Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cherry Coke
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crossroads-companion-app/id9...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mercer
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the app to my iPad and it's a bust!!

The app seems fine except that the audio doesn't play - and that's the part I bought it for!

In the time I downloaded and tested it I see that other people have left reviews on the app store saying the same thing, I probably should have waited but I was too excited.

I'm sure the audio will be fixed at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gaius Cordovan
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the audio (sound & voice) does play on my iPhone 5.
I thing just the UI needs some tweaking. Please! (why a button, when tabbing the card would be fine?) whz button, when "side slide" would work just fine? please we do sone of the UI!)

great app so far! I hope it will get nice updates. we're pretty happy so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bent Nikolaisen
Norway
flag msg tools
Sometimes audio for warnings and alarm gets turned off on my ipad (no idea why). Audio like music/youtube plays fine, but sound in some apps get muted. For me changing the side toggle button function fixes this. Just a thought....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've tried this app on IPhone 4s, 6, and an IPad air, and everything worked wonderfully.

I do wish there was a way to mark/save a card for those crossroads that have a condition that resolves at the end of the next round.

Edit: Also, if you plan on using a Bluetooth speaker, I recommend turning the background/ambient sounds off otherwise it will devour the battery on your device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mercer
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
twicethecaffeine wrote:

The app seems fine except that the audio doesn't play - and that's the part I bought it for!

In the time I downloaded and tested it I see that other people have left reviews on the app store saying the same thing, I probably should have waited but I was too excited.

I can only put my previous statements down to dumb-ass-user syndrome. ;-(

I came home this evening from a day out and tried the app again and it worked perfectly. I changed no settings (as far as I'm aware) and there was no update (again as far as I'm aware).

Sorry Plaid Hat Games, I did you a dis-service!

This will only add to the experience of an all ready super fun (for my gaming group) game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
twicethecaffeine wrote:
twicethecaffeine wrote:

I can only put my previous statements down to dumb-ass-user syndrome. ;-(

I came home this evening from a day out and tried the app again and it worked perfectly. I changed no settings (as far as I'm aware) and there was no update (again as far as I'm aware).

Sorry Plaid Hat Games, I did you a dis-service!

This will only add to the experience of an all ready super fun (for my gaming group) game.

Happens to the best of us Tim. I hope you get to use it soon. Eric's narration really adds to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Dunning
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still does not work on the 6+. I have tried reinstalling and still nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it include the option to add the promo cards you own to the xroads deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:

It's pretty bare bones. In fact, I think there's a bug and one of the cards was reported to the developer as missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
locusshifter wrote:
mrsuitcase wrote:

It's pretty bare bones. In fact, I think there's a bug and one of the cards was reported to the developer as missing.

The missing card was found and the Android version has been updated. The iOS version will be updated once it goes through Apple's update process...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Dunning
United States
Murfreesboro
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update. I think it's going to be a sweet app!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
deanthedream80 wrote:
Thanks for the update. I think it's going to be a sweet app!

Thanks! I hope it doesn't disappoint.

If it does, let us know what we can do to improve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Stone
United States
Ephrata
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish hidden consequences would be an option not a requirement, it's such a different game with them hidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
gripnerd wrote:
I really wish hidden consequences would be an option not a requirement, it's such a different game with them hidden.

You can still read them manually by going back and forth. I am the same way - PHG designed them to be read not hidden... Its a zombie simulator - the theme comes through regardless of knowing or not. Besides, until the app has endless card mode, hidden consequences are temporary anyway. All my opinion of course...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Müllner
Austria
St.Andrä-Wördern
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Same problem here with my Ipad Air 1. Audio voice doesn't work, and that's why I bought the app. It seems there is definately a problem with the app as I'm not the only one with that problem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hogfather1304 wrote:
Same problem here with my Ipad Air 1. Audio voice doesn't work, and that's why I bought the app. It seems there is definately a problem with the app as I'm not the only one with that problem!

Is the app completely silent or does the intro music and/or the background sfx play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Müllner
Austria
St.Andrä-Wördern
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both intro music and sound / fx are playing, but the voiceover for the cards is not playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hogfather1304 wrote:
Both intro music and sound / fx are playing, but the voiceover for the cards is not playing.

