Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heya, long story short, I need a 15-book bibliography list about Robert E. Lee as one of my history classes homework.
I've wanted to include the pages from the above mentioned encyclopedia, as I've already ordered it but it won't arrive in time.
So I was wondering, is it possible for anyone here that might have that book, to look up and let me know on what pages is Lee mentioned, and also what is the place of the publishing (that two infos I can't get online). Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kallio
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the First Edition, 1992.

Harper Collins Publishers, Inc
10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

The article on Robert E Lee is on pages 431-432
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Etien "The Most Interesting Gamer in the World"
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
1/114th Air Assault
badge
Huey's Forward
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure Douglas Southall Freeman's Robert E. Lee (4 Vols.) is on there. Standard Work my friend.

I have an original set (missing Vol. I) inherited from my grandmother, so a 1st Printing. Need to hit eBay to search for Vol. I one of these days.

There is also a condensed single volume version.

[I 2nd the comment on Encyclopedias and Dictionaries are not acceptable as good bibliographical sources. However, it can be used oftentimes to locate good acceptable sources.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
United States
Colchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smic wrote:
[I 2nd the comment on Encyclopedias and Dictionaries are not acceptable as good bibliographical sources. However, it can be used oftentimes to locate good acceptable sources.]
Exactly right. I will add that the book you need for this purpose is Gary Gallagher (ed.), _Lee: The Soldier_. It includes an appendix: "The R.E. Lee 200: An Annotated Bibliography of Essential Books on Lee's Military Career."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the warnings & thanks Paulo for the information. This time around its only a bibliography list, so the prof told us its ok to use encyclopedias (even encouraged it).

I thought about putting Freeman on the list but I have the same problem - since I can't find it for free online/in library, I don't have all the data needed - I think I only miss the city of publishing.

Problem is with all these sources now I want to read them instead of studying egypt/greece/rome for my exams. Oh well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the point of building a bibliography of books you haven't read?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockhopper01 wrote:
It's an assignment.

One of my struggles in school, and life, is that I just never consider that to be a good enough reason.

Quote:
Professors assign bibliographies as assignments all the time, particularly very early in the class for later research projects.
THAT I can understand.

If the assignment is to get started on collecting your materials and turn in a list of what you're planning to read, then I get it. Thanks for the answer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James O'Keefe
Germany
Pressath
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
The Dude Abides
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
What's the point of building a bibliography of books you haven't read?
It demonstrates you ability as a student to figure out what the relevant and most important literature on a topic is. You don't necessarily have to agree or be super familiar with any of the theses--you just have to present the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to run searches is Amazon.com books for a list. Then query the internet for each book for reviews/criticism. That may be enough to get you pointed in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Saxton
United States
Affton (St. Louis)
Missouri
flag msg tools
After all, gas can is my middle name. Eh, not really.
Microbadge: Got My Kicks on the 66!Microbadge: GEV fanMicrobadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: OGREMicrobadge: One Ring to rule them all...
A good solid bibliography can be a godsend!

In 1990, a massive new work was published by a noted railroad authority, on the types of railroads that I find most interesting (George Hilton's "American Narrow Gauge Railroads"). I went through his bibliography, and made a master list of all the commercially available titles he used in his research, with the idea that someday I would acquire them all. At first, my list was well over 500 titles long, and today there is just one out-of-print book left on that list - yet through various methods of outreach and research, hidden, previously unknown titles keep coming to light! It's an addiction ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreea P
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Mack_me_Bucko wrote:
A good solid bibliography can be a godsend!... At first, my list was well over 500 titles long, and today there is just one out-of-print book left on that list... It's an addiction ...
Sounds more like a curse than a godsend... but hey, whatever floats your boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the full list, if anyone might find it helpful:

SOURCES
1. Alexander, P. Edward, Fighting for the Confederacy: The Personal Recollections of General Edward Porter Alexander, New York: Skyhorse Publishing, 2014.
2. Lee, E. Robert Jr., The Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee, Ithaca: Burford Books, 1998.
3. Lee, Fitzhugh, General Lee, Boston: Da Capo Press, 1994.
LITERATURE
4. Conelly, Thomas L, The Marble Man: Robert E. Lee and His Image in American Society, Louisana: Random House, 1977.
5. Davis, Burke, Gray Fox: Robert E. Lee and the Civil War, New York: Rinehart fr Company, 1956.
6. Davis, C. William, Crucible of Command: Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee – The War they Fought, The Peace They Forged, Boston: Da Capo Press, 2014.
7. Dupuy, N. Trevor; Johnson, Curt; Bongard, L. David, The Harper Encyclopedia of Military Biography, New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 1992. 431-432
8. Emory, M. Thomas, Robert E. Lee: A Biography, New York: W. W. Norton & Company, 1997.
9. Field, Ron, Robert E. Lee: The background, strategies, tactics and battlefield experiences of the greatest commanders in history, Oxford: Osprey Publishing, 2010.
10. Freeman, Southall Douglas; McPherson M. James; Harwel Richard, Lee, New York: Scribner, 1997.
11. Gallagher, W. Garry, Lee the Soldier, Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1996.
12. Grabowski, A. Patricia, Robert E. Lee: Confederate General, New York: Chelsea House Publications, 2000.
13. Horn, Jonathan, The Man Who Would Not Be Washington: Robert E. Lee's Civil War and His Decision That Changed American History, New York: Scribner, 2015.
14. Korda, Michael, Clouds of Glory: The Life and Legend of Robert E. Lee, New York: Harper Collins Publishers, 2014.
15. Nolan, Alan, Lee Considered: General Robert E. Lee and Civil War History, Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1996.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe R

New Jersey
msg tools
mbmb
I second the suggestion re searching Amazon. For bibliographical information, hard to beat. Only thing you have to watch for there is that some of the books they list may be out of print or otherwise hard to find (or really expensive).

Another source of bibliographical information are the Wikipedia articles on your subject. While I would not necessarily use the article as a scholarly source (except maybe on technical issues or for pictures), the references and the bibliography they include are at least a place to start. Sometimes the Other Links section refers you out to other stuff as well.

And if you don't know much about the subject, the articles are again ok places to start.

PS -- Re American Civil War (ACW) history in general, you need to be aware that the historiography of the ACW is still hotly debated even amongst scholarly historians. In plainer English, the "Lost Cause" myth was perpetrated starting in the 1880s and still plays a role in writing about history. Much twaddle has been written and still continues to be written (and believed) about the ACW. Which is an interesting subject in and of itself. For more on that, Gallagher's book The Myth of the Lost Cause would be a place to start. Demon of the Lost Cause by Wesley Moody is another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls