in Nexus Ops is the secret missions mechanic. Usually keeps a game fast with some unexpectedness.

Probably makes design / playtest / balancing more complex.

Edit: this is also the opposite of many coop games where there are many ways to LOSE but only 1 way to win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.