Thanks for the info, when you tap on the red 'Play' button, does it turn into a 'pause' button with no voice coming out of it? Some folks have reported that the buttons are sluggish when registering touch and may take a couple of taps before it registers. I just wanted to confirm that it's a problem with the voice and not a UI touch sensitivity issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Müllner
Austria
St.Andrä-Wördern
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dooh! Silly me, I just figured out now that there IS a play button UNDER the card! When you hit that, then everything works fine!
Thanks for the reply and the question abiut the play button though, otherwise I probably wouldn't have re-checked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
hogfather1304 wrote:
Dooh! Silly me, I just figured out now that there IS a play button UNDER the card! When you hit that, then everything works fine!
Thanks for the reply and the question abiut the play button though, otherwise I probably wouldn't have re-checked!

Glad it's working for you.

There is an update coming soon for iOS (already out on Android) that also addresses a few issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Stone
United States
Ephrata
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played with the app tonight... the general consensus was negative.
1. Passing a phone around is a little clunky.
2. Not knowing consequences was only kind of interesting... felt like it made the game more random than anything.
3. We had two cards that were wrong... or at least seemed that way.
a. running out of ammo after shooting a zombie... the trigger read "after using the ability of an item"... item doesn't equal gun.
b. i forget the exact card, but it was something like "these useless helpless survivors, they're eating all our food, etc" but it wasn't triggered by the presence of helpless survivors, so when it triggered nothing happened because there weren't any.
4. we had a few cards that triggered things in later rounds or had other effects where being able to keep a physical copy of the card around would be really helpful. we just used crossroads cards face down, but having the actual text of the card there would be nice.

I'd love to see some more customization in the app.... being able to upload a card list... or modify the exsisting one...
and the ability to show consequences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emerson @NazcaGames
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
gripnerd wrote:
Just played with the app tonight... the general consensus was negative.
1. Passing a phone around is a little clunky.
2. Not knowing consequences was only kind of interesting... felt like it made the game more random than anything.
3. We had two cards that were wrong... or at least seemed that way.
a. running out of ammo after shooting a zombie... the trigger read "after using the ability of an item"... item doesn't equal gun.
b. i forget the exact card, but it was something like "these useless helpless survivors, they're eating all our food, etc" but it wasn't triggered by the presence of helpless survivors, so when it triggered nothing happened because there weren't any.
4. we had a few cards that triggered things in later rounds or had other effects where being able to keep a physical copy of the card around would be really helpful. we just used crossroads cards face down, but having the actual text of the card there would be nice.

I'd love to see some more customization in the app.... being able to upload a card list... or modify the exsisting one...
and the ability to show consequences.

1. One method that may alleviate this is to have one person (the device owner to start) be in charge of checking the triggers for the round. When it's that player's turn, he passes the device to the player to his right. This will reduce the number of times the device is passed.

2. You can always see the results of an option before making a decision by tapping on each one.

3. The text should match up with their physical counterpart (with the exception of certain special characters). Did you see a case where they didn't match?

4. Certain cards that have a persistent effect such as "HORSE" or "ARCTIC KING" will require that the physical card be in play as a reminder of it's effect. This was something we had discussed and felt that having a reminder icon in the app or something along those lines wouldn't do a very good job as it's very easy to overlook. So unfortunately, you'll still need to use the physical cards for those instances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Stone
United States
Ephrata
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. sure that would work... just misses the communal aspect that the physical cards had

2. i didn't realize that, that's a nice option(but the arrows can get confusing)

3. the cards had that seemed wrong were:

4. yeah, i think design wise not doing anything was the right choice, i'm just saying that feels like a weakness in having an app at all.

oh, and I do love the look and feel of the app, and the readings are great, I'm just not sure that in this case an app is better than a deck of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
gripnerd wrote:
1. sure that would work... just misses the communal aspect that the physical cards had

2. i didn't realize that, that's a nice option(but the arrows can get confusing)

3. the cards had that seemed wrong were:

4. yeah, i think design wise not doing anything was the right choice, i'm just saying that feels like a weakness in having an app at all.

oh, and I do love the look and feel of the app, and the readings are great, I'm just not sure that in this case an app is better than a deck of cards.

What IF the app continuously updated to provide a new randomized deck of crossroads cards from an ever growing pool? Would that make it better than the standard deck of physical crossroad cards?

I agree, especially with the promos I have, the deck wins. BUT if they can get the pool of cards up (while maintaining the ratio of character activation cards to other types - meaning they may need multiple character specific cards...) then the app may be the preferred way to play...

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.