Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Lorrimer
United Kingdom
Harrow on the Hill
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been seeking out those uncommon games that are best with three, for instance Bottle Imp, and Ra is on my radar. However, I don't have Ra and it's probably too complex for my group.

Meanwhile, despite reports that it's very similar to Ra, it seems to be best at 4 rather than 3. Do you think that's fair? Or do you think that the mechanics should really have it best at 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra is not a complex game and it plays great with 3. By "not complex" I would estimate it is easier than most trick taking games to pick up.

Not sure why PoR wouldn't be best with 3 as well, the core mechanics are the same, but perhaps it's just sampling error because there are so many fewer people who have played PoR?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Ra is not a complex game and it plays great with 3. By "not complex" I would estimate it is easier than most trick taking games to pick up.

Not sure why PoR wouldn't be best with 3 as well, the core mechanics are the same, but perhaps it's just sampling error because there are so many fewer people who have played PoR?
That'd be my vote as well. Ra is recommended at 2 to 5p. So is this. Ra is best with 3 or 4. This doesn't have a best. I'm no statistician, but 319 vs. 19 votes does seem to be too little to get stuff out of for "best".

I'd treat this attribute just like Ra. Feel free to do 3p. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

FTR, PoR isn't that complex either. Pretty much to compare and contrast, the auction mechanisms are near identical. It's just that with the tiles, there's more variety of them in Ra, but PoR has more going on within each of the tile types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Follow me on InstagramMicrobadge: Extended Stats userMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: GameChat League - Swedish Meatball Division
Quote:
Pretty much to compare and contrast, the auction mechanisms are near identical.
near? Is there any difference at all?
I'd say the only added complexity to the game is that tiles are double-sided so when you take them you have to decide which side to use, but that's it.
And I always thought both are best with 4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
I'd say the only added complexity to the game is that tiles are double-sided so when you take them you have to decide which side to use
It's when you draw them you decide which side to put on the track, not when you take them you decide which side to use.

(It's not significantly added complexity - the different tile types and scoring rules are a bigger new thing to learn - but it is an added opportunity for analysis paralysis. Though I've not seen people take that opportunity fortunately.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Follow me on InstagramMicrobadge: Extended Stats userMicrobadge: Parent of Two Girls and One BoyMicrobadge: Devoted FatherMicrobadge: GameChat League - Swedish Meatball Division
Dearlove wrote:
It's when you draw them you decide which side to put on the track, not when you take them you decide which side to use.
Oh, right. I played it too long ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
Oh, right. I played it too long ago.
I had to think carefully before posting without checking the rules. Because I have played it with various alternatives, and not by mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
Quote:
Pretty much to compare and contrast, the auction mechanisms are near identical.
near? Is there any difference at all?
I'd say the only added complexity to the game is that tiles are double-sided so when you take them you have to decide which side to use, but that's it.
And I always thought both are best with 4...
I guess I could've put "near" in quotes, but I still felt it was a spot on wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